Welcome to vBulletin 2.0!

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Opinions yes, but do I need to deal with this s**t? No. I have a multitude of other sites I can start up (and am starting up), so it's not like this is my only "presence".

What does the CPA do for me? Not too much.

S

superguy

Look Ed, I know what it feels like. But I don't think you've considered, and correct me if I'm wrong, that because of those 2 ignorant f******, you are also turning your back on everyone else. I understand that keeping the message boards and getting nothing back seems like a stupid and worthless job, especially when people give you shit. But everyone else loves you man. We may not say it very often, but we sure as hell appreciate what you've done for this site. Please don't leave!

S

superguy

One more thing, Hetemi, you need to understand that these boards are a privelege. Ed doesn't have to do anything, and he just tried making the site better. he said this was the beta version. There would be changes made. Now, you right away make a post dissing the hell out of these boards. Come on. Appreciate these boards dammit. they're a gift, and Ed has done a damn good job in keeping them. So be grateful.

J

Jaws10387

And, to add to that, the boards are better. Ed, please don't leave. If you leave the CPA and it dies, where will the rest of us go?

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Hetemti
…MAKE IT STOP!!!

First, you f***** up the boards by making them U/W instead of O/B. Now you f** (sorry to any gays out there, I'm a slave to popular slang) them up with square root signs in little boxes, disturbing arrows that botch up the thread titles, and most importantly, I can't tell where the updated threads are because instead of "YES" and "NO" represented by boolean symbols, we have "ENVELOPE," "ENVELOPE," "ENVELOPE," "ENVELOPE," "ENVELOPE," "ENVELOPE," and "ENVELOPE." All of which look the same to someone with 20/50+ vision.

And this font in the reply box is KILLING ME!!! How did Microsoft brainwash everyone into using Tahoma. It's EVERYWHERE! Get away from me, stupid, ugly font!!!

Oh, and now even the text is blue...

!!!!!THUMP!!!!!

(The CPA Message Boards have officially received The Thump.)
Precisely how friggin' stupid ARE you?

Okay. Let's just ignore for a moment the fact that Ed took his time...HIS OWN FREE TIME...out to do this update.
Let's also ignore the fact that he did it for unappreciative wretches like yourself.

WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION?!

First of all, a good rule in life is, don't say anything you have to apologize for. There may BE some gay members in here, and I want you to understand: 'homosexual' is to 'fag' as 'black' is to 'nigger'. If you wouldn't say one, don't say the other.

Let me go ON to say that you get onto these message boards for free. You don't have to put any time and/or effort into their upkeep, or anything else whatsoever to be here. As such, you have NO right to criticize Ed on what he does with the...excuse me, with HIS boards.

Furthermore, nobody is FORCING you to stay here. If you don't like it, leave! I've often discovered things at websites I liked that weren't there before, that irritated me. I may have asked about it, or expressed my disapproval, but this was WAY over the top. Your attitude is *totally* unacceptable, unwelcome, immature, ungrateful, and generally miserable.

This isn't YOUR internet. If you don't like it, leave.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Let's just put something in perspective here...

If I were doing this as a company website, with all the upkeep, changes, tons of custom programming, at $40/hour (which is low for programming stuff [$65-$150] and relatively low for design [$30-$100]), I figure there's about $30,000 to $40,000 worth of my time I put in here.

How much have I gotten? Nothing, in fact I lost about $15 when buying the CPA-Mail.Net domain.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
AHHH!!!!!!! I GET HERE AND EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!! WHO WOULD'VE KNOWN THAT GOING TO A PRE-RELEASE WOULD HAVE HAD THIS MUCH EFFECT ON ONE WEB SITE!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

A

arhar

Bitch and whine, endlessly, about everything... SOME PEOPLE should get freaking lives! Not even going into the "common courtesy and respect for other peoples' hard work" area, because obviously SOME PEOPLE just don't get it. Ed, all I've got to say is I hope you know not everyone here is like that. Some (and I hope most) of us do realize and appreciate all that you're doing for the CPA. If you are leaving, I wish you good luck with your other sites and I'll keep in touch with you on ICQ, but I would really like you to stay with us :)

S

superguy

I understand that, and I assume that the message boards weren't free either, however I urge you to reconsider. I mean, I'm pretty sure that if you ever asked people here to help you with something, we always would. I don't know how we can make this up to you, but if you can think of a way, I'd like to hear about it. By the way, once again thanks for doing a great job at maintaining the site.

B

Baskil

I like the new look, especially the off-white background.

And Ed, when there is change, there will always be people opposed to it. Add to that the immature nature of some (no names) people on this board, you're bound to get what you got in this thread.

