Werewolf: Night Three

C

Chaos Turtle

The sun has set for the last time on your Village.

The Werewolves' blood thirst, along with the mob's own hysterically murderous tendencies, have claimed enough lives that the Werewolves no longer need fear for their own safety. No longer outnumbered, they are free to rise up and slaughter the remaining two Villagers.

Congratulations to Spiderman and Jigglypuff, who managed to deflect suspicion from themselves and onto the other Villagers, even eliminating the danger from the Seer (though I don't know if they knew it or not).

Please feel free to post here and describe your strategies (if you had one) and any feedback you might have about the game. I'll be ready in a week or so with the tweaks for the next version, which will include special items. (More players = more items = more fun.)

Thanks for playing!

G

Gerode

My computer goes out for a week (typing this at the library BTW), and people decide to KILL ME?!?!?!?!??! That dastardly Spiderman! After Sageridder was innocent (sorry bud), my next vote definitely would have been Spidey, even without 20/20 hindsight.

Jigglypuff came from nowhere, though...

E

EricBess

Did nobody notice that I was trying to cast suspicion on Spiderman? After I suggest that he might be changing his vote just a bit too quickly, I suddenly die...Did nobody notice? :D

Congrats Spidey and Jigglypuff. I have to say, I had no idea who the other werewolf was. I thought perhaps it was you too, Gerode.

Good game all.

Strategy? Stay alive one more turn. finding out rkoelsch wasn't a werewolf wasn't very useful turn one, so I voted for him, knowing he wouldn't be booted based on the bids to throw suspicion off myself.

I think I hit too close to home for Spidey, so he got rid of me, but no one noticed. At that point, I knew Spidey for sure, but I was too dead to say anything.

R

rkoelsch

I can understand how Spidey looked like a good suspect but having played in other games with him he is always trying to get things moving so I really wasn't sure. I think I probably hurt our cause more than helped it. This is much harder on the computer because you can use other indicators other than a persons word to tell if they are lying. Still a very interesting game.

S

sageridder

Boy spiderman fooled me good.I dismissed him offhand figuring he wouldn't be werewolf or seer because he wouldn't be here this week.I thought jigglypuff was a wolf because he seemed to me to be protecting rkoelsch,I belived rkoelsch was as well for this reason.My hanging after accusing him seemed to confirm this to me as well.Ericbess just curious how did you figure rkoelsch wasn't one in the first round?My only strategy was watching for players acting like a team.Fun game would be only better with more players, It would have been fun with the seer or at least someone claiming to be one.

E

EricBess

Yeah, but there is a problem with the seer. I suspose there were a couple of ways to go about it. You could claim right off to be the seer and hope like crazy that the werewolves will protect you because taking you out would essencially confirm the fact that you are indeed the seer. And, if you don't have a lot of information, you can be killed quickly without gaining anything.

Case in point. Suppose on day one, I had said, "Hey, I'm the seer and I know that rkoelsch isn't a werewolf." What would have been my odds of lasting the next night?

Well, I didn't last anyway, but it was because I was getting a bit too close with my suspicions anyway.

I first suspected Spidey when he tried to get the seer to tip his hand. Go back and read the first day and see what I'm talking about.

I all but accused him, but I needed to know for sure. Problem is, either I didn't accuse strongly enough, or nobody paid any attention to what had been said to and by the person who got the axe night two.

Anyway, I knew for sure because I was the seer. But like I said, by the time I had any information to keep me alive, it was already too late.

S

sageridder

Hmm see your point.So when you gave me the oppertunity to claim to be seer you were baiting me to see if I was a wolf.Nice play.:D

J

Jigglypuff

This was a really interesting game on the computer, because like rkoelsch said, you have nothing else other than how trustworthy you think the other players are. IRL, you can look at their body language, especially when you start accusing them.

I was a little surprised that my name was never mentioned as a suspect...

And CT, with Spidey on vacation, what would you have done if I had been eliminated on the second day?

(- Steve -)

E

EricBess

sagerrider - Well, that and to try to divert suspicion off myself. But thanks :)

Truth is, after day one, I was pretty sure that either you are Spiderman was a werewolf, so it was all about trying to stay alive long enough for that to matter.

C

Chaos Turtle

Jiggly, I truly don't know. I'm glad it didn't come to that.

R

rkoelsch

I would like to play in the next one too. I will try not to murder too many innocent players unless I am the werewolf.

having reread day one I can see I brought some baggage with me into the game. I need to approach each game as a fresh start and not compare to past games. very good game though. most anxious to see if I can get better.

J

Jigglypuff

Man, this was a fun game, but I think I'll stay out this time.

(- Steve -)

G

Gerode

I'm up for a new game of this. Tell us about your message board-modified version.

C

Chaos Turtle

I need a few more days, maybe a week or two. I've been sorting cards and... I just can't... *sob*

If you've ever sorted six blocks of cards for the first time in a couple of years, you know what I mean.

Thanks for your interest and patience, though; I'm looking forward to Werewolf 2.0.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Though in hindsight it's kinda easy to see, I still had no clue that EricBess was trying to finger me as a werewolf. Since so many people were saying they didn't know and just guessing, I figured him to be the same and not have any strategy in mind.

And I still wouldn't have a clue how to really play even if I was a regular Villager. There isn't anything really to get any info from.

Who was the seer? Was it theorgg?

I'll play again though, when it comes up... :)

R

rkoelsch

The seer was EricBess that is why he knew I wasn't a werewolf first turn. He was just trying to last long enough to help.

E

EricBess

Yep, that's right.

I agree with you Spidey that it is hard for the villagers to know what to do, especially if you're not used to diplomatic style games. The thing to remember is that the werewolves have a reason for getting rid of who they do. Means, motive, opportunity... But on the other hand, it is very easy for a werewolf to use that information to mislead, also, which gets you back to square one.

I suspect that playing this in real life has a couple of side benefits. 1) It all happens at once, so you can remember impressions that you get about how and why people react. 2) It is not written down, so you cannot review everything that was said. That's actually important in two ways. On the one hand, you can mislead and then change a story. Can't do that here because people can see what was said before. On the other hand, you can look back over things and see if there was any motivation. However, I suspect the werewolf is more likely to take advantage of this than the villagers. 3) and this is the most obvious difference--online, there are no "non-verbal" clues. The reactions that form the impressions mentioned in #1 are simply non-existant.

I still think it is a great mind game online (and I have learned from my mistakes), so I'm willing to go another round when CT is ready, but IRL really fills it out.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I got it now, re-reading his post, but I had no idea... I guess that was good, not coming out in the open, but I don't know how others would have picked up that he was trying to finger me and his death proved it. Oh well... :p

[Edited 'cause EricBess posted right before me]

Well, I guess it won't be giving things away as to tell that our first and third victim was purely at random (I think the third was). EricBess was our only specific target but (I guess) because everyone else was confused, his death didn't cause any undue suspicion (too many names were being flung around).

I am impressed that Jigglypuff managed to stay out of it though :)