Warlords IV

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It may be that I'm the only one interested in this, but I love this series since it was the first fantasy-based strategy wargame I played.

From today's Gamespy newsletter:
SSG Splits, Warlords IV Announced - Prophet
Ubi Soft announced a deal with Infinite Interactive to publish Warlords IV: Heroes of Etheria, the next installment in the popular series of fantasy turn-based strategy games. Originally developed by Australian-based Strategic Studies Group, Warlords IV: Heroes of Etheria is expected to ship in Q4 of 2003. Infinite Interactive, a splinter company of SSG headed up by Steve Fawkner, creator of the Warlords series is based in Melbourne, Australia. There had been deep concerns that SSG was closing when fans noticed that its regularly updated Warlords sites were not being updated on a regular basis anymore. Today's announcement explains a lot of that inactivity.

As to what Warlords IV: Heroes of Etheria will be, Ubi Soft says that it is a fantasy turn-based strategy game that follows the formula of the original games and offers new tactical combat features, a souped-up game engine, 3D terrain, new campaigns, improved AI, multiplayer functionality for co-op and combat for up to eight players, automated combat casting, ten different sides, 120 units, new victory conditions and an original score.

W

WickedBoy6

I've heard of the Warlords series, but never played it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's a great (to me) turn-based fantasy war/strategy game.

From Friday's Gamespy newsletter:
Warlords IV Site Opens - Kyote
Ubi Soft has opened the official Web site of Warlords IV: Heroes of Etheria, Infinite Interactive's upcoming fantasy turn-based strategy game. The site contains screens and a great deal of gameplay info.

Source: StrategyPlanet

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From today's Gamespy newsletter:
Warlords IV Media - Kyote
The official Web site of the upcoming turn-based fantasy game Warlords IV features new screenshots, an E3 report by Steve Fawkner, and two chapters of a new story set in the Warlords universe.

Source: StrategyPlanet

Melkor

Well, thats cool that they're coming out with a new one, I enjoy Warlords 3 quite a bit, but I've always thought the nuts and bolts of playing could have been much improved.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Which Warlords III did you have? Reign of Heros or Dark Lords Rising?

Which parts could have been improved?

S

Svenmonkey

Looks pretty spiffy from the screenshots, though I can't say I trust the artist who drew the woman on the page you just linked to.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What's wrong with her? :p

Seriously though, I'm not sure who the artist is although I can probably find out if it is game art and it's a small company working on Warlords IV.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The demo can be found at this German site... from what the Warlords IV message boards say, so far it's the only place and they may have released it prematurely as the developers were caught by surprise; they expected it to be out in another couple of weeks. The page is in German but the link near the bottom that says "Download starten" and shows Javascript() when you hold your mouse over it is the one to go to.

S

Svenmonkey

What's wrong with her? :p
I don't think many knights went around in scanty blue armor and loincloths. :p

I'll check out that demo. The demo itself's not in German, is it?

Edit: Darn, the download's 148 megabytes; a bit large for a dial-up user. Hopefully it comes on this month's or next month's Computer Games CD.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
She might be a Paladin... :) there was a back story going on at the Interactive site (I think the link to that is above) and a female Paladin was mentioned there.

From all reports, the demo itself is not in German. It just happened to be the Ubi Soft's German site, that's all.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, now that I look at her, she looks like an Elf... pointed ears and green clothing (green was the color of the Elf side).

The demo has been taken down due to "syncronocity problems" and is said to come up Sept. 8.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The demo is back up at Ubi Soft's site... and some things were fixed between it and the one on the German site, so you might want to get this one instead. Still big though.

S

Svenmonkey

I'm in school now, so I can download it there and either burn a disk (we got fancy new computers with flatscreens and stuff this year in the computer science lab. :) ) or split it and put it on zip disks.