People also need to realize that this a *free* site. Those banners you see up there? They never come close to repaying almost slave labor that was put into constructing this site. And, if you have an opinion about it, say it in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner. Spouting epithets and whining gets you nowhere. It's no wonder that (gamers) are viewed as socially inept when we have people like that shouting over the normal people's heads. Grow the **** up already!

*I* for one appreciate the work that you have done for this site. I may not be the ideal member, but it's somewhere for me to hang out and discuss. That's all it is, and all it should be.

(People. Remember that you are reading the TEXT in the messages. Who cares what the rest of the site looks like? I mean the look of the site can help, but it's the content that is important.)

U

Ura

For crying out loud! I leave for a little while and everything has to go to hell in a handbag.

Hetemti, who the hell shoved a cactus up your ass this morning? Its one thing to say that you don't like something but something totally different to scream and curse about it with such uncalled for and unwelcome derogatory remarks such as "fag".

This is part of the reason I took off for a little while, not only because of being tired of magic at the moment but because some people around here can't act remotely mature to save their lives and I was getting tired of seeing it every time I popped in. Sorry if I'm a prude in saying this, but GROW UP!!! I really didn't want to have to come back to this or even come back to write this, but I feel its necessary as I still consider myself a CPA member.

The same thing goes for all you other people who are screaming and crying about it being changed, its not YOUR site, its Ed's, bottom line, period. If he wants to rebuild it with a pink, green, and yellow flower pattern he can, and nothing we do or say is going to change it.
I personally think that the upgrade to v2.0 is great, the new buttons and features really add to the color scheme and give it that touch of class that it was semi-lacking before. The icons are easy to understand and having a matching set of them is not only good consistency, but visually nice on the eyes. The spell check feature is great too, no more having to look dumb because I can't spell.
Did I like the original color change, not totally, but I could see why it was done and understand the reasoning behind it and when it was explained by both Leshrac and Ed, it made sense, and you know what? They were right.
You know what else, Ed is still right. There is absolutely no reason he should have to put up with s****y attitudes like that, to get constructive criticism is one thing, but the uncalled for reaming and bitching that some people are putting up is ridiculous. I honestly don't blame him for quitting if that's his final decision, I really really hope that he doesn't, but how much crap can one person swallow before they decide to spit it back in your face?
Hell, its incredible that Ed even makes himself known by doing things like telling us if the boards will be down or saying what he did in the upgrade, or that fact that he even talks to us at all when theres no real reason for it. Anything that we would need done could be handled by the others administrators, but Ed decides to make himself accessible to ideas and comments, there are very few other message board owners that do that kind of thing, hell its even the same in things like IRC and other communication mediums on the net.
Kind of reminds me of ancient Rome or whenever it was. Jesus made himself known to mankind and what did mankind do? We crucified him for crying out loud, what kind of response is that? A pretty damn lousy one if you ask me.

Some of you people say your casual magic players and community get together type people, well you know what, you disgust me. Save the world some trouble and go throw yourselves in front of a speeding train. This kind of crying and complaining isn't what a community is about or casual magic is about. I think Ed deserves an apology for some of the comments made not only in this thread, but in others as well.

I'll ask, hell, I'll get down on my knees and beg, that you Ed will stay with the CPA and don't toss us aside because of a group of people that can't give a shred of respect while making their comments about your hard work and dedication. A lot of us here really appreciate all you do even though it brings you nothing but grief sometimes.

Returned from shadow in disgust....
Ura

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Though Ura (and quite a few others) have it covered pretty well. There are a few misconceptions I'd like to clear up though. The first refers to those banners you see. Those banners don't generate one dollar for the site. Not one. The orange and black one for TMOB (our host) is the only way we compensate ChasDen for hosting us, and the silver and black one for MOTL is the result of a banner trade suggested by Leshrac, who owns the MOTL site.

Neither one puts a penny into Mike's pocket.

Secondly, Ura mentioned that Mike was especially cool for coming on in person to introduce the changes, when any of the other Admins could have done it. Mike is especially cool, but believe me, none of the rest of us could do the things he's done with the site. If he leaves the CPA will cease to exist.

Period.

Does that mean you're all not allowed to complain? No, not really, but as has already been suggested, such complaints should be more in the nature of suggestions, not demands. And certainly not rave-outs, like Hetemti's and Ransac's. You guys are totally out of line, and the only saving grace here is that the majority of our people aren't like you.

Thank God.

Oh, BTW, I like the new features, and once the image thing is smoothed out I think everyone else will too. And I think it's time to put that whole orange and black thing to rest. It was a cool color scheme, but with the adjustments Mike made (in response to thoughtfully worded suggestions) this scheme is also pretty cool. It's more professional looking too, which is fairly important when you're trying to get a major corporation like Hasbro/WotC to pay attention to what you've got to say.

