Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I imagine we could use some beef protecting Kelgar healing Carrow, so I think that would be the best use for Corticruss' Barbi atm...Corticruss is a mage, I think, so he can fill in with spells directed where he sees fit I suppose...Skullcrusher is an assassin, correct? He might be more useful trying to help burst Khaligri down, unless it looks like the Barbi is going to get swarmed under, but if that's the case all bets are off anyways...

Paging Rokapoke...;)

R

rokapoke

Tomas shakes his head as he comes out of something like a trance. "What's been happening? Looking back, I barely remember the past months. More to the point, I cannot remember my skills or weapons!"

I imagine that as a spellcaster, Tomas would be well-served attacking the sorceress. However, I have no idea what spells I have access to or their effects. For instance, do I have any healing spells beyond what was used in post #215 ("Tomas attempts to heal Carrow with his magic. He fails to counteract the dark elf's magical poison.")? If Tomas has (or believes he has, anyway) other potential remedies to the magical poison, he would attempt to help Carrow. Otherwise, he heads toward Khaligri with hatred in his eyes.

R

rokapoke

Tomas, cobwebs cleared, considers the use of his Hand of Death scroll. As he feels that Khaligri is already weakened, he resists expending that valuable spell. He plans to attack Khaligri with his Blade of Leaping Copper if he is in melee range, or with spells if not.

If melee characters are also fighting the sorceress, Tomas will not seek out a position within melee range.

Also, this happened earlier -- "Tomas readies magical countermeasures for Darenaeok's next spell.". Do I expend magic power to dispel others' spells? Can I even do that? (I've not played Warhammer Quest, but recently picked up Age of Sigmar, where dispelling [unbinding] is a thing).

And since my magic power is dependent on the power phase roll, when can I find out what that is for the upcoming turn?

EDIT -- Thanks, Spiderman, for directing me to the information I needed!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I thought the barrier was just impeding physical movement, not spells...oh well.
Ah, I see. Kelgar's healing abilities wouldn't reach, but either wizard could try to send a healing spell across the barrier. They won't know for sure if it would work until they try.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Do I expend magic power to dispel others' spells? Can I even do that? (I've not played Warhammer Quest, but recently picked up Age of Sigmar, where dispelling [unbinding] is a thing).
It's not one of your spells, but characters can use their action for the turn to attempt things and being a wizard, Tomas can try to interact with magical systems. Ordinarily, you can't disrupt an enemy spell. But because Darenaeok is attempting powerful conjuration, I have been using Tomas to partially counteract that. If he casts a normal spell, you cannot normally stop it. But if he does some elaborate ritual to summon some big monster to kill everyone, you can throw a magic monkey wrench into his machinery.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oops. Should have posted here yesterday. Anyway, welcome back Rokapoke? Maybe? I'd had Tomas on autopilot as one of the "guest" warriors here. I was going to hold off on having him travel with the party until you got back. If you're going to be around (even if it might be intermittent), I should probably assume he's going with the party.

To be clear on how Warhammer Quest works, the game was made with three different ways to play...

-As a standalone board game with procedurally generated dungeons. The idea is that everyone is attempting to work together to defeat the dungeon, but in the end, the player who accumulated the most gold value wins. The game was envisioned as a sort of successor to Hero Quest, which played in this way.
-As an "advanced" game with a running campaign. There are rudimentary ways to randomly generate almost everything, so warriors can visit settlements between dungeons, gain levels, and a playgroup can keep it going until they all die or whatever.
-As a "roleplay" game with someone running the campaign. It's not as detailed as something like D&D, but it has some roleplay gaming framework in place. I'm doing my own modified version of the roleplay mode.

