Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's at least 4: Nazzrakin, Coril, Nayadra and Arjen. Actually 7, if you include Revaethan, Jekaena and Carrow.
Well, I'm not counting our allies :rolleyes::p

But from this statement

"Shut up, Coril! We don't have time for this. Nayadra, help Arjen deal with the interlopers. The rest of you with me..."
It sounds like there's just the two.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
From what I can tell, Turgy is correctly counting named/revealed elf characters who were present in my previous post, while Spiderman is correctly counting apparent enemy elf characters still here. So in a way, you're both right...

However, I don't see why you'd be taking the time to tally up the number of elves in the vicinity when you're facing a huge, deadly monster! Muahahahaha!

A tangled mass of wood and vines hauls itself up onto the wall up ahead of you. Revaethan briefly unleashes a string of what are presumably elven curses. Nayadra gleefully announces that her pet eats adventurers like you for breakfast.

The Horrible Forest Shambler advances toward the party. You may position yourselves accordingly in preparation for your inevitable demise and subsequent consumption.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Can we run away?
You know, I hadn't foreseen that response for some reason, but realistically, the answer would be yes. You can't actually outrun the Shambler and there's no easy way for the characters to get off the top of the high wall. But if Dorgath advances on it alone and everyone else turns and runs away, it'll probably stop to eat him before it continues, which would give you time to escape. Presumably even if it consumed Dorgath quickly, it would catch Jekaena next, slowing it down again. Throg and Carrow could outrun the other members of the party, so even if the Shambler caught up with the rest of the pack, they could continue retreating. It's kind of like that old saying about how if a bear is chasing you and your friend in the woods, you don't need to outrun the bear. Except instead of a bear, picture a large plant elemental. Also, Throg can levitate, which might afford him even more escape opportunities. So I think that if people start running away, Throg has the best chance out of anyone in the party of actually surviving...

Carrow takes a shot at Nayadra
The Horrible Forest Shambler is of such bulk that Carrow has no line of sight on Nayadra.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ty will also advance on the Shambler, after telling Jekaena to be ready to heal us as needed since this thing sounds nasty...:)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Throg will regret burning his Axe/Chalice combo earlier in the adventure.
Also, I don't remember how many chalice uses he's got left, but I'll start using those now.

Throg will stay and fight, but try to position himself in such a way that someone else is eaten first.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Carrow uses his ring of invisibility
Blows the horn of Shielding
Dons the cloak of Loren
Quaffs the potion of strength
and shoots the Arrows of Loren (15)
All while strategically retreats
Then rushes in and uses the Sword of Hoeth

turgy22

Nothing Special
I don't want to go out on a limb, but I have a feeling this guy's bark is worse than his bite.
Now we could branch out or just leave, but that won't get to the root of the problem.
This may sound sappy, but I say we stick together and fight it out. Then there will be time for rest.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't want to go out on a limb, but I have a feeling this guy's bark is worse than his bite.
Now we could branch out or just leave, but that won't get to the root of the problem.
This may sound sappy, but I say we stick together and fight it out. Then there will be time for rest.
This isn't Linux Troubleshooting Storm: you get nothing for your puns.

I'd meant to get to this properly already but I was interrupted by Super Smash Bros...

In the meantime, I'll at least try to get things started...

-The Power Phase is 3 for this turn.
-Ty's Pit Training doesn't kick in.

Looks like Carrow's up to a lot. Since Strength doesn't affect arrows (even though real-life war bows required considerable strength, but whatever), I'll assume he's holding off on the potion until such a time as he is in melee with the monster. So my interpretation is that Carrow will blow the Horn of Shielding, don his Cloak of Loren, and fire arrows of Loren, but stay back for now. If he later gets into melee with the Shambler, he'll switch to the Sword of Hoeth and quaff his Potion of Strength. Make sense?

_ S S
_ S S
_ S S

T D Y
_ O J _
R K C

*There is only one Horrible Forest Shambler. It takes up that many spaces on the board. The part of the wall you're currently atop is three spaces wide. So you could try to get around it if you wanted to, but it would easily attack you in the process.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Are you saying if we do not try to go around the wall, only three of us can attack at a time?
Well, you could have one person go in ahead of the others and move into the space next to the monster without trying to go around it. Then you could have a row of three and have a total of four Warriors attacking the Shambler in melee. This would cut off the escape potential for the person who went in deep.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I had to go back and read what was happening, because I was going to ask a question about height advantage, but I see the Shambler is on the wall with us. So my new question is if a Warrior moves next to it, does he get a flanking bonus?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All right guys. Should we play it "safe" and just have a frontline of three fighters, rotating in when one needs healing, or go "all in" and use four fighters with one trapped and committed? I'm kinda thinking the first option, at least for a couple of rounds to see how it goes, and maybe move to four attackers if desperate or have it on the ropes.

Those not so good at melee obviously will hang back and fire missiles (if possible) and cast spells/heal.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Ty has no ranged options so it's melee or nada. I'd rather he not get pinned by trying to flank the thing though.

I would think it should be a bit vulnerable to fire/ice attacks if it's like a big, moving bush-thing. Got any firebombs left?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I would think it should be a bit vulnerable to fire/ice attacks if it's like a big, moving bush-thing. Got any firebombs left?
Firebomb incoming already. Spidey announced that earlier. Haven't rolled for it yet. So how are you guys spacing yourselves?