Warriors: Cateran's Guide to being a Troll

C

Cateran Emperor

I'll be updating this regularly for all you other Trolls who are following in my footsteps. Anyone who wants to add anything feel free, but please try to keep this thread neat. I want this to be a basic guide in a single post if possible, to keep from being redundant. As such, if you could PM me any additions or corrections, I'll be glad to credit you for it.

Introduction to Trolls

First of all NO, you do not get regeneration. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

As a rule, you are a monster in combat. If you die, it's going to be because you encounter a demon that saps your hit points. You have a huge number of hit points, high defense, and a massive offense. Most anything you encounter is going to fall with you taking a handful of damage (1-3 is common, and also absolutely nothing to worry about)

So what's the problem? Buying a good item is going to be an exceptionally rare event and definately one to celebrate. Your charisma, intelligence, and find item ratings start in the pits and they do not get better very quickly. I'll tell you how to get around this later on.

Hard Stats For a Level 1 Troll
30 <- Hit Points

20 <- Defense
40 <- Attack

14 <- Strength
02 <- Intelligence
04 <- Dexterity
02 <- Charisma
02 <- Find Items

Starting Out
The first mistake I made, and one that you should figure out quickly, is that you are an idiot. If you start adventuring immediately, you're going to get lost and you're going to lose a lot of turns (2-5 turns per time). The solution? Pray. My basic rule is that you should pray for about 1/7 of your turns at the start of each time you login if you plan to adventure. In other words, if you have 20 turns, pray for 3 and then head out. The advantage here is that you will never lose more than 2 turns if you get lost and it will allow you to enter Valhalla earlier (more on that later)

When you start, I recommend you pray for 3 turns, then spend the entirety of the first session adventuring. It isn't likely that you will find much, but you will be attacked with good frequency (goblins do not take kindly to trolls) and so you almost always will hit second level before your initial turns run out.

When you reach level 2, dump all of your points into Charisma, Find Item, and Intelligence. You start as such a powerful fighter that, unlike the other species, you can easily get to level 6 or 7 before you even have to consider bolstering your strength. Your other stats though, are woefully short compared to everyone else. Your low charisma means that the shopkeeper at the market will sell you very little at first and he's going to charge you higher prices for them.

Before you log out of your first session, make certain to stop by the marketplace. You probably will not have a lot of gold, but your low charisma is going to limit your selection anyway. Your first purchase, completely regardless, should give you a charisma bonus. Every other purchase you make should have charisma and find item first in mind until you have a buyer's value in the 60-75 range. At that point, start buying for attack and defense.

The Old Man
During your encounters, it's likely that you will encounter an old man who will ask you a riddle. Get it right, and he will do one of four things:

1. Heal you to your max HP
This is utterly useless for you. Seriously. You have a huge number of base hit points, and you resurrect the next day if you die anyway. The sole exception is if you have a lot of turns and very few hit points left. In this case though, I recommend you simply stop adventuring until your turns get lower by going to the arena.

2. Give you extra turns
This is acceptable if you have a low buyer's value, (below 50 or so) this is an acceptable choice. It is still not the best one for any level of character, and you'll want to look on to the last option.

3. Change your item
Again, this is likely not worth your while considering what is next...

4. GOLD
This is what you should choose every time you get him. You will, literally, get an avelanche of gold dropped on you. I have personally averaged a whopping 21000 gold per visit from the old man. Not too shabby, particularly considering the fact that your charisma is going to keep things expensive for quite some time.

Guilds
This is obviously going to take some time to complete, but until then I recommend going the route of the Trolls' Pact. That will guarantee that you will never have to divert points to Strength and health again.

The Guilds
The Trolls' Pact
Requirements: Level 5
Cost: 1000 to join, 100/day
Effect: +4 Strength/day, +2 HP/day
Rating: *****/*****

The Trolls' Pact is what will keep you going. Take notice that when you sign in on a new day, the pact will have beaten you up. This will replenish your hit points to the old maximum (in other words, you'll start at the new maximum and then take the 2 damage)

Servants
Incomplete

The Bar and Getting Drunk
Incomplete

Valhalla and Beyond
Incomplete

C

Cateran Emperor

Erm, bump. If you didn't get my PM Spidey, could you please sticky this thread (and delete this second post here for that matter?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just got your PM today (been on vacation).

I'm not sure Stickying this is a good idea. I don't want Warriors to dominate this forum.

If there was a Warriors forum, it would be Stickyed :)

I'm sure we can direct new people to it if they have questions.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
I'm not sure Stickying this is a good idea. I don't want Warriors to dominate this forum.
LOL Spidey - I think Warriors is already dominating this forum! ;)

BTW, Cat, it seems to me that most of what you're saying here applies to the other races as well, and not just to trolls. I'd also recommend pouring all your PP into finding skill, as you pick up points in the other 4 areas while adventuring, and joining the Adventurers Inn ASAP.

Then you can start using the riddle man for extra turns...;)

C

Cateran Emperor

Alright, fair enough Spidey. Maybe we should start a Warriors forum considering how much space this is taking up :D

R

rkoelsch

Max stats for trolls INT 50 FIND 70 CHR 25

I will post the others when I reach them

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have some equipment that raises it and I've been finding fairly good stuff (no uniques though) so I've been concentrating on Charisma, Dex, and Int (the latter for jousting). Plus it raises a bit from the Adventurer's Guild, so I haven't worried about it so much.

S

sageridder

These are the max stats fo an elf
Strength: 100 MAX
Intelligence: 200 MAX
Dexterity: 175 MAX
Charisma: 75 MAX
Find item: 70 MAX
Life: 900 MAX
Pointpool: 22

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently the MAX for stats is dependent on level. When I posted 70 MAX for dex for dwarves, I was level 12 or 13. Now I gained a level and my max is 90.

Max for charisma is about 51.

R

rkoelsch

maybe not a matter of level but of social status. Or did this happen while you were the same social status?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was the same social status. There might have been a two level lag in between when I checked, since I jumped two levels in one playing session once, so it might rise 10 per level. But it definitely wasn't a fixed type of value.

S

sageridder

Gotta disagree with ya on dis one web head.I've watched the max numbers over the course of 20 levels and they didn't change.What I have seen happen sometimes when fighting certian creatures some stats got knocked down from the max values,but the numbers for max stated the same.I've seen this in both my elf and my human.Yeah ok I'm playing two warriors if some guy named ronny has been herassing you it was me .:p

S

sageridder

Max stats for human

Increase your stats!
Strength: 170 MAX
Intelligence: 150 MAX
Dexterity: 125 MAX
Charisma: 60 MAX
Find item: 70 MAX
Life: 704 MAX
Pointpool: 7

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But I know I've had more points in my point pool than that. Hell, I've had more than that given to me when I leveled up! :eek:

BTW, just for laughs I joined the Warrior's guild. They point out large treasures for you too, so it pays for itself, but I've yet to see how it affects combat. I'll try to let you all know when I find out. ;)

S

sageridder

The points in pointpool just happened to be what I had leftover when the stats maxed out.I wouldn't think there would be a max pointpool size since pointpool in and of itself dosn't effect gameplay.