The wizard can learn a spell called "Dispel Magic" that can be used to block incoming spells. That isn't one of Tomas' spells yet. What I was doing here was creating a unique encounter with certain rules. As part of that, a couple of the enemies are using special powers with big effects, in some cases ranging beyond just the party and affecting the city itself. Characters may attempt to disrupt this magic in some way, but what that will cost them and how likely they are to succeed depends on the circumstances. For example, as a dwarven warrior, Dorgath would probably not be able to close one of the portals that Darenaeok has summoned. But if Darenaeok tried to cast a spell to hypnotize him, he'd have a good chance of fighting against it. Tomas, being a wizard, is well-suited for actions involving magic and intellectual endeavors. He wouldn't be as good as most of the other warriors at kicking a door down or leaping over a pit. The success of actions may be partially dependent on characteristics. Sometimes it's obvious (lifting something heavy is dependent on Strength). Other times it might not be so obvious. Feel free to ask. The roleplay book provides some examples of actions that might require characteristic tests. I'll list them here, to give some idea...

Barge aside
Bluff enemies
Climb on shoulders
Climb wall
Construction
Crawl
Disarm enemy
Disarm trap
Distract enemy
Duck
Fight defensively
Hide
Hold door open/closed
Identify
Improvise weapon
Interrogate
Jump
Kick over
Leap
Lift trapdoor
Listen at door
Loosen/tie bonds
Make bandages
Difficult shot/throw
Make rope
Move heavy object
Pick lock
Play dead
Read
Search object
Search room
Start fire
Stun enemy
Swing on rope
Take cover
Understand speech
Wait/interrupt
Wedge door shut/open
Avoid trap
Resist disease
Resist magic
Spot lie
React

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So now we've got...

Throg: Still on his personal quest for animal companionship.
Dorgath: Switched to Skull Wand of Kaloth, fighting Darenaeok.
Carrow: Knocked down and weakened by a magic dart.
Kelgar: Moving to heal Carrow.
Tyresius: Fighting Khaligri.
Otto: KO'd.
Revaethan: Taking the long way down from the rooftop of a nearby building.
Tomas: Has 6 Power for the turn to cast spells. Attacking Khaligri?
Skullcrusher: Fighting Khaligri?
Corticruss: Attempting to heal Otto through the barrier.
Corticruss's Barbarian ally: Intercepting enemies that go after Carrow/Kelgar.

Now that Spidey posted the link showing Tomas' spells, let me know what you want him to cast. Also note: Tomas has a Power Store of 10. This power can be used to aid in spellcasting at any time, and refreshes between dungeons. The Middenheim mini-adventures that we've been doing since after everyone leveled up are considered part of the next dungeon for these purposes. You can use part of your Power Store to cast more spells in this fight if you want, but there will be less left later on if Tomas is traveling with the group. The same goes for any "once per adventure" magic items or special abilities anyone has.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Oh...this is only a mini-adventure? Cause it feels like we need to throw everything we got at this thing...lol

Ty rethinks his use of the Lifestealer Talisman and will save it for in case he's about to die from his wounds (again)...he will, however, take a hit off a Heal-Itt potion on his way over to pummel Kaligri...:)

R

rokapoke

Tomas considers his options and decides to cast Freeze! on Khaligri (and any other enemies that he can hit with the spell, if more pop up or if Darenaeok can be hit as well).

