Voting Topics

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I just set up the Voting Booth with the 3rd topic we had discussed a month or so ago, on WotC's banning policy, and I was wondering what to set it up for next week. Dune Echo had a list we compiled a while ago, but since he hasn't posted anything for general discussion lately I was wondering what you all would like to vote on next. Please let me know.

H

Hellion

How about;

Seek opinions from pro players before banning the card?

Seek opinions from frequent tourney goers?

Use a little more common sense?

Have a special team that looks into such matters?

Have a special Consulate of 12 to vote and decide on such matters.

S

Seeker of Truth

Well, I know we're supposed to be casual players here, but I would also like to see what people think about the ethics (or lack thereof) at tournaments and how that affects their desire to participate at the tournament level.

My personal feeling is that (casual) players probably stay away from tournaments because they've heard horror stories about (top) players playing dishonestly, using mind tricks, and generally not being very sportsmanlike. I know that this has darkened my own opinion of tournaments where I live, especially since many of the top players here are also quite arrogant and condescending to people who aren't "faces". If there was one thing that I wish WotC would do something about, it's the lack of sportsmanship and ethics in tournament play and the general (mis)treatment of casual players at the tournament level.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I can't think of anything extroidinary (man, I can't spell big words).

[Dude, it's extraordinary. Extra and ordinary put together. -Kirsin]

D

Dune Echo

Here's what list was compiled before. I had to dig for before I remembered where it actually was...

Waylay errata/end of turn issue: 2
Dark Ritual Banning: 3
Favorite Colors: 1
Best block mechanic: 2
Gold cards: 1 (they are coming back out, so I think Mundungu should get another choice)
Trample too strong?: 1
Block mechanics in the basic set: 2
Chronicles II: 1
Best block/set: 2
Basic set card mix: 1
New tournament formats: 1
Bring back "Classic" creature types: 2

The top topics people last picked was:
1) Dark Ritual banning.
2-tied) Waylay errata; Best block mechanic; block mechanics in the basic set; best block/set; "Classic" creature types.

We should probably pick two of the tied topics and set out to discuss them and put them up on the front page to vote on.

Also, TomB, if possible, can we put up a vote for favorite color again? (With all and only the Magic colors plus artifacts this time?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh, I tried that and it just looked weird and I went back to what I know was the wrong spelling. Oh well...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think I just found a glitch in the Voting Booth. I just set up a new Voting topic (one we didn't discuss beforehand, but one Chasden should like :) ), but when I looked on the front page the Restriction topic was back!

Ironic, huh, considering the discussion going on in another thread. :eek:

It figures that Ed's out of town for a few days, but I'll leave a note for him to take a look at it. In the meantime, if anyone's interested you can find the new topic by clicking on the "Voting Booth" link off of the Main Page.

Sorry about the confusion. :confused:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just tried to fix the Voting Booth glitch and failed.

I don't know what's wrong with it, and why it just keeps displaying an old topic, when it should be showing the new one I just re-posted. What I may end up doing is pulling ALL the old topics, and just putting up the new one. I'd really rather not do that though.

Grrrr...

:mad:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I resorted to pulling everything and starting over, but that didn't work either! Now all I get is "RobPoll fatal error" where the current topic should be.

Zoiks!

Worse, I printed everything out before I did it, but the poll on Favorite Color didn't print right and I lost it. I'm really sorry everyone, but if you would, please go ahead and vote on that topic again. I'm not touching the Booth again until Mike gets back, or if one of the other Founders can fix it, since it doesn't seem to be responding to anything I do.

Groan...

D

Dune Echo

Sorry, Tom. I have not a clue as to how to fix it. WHERE'S ED?!?!?! Oh, yeah, he's gone... AHHHHH!

R

Riva Iron-Grip

**** that, have people send in requests of what to vote on on what to ban :D

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Er, invective aside, Death Knight, if there's a topic you'd like to see in the Voting Booth, feel free to either post it here, or as it's own thread in the Issues Forum. We'll talk about it for a while, then, depending on the responses, we'll post it after a couple weeks. This is still a very informal process, so if it takes a little while please bear with us.

Speaking of that informal process, we have a problem. It seems that The Baron has gone incommunicado since school got out (and actually he wasn't posting all that much before that), so it seems to me we're going to need another PR man to relay the voting results to WotC. theorgg seems to have opened a communications link with WotC on his own, and I think he'd be OK in the job, but I still think it should be a Founder that does it. Are there any Founders interested in doing the PR job? Is there a way to make theorgg a Founder? Or should "PR Man" be a title unto itself? Maybe we should wait and see what Mr. Adkison thinks about the whole idea of sending them our opinions.

Hmmm.

You all may have noticed the Booth is working again. I have no idea how that was accomplished, or if it did it on it's own, but for those of you who may not know it it's back up.

Yay! :D

I'll leave the current topic up till next weekend, then post either Best Block or Best Block Mechanic, depending on the number of responses they've received, followed the week after by the other. If anyone has a better idea please LMK.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
You all may have noticed the Booth is working again. I have no idea how that was accomplished, or if it did it on it's own, but for those of you who may not know it it's back up.
[me]waves vigorously[/me] :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Go Ed, go Ed.... :)

TomB: Regarding your concerns about CPA's liason to WOTC, I don't feel it has to be a Founder necessarily, just someone who has "credibility" and "respect" (I'm not sure how to define those terms in what we have here but WOTC obviously feels comfortable with theorgg so he must have them :)).

Along the same vein, maybe Child knows about Baron?

D

Dune Echo

I'm not sure what Baron's life may be like right now, but I'm going to college 2 days a week, I have a wife that is a little possesive (what wives aren't though?) of my time, and I'm currently trying to learn Windows 2000 so I can make lots of money and spend it on Magic.

I don't have lots of time, it's often three or more days between visits here for me lately. I'm not happy about it, but that's life. You have to juggle a lot. I'm not offering excuses, I'm just offering possibilities. Personally, I would absolutely love to have Orgg to the PR.

Are you interested, Orgg?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
We've pretty well covered the suggestions Dune collected for the Booth (if anyone really wants to put the Waylay thing up at this juncture please LMK, and I'll figure something out for the Classic Creature question), so I'll re-open the floor for Voting Topic suggestions. We've got 2 new ones so far (though I'm not quite sure how to phrase the first battery of them ;)), but I'll need your input for the ones after that.

Please post all your suggestions here. :D