Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Throg, who fails to hypnotize anything, should take the helm.
Maybe Ty need the Crown?
The Morningstar should go a melee first character.
I'd take the sword, unless it improves another melee first character.

turgy22

Nothing Special
It's got the exact same ability Throg already has. Besides, I don't think he can use anything "magical" unless it's a Chaos artefact.
Throg doesn't need anything, but he'll take whatever no one else wants to sell.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ty, you want any of those?

I don't see Melkor posting recently so maybe he forgot about this game - so once TomB says what he wants, I or someone can go through the other characters and see who needs what the most and if nobody needs something, Throg can keep it to sell

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EDIT: Or was that my Whirlwind attack for the adventure? If so, excellent time for it...:)
No, Ty hasn't used his Whirlwind attack ever, but doing a bit of cleanup on some details, it occurs to me that I have been a bit vague about that ability and the official Pit Fighter booklet is likewise. So to clarify, the Whirlwind skill trades Ty's "normal" attacks and his additional attack from his Sure-Handed skill for a single attack that hits all adjacent opponents. It does not take away bonus attacks from things like items and spells (Blade of Leaping Bronze, Magic Fist Spike, Knee Spikes, Dorgath's Flash Powder, Kelgar's blessings, Tomas' spells, etc.), so Ty could still use those in the same turn. I didn't initially have Whirlwind worded in a way that implied this, but it brings the skill in line with some slightly similar situations already encountered by Dorgath and Revaethan. It also happens to make the Whirlwind skill a bit more relevant, although getting much value out of it does involve Ty being at least partly surrounded...

Dang. Kelgar is a walking bank.
Yeah, it's a bit awkward. Kelgar has been with the party the whole time and the Warrior Priest does a lot of healing, which is awarded gold. But there just aren't a lot of things for him to buy and Melkor hasn't seen much of interest to spend that money on. In contrast, the Dwarf has a lot of opportunities to buy items that help himself and help the party overall. You've generally used those opportunities a lot, which is why Dorgath is almost tied for the lowest gold total despite being another one of the original party members.

Maybe Ty need the Crown?
The Morningstar should go a melee first character.
I'd take the sword, unless it improves another melee first character.
Notably, the sword would be a strict upgrade to Ty's current sword. It would also benefit Carrow, so the decision of which should use it is a matter of weighing those considerations against other possible options. For the crown, neither Tomas nor Revaethan can wear armor (including helms), so they'd seem to make sense for it. I mention that particularly because neither one really has a player character at this point (Rokapoke was last seen a year ago). Ty can only wear one specific helm (his helm that's part of the Pit Armor set), so maybe he'd prefer the crown anyway...

It's got the exact same ability Throg already has. Besides, I don't think he can use anything "magical" unless it's a Chaos artefact.
Yep. I'd already seen this treasure years ago in Warhammer Quest, but I didn't make the connection until I rolled for it. They gave the Helm of Possession and the Chaos Warrior's Hypnotic Gaze attribute the exact same effect.

Ty, you want any of those?

I don't see Melkor posting recently so maybe he forgot about this game - so once TomB says what he wants, I or someone can go through the other characters and see who needs what the most and if nobody needs something, Throg can keep it to sell
Melkor pops in occasionally, from what I've seen.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
No, Ty hasn't used his Whirlwind attack ever, but doing a bit of cleanup on some details, it occurs to me that I have been a bit vague about that ability and the official Pit Fighter booklet is likewise. So to clarify, the Whirlwind skill trades Ty's "normal" attacks and his additional attack from his Sure-Handed skill for a single attack that hits all adjacent opponents. It does not take away bonus attacks from things like items and spells (Blade of Leaping Bronze, Magic Fist Spike, Knee Spikes, Dorgath's Flash Powder, Kelgar's blessings, Tomas' spells, etc.), so Ty could still use those in the same turn. I didn't initially have Whirlwind worded in a way that implied this, but it brings the skill in line with some slightly similar situations already encountered by Dorgath and Revaethan. It also happens to make the Whirlwind skill a bit more relevant, although getting much value out of it does involve Ty being at least partly surrounded...
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure what with the way the fight with the HFS ended, and as you said the description of the Whirlwind ability was kinda vague, but that explanation makes it clearer. It might come in handy if I manage to spike-dance my way into a crowd, so perhaps I should keep it in mind...