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad Throg can't hear the ruckus in the street and come join us...We could use the help, methinks...:)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Throg would love to help kick some ass... unfortunately he's missing a critical component to that equation.
I'm also fairly surprised this drunken stupor has lasted so long. I feel like Oversoul's just stringing me along. Oh well. Sometimes you just got to take it in the a... stride. Take it in stride. Yeah, that's it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-Khaligri casts Hand of Dust on Tyresius (6/15 Wounds).
-Khaligri casts Blade Wind. Skullcrusher is hit by the storm of slashing blades (9/11 Wounds).
-Khaligri's spell fizzles.
-Tomas casts Freeze! Khaligri and two beastmen each take 4 damage.
*Tomas identifies the dark aura sustaining Khaligri. 96 more damage is needed to break the spell, which should kill her.*
-Corticruss casts Heal Wounds on Otto, restoring 4 of his Wounds.
-Corticruss draws 2 Power from his Chalice of Sorcery.
-Corticruss casts Heal Wounds on Otto, restoring 6 of his Wounds.
-Otto staggers to his feet.
-Skullcrusher cuts Khaligri (4 damage).
-Skullcrusher's Weeping Blade deals 5 more damage to Khaligri.
-Darenaeok slashes at Dorgath, but the dwarf sees it coming and sidesteps.
-Darenaeok swings his sword at Dorgath, but Dorgath blocks the blow.
-Corticruss moves to flank Khaligri.
-Ty stabs Khaligri (11 damage).
-Ty impales Khaligri and clips her with his knuckle dusters too (12 damage).
-Ty slices Khaligri (2 damage).
-Ty misses a knee strike.
-Ty throws another knee strike, but the dark elf is able to step back to avoid it.
-Tomas swings his sword, but Khaligri nimbly avoids it.
-Tomas tries to land another hit, but Khaligri backflips over his blade.
-Darvalk decapitates a beastman with his axe.
-Darvalk's deathblow finishes off another beastman.
-Kelgar blesses Carrow with Power of Sigmar. Something is resisting Kelgar's healing power, but enough makes it through that Carrow is able to stand up again.
*Carrow is still afflicted by Khaligri's magic, but for the moment he is strong enough to fight again.*
-Corticruss charges Khaligri with his sword, but she pivots away from the strike.
-Dorgath hits Darenaeok with his wand (4 damage). Darenaeok resists the magical effect.
-Dorgath attacks again. Darenaeok parries it.
-Dorgath attempts a kick, but Darenaeok makes himself a difficult target.

A hulking Chaos daemon emerges through a portal, and the other Chaos forces rally to it. Darvalk, the barbarian, raises his axe over his head and prepares to charge the growing host of enemies. Before he can, a bottle of gin flies through the air, strikes the big daemon, and causes an intense explosion. When the dust settles, only a few of the monsters are still alive. But they get no reprieve. A bottle of wine is flung into their midst, showering them in razor-sharp shards of dust. A donkey trots onto the scene pulling a cart. The thrower of the bottles is a young woman dressed in royal finery, cackling maniacally and balancing precariously on the edge of the jostling cart. The driver is wearing an old skull of some monster for some reason. Also, it's Throg. Throg is driving the cart. Not very well, though. He is still quite drunk. Before anyone can get his attention, you feel a strange presence sending a message into your mind...

"Do not fear, warriors. Your salvation is at hand. For I am Onola, Goddess of Music."

A wave of magical power emanates from the donkey, and portals begin closing. Darenaeok shrieks.

"I sense your skepticism. That is good. You are right to be skeptical. Listen, if I go around telling everyone that I am Onola, Goddess of Lies, they just start disbelieving everything that I say. But I suppose it's too late for that now. You have found me out. Actually, you know what? Forget it. I'm not really a goddess at all. I'm just a regular donkey, not magical in any way. I am certainly not communicating with you telepathically and if you think that's happening, you are definitely imagining all of it."

Another beastman steps through a portal. Onola teleports next to it and kicks the beastman back through the portal. A beastman's spear strikes the cart. The young woman jumps out of the cart and runs away. Throg climbs out of the cart and levels his axe toward Darenaeok. He says something in the Chaos tongue. Darenaeok seems worried.

-Throg falls to the ground and passes out.

Next round...

-The Power Phase is 1 for this turn.
-Corticruss uses his Wizard's Staff. Rerolling, the Power Phase is 6 for this turn.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Did Ty get his hit point top-off from the Heal-Itt potion I mentioned in post #231?

Ty will take another swig of Heal-Itt and continue to try and pin Khaligri down and grind her into submission with his body weaponry...:)

R

rokapoke

Tomas will dip into his magic power store to cast Life Force on Tyresius. He will also continue his feeble efforts with his sword.