Isn't that why we're here?

Z

Zadok001

The CPA is a wonderful site.

I believe these changes are for the better.

Why?

Simple: Ed made the choice.

Ed is very, very intelligent, and, to my knowledge, has never made a change to the CPA that I consider to be a bad one. Everything he's done has improved this place. Yes, it looks funny - That's ONLY because you aren't used to it. In a week, you won't even notice the change. And you may be grateful for the new spell checker, the names you can change yourself, etc...

It's worth the slight suprise of logging on with funny colors. :)

Ed deserves the respect and appreciation of EVERY CPA member. Simply because we wouldn't exist without him. Ed is brilliant, and his work here has been brilliant as well. I couldn't have more respect for the guy. Everyone else really should feel the same way. As TomB said, everyone knows this site is totally non-profit. I do this admin work because I love it. Ed does his work because... Well, he doesn't play Magic as much anymore, so he basically does it out of the goodness of his heart. We aren't paying him, or giving him ANYTHING in return. That means he's being EXTREMELY generous with us.

If you don't like a change... Well, just trust me, in all likelyhood, it'll improve the CPA. And it's being done by someone who bears us no ill will, someone who has been with us since the very beginning of this journey.

Ed is our friend.

We respect our friends.

Best of luck to Ed, in whatever choices he may make. We'll all miss him if he leaves, but I for one won't be angry, or begging him to return. Why? Because I understand why he would leave, and I think it is a decision that belongs in whole to him.

Good luck, Ed. Never stop being yourself.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Some people are idiots...

Anyway, I like the new design ed/mike. I *love* the spellchecker...whoo!

Way to be.

[Haha, Spellchecker is spelled wrong...:) -FoR]

B

Bob

Hetemti has oficially recieved the Thump.

I like them like this. It's better than the last, and better than the first, but if the colors of the old were mixed with the options of this, it would be great, but I'll take it like this.

Ed did all this work to make the site great, and now Hetemti has to hate it, and use language that kids at my school use...(I may be insane, but I'm not disgusting)

BAN HETEMTI!!!!!!!!!!!! (not really)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I for one like the new look, lots of new options, kudos to you Ed and for all your hard work, thank you very much

M

Multani

Interesting improvements Ed. I might use Netscape more often as the dark boxes are getting on my nerves. I daresay it looks a lot like the MOTL boards. Maybe you could make it so that it will look the same on IE and Netscape (Without the dark lines.)

The spellcheck option is nice(though I probably won't use it much.)
My only real complaint is the thing involving new posts. I would suggest making new posts and old posts different colors as it's easier to identify. I also am seeing dots on some threads, and I assume they represent I have an e-mail notification on that thread. Overall really nice.

Now, seeing as I am still able to post, I assume you have not abandoned the CPA...yet. If you ever do leave in a fit of rage, expect me to play devil's advocate and give you a fiery speech why not to leave. :D Now, if it's money, you're concerned with....I can donate some $ if you're really that desperate. Now, you said that you get nothing from the CPA. Frankly, you're dead wrong. The CPA gives you fulfillment. I don't think you can say that creating a board that is the home of hundreds of people is not fulfilling. I don't think you can say watching everyone socialize and talk about Magic and other things that you are not proud of the CPA. And most of all, I don't believe that you are not happy to receive the admiration of each and every active member in this community, myself included of course. You see, you may not get very many material or tangible benefits from this site, but what you do get is worth more than any amount of money any message board can achieve.

Well...it seems I've already delivered part of that fiery speech. :)
To Hetmeti and Ransac: I look on you with both pity and anger. I pity the fact that you are only capable of looking for the bad rather than all there is that is good. I also pity you because all you see is that which is tangible. You don't see the unity, the friendships. All you see is images on a computer screen. However, how you expressed your shortcomings is totally inacceptable. I will look at this incident as a slip of uncontrolled rage. Next time, you will receive some very hot flames from me. (via e-mail of course.)

I like to end this with my gratitude toward Mike, and all the work he put into the Post Reply screen to turn it into a mini-Word Processor. :) I appreciate all you have done with these boards, and I do hope that this community will remain vital and alive long after you or any of the founders leave. Think of this as your legacy....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, was I missing those... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the site really looks the same, just some new button to play with, like PJ said. Well, maybe some new icons too, but as long as I can tell the last replies and which forums have new posts, all is right with me...

And no need to curse or slander guys, you can express your outrage with other words...

I

Ihsans Shade

I am of the mind that Ed has damn good job runing the place, I would like to see the colors reverted back to black and orange, but the blue/off-white works just the same. Ur(z)a has a point about some people not being very mature, but then again not everyone here is a Forty year old coronor.

Just a thought...
Ihsan's Shade