Notably, the sword would be a strict upgrade to Ty's current sword. It would also benefit Carrow, so the decision of which should use it is a matter of weighing those considerations against other possible options. For the crown, neither Tomas nor Revaethan can wear armor (including helms), so they'd seem to make sense for it. I mention that particularly because neither one really has a player character at this point (Rokapoke was last seen a year ago). Ty can only wear one specific helm (his helm that's part of the Pit Armor set), so maybe he'd prefer the crown anyway...
Honestly, I was looking at the Morning Star as much as the sword. Destroying an enemy's weapon at some point I'm sure would be beneficial, though perhaps that would keep us from acquiring it through looting so I suppose that's a bit of a trade-off. Adding an additional attack would be awesome too though, so I'll defer to Mooseman and take whichever weapon he doesn't choose. As far as the Crown goes, if Ty is allowed to wear headgear not Pit-Fighter approved (and especially a piece that makes it harder to hit him) then I'm all for it. The extra movement it allows is just gravy on top of that.

Yes, please...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Honestly, I was looking at the Morning Star as much as the sword. Destroying an enemy's weapon at some point I'm sure would be beneficial, though perhaps that would keep us from acquiring it through looting so I suppose that's a bit of a trade-off.
In the first couple of adventures, like a decade ago or something, I did a thing where if I rolled for magic weapons I'd let the monsters wield them (if I thought it made sense). But by the time we were doing Death Below Karak Azgal, I moved away from that and back toward how Warhammer Quest handles it by default. Monsters can have magic weapons, magic armor, and magic items, but those are generally their own special "cursed" equipment that Warriors can't ever use. Treasures are separate. I didn't do it that way when we first started the campaign because I thought it was a bit weird and counterintuitive, but it's kind of built into the game rules and my attempted fix was getting awkward. So that means you could use the morningstar if you wanted to and have no fear of ruining valuable loot.

Notably only a minority of monsters come with magic weapons, although it becomes more common as you reach higher levels. But disarming monsters with non-magic weapons would also have some benefit. +3 Attacks is also pretty bonkers, especially with Ty's high damage. Blade of Leaping Gold was one of my favorite weapons in this game when I was younger and it's good for any sword-wielding Warrior. Seriously when I rolled for it and saw the result on the treasure table I was all, "Ooh..."

As far as the Crown goes, if Ty is allowed to wear headgear not Pit-Fighter approved (and especially a piece that makes it harder to hit him) then I'm all for it. The extra movement it allows is just gravy on top of that.
Ty's armor restriction only applies to armor, not crowns. This does mean that Ty drops from having armor coverage against 2/5 of attacks that hit him down to having armor coverage against 1/5 of attacks that hit him (Pit Fighter armor has its own system for some reason). But making him harder to hit kinda compensates for that...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So we're tentatively thinking...

Sword: Carrow to equip as new default melee weapon.
Morning Star: Ty to equip as new right-hand weapon.
Crown: Ty to equip as new headgear.
Helm: Throg to hold onto and sell later, acquiring gold that can used for un/wise purchases.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
"I guess, Jekaena. But I thought our destination is the Heart. Aren't we there yet?"

We should prolly heal up a bit before moving on, I would think. Oh, and as an aside I think Ty will continue to use the Blade of Leaping Bronze as a default weapon against mundane critters, and only pull out the morning star against weapon-wielding enemies...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The healers get to healing. In the meantime, it looks like we have two votes for "finish healing and move on" and two votes for "stay here forever." Melkor, you wanna be the tiebreaker on this one? :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You find a gaping passage in the side of the great tree. The space within crackles with a faint purplish glow. There appears to be a smooth wooden staircase descending into the darkness.