UW Counter-Top Deck

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I do come here occasionally since I signed up some time ago, but TBH I'm only inclined to talk about deck construction. Unfortunately there's not a lot of activity in that aspect.

Killer Joe said:
Cards that like to screw me:
Stuffy Doll
Black Vise
Platnium Angel
to name a few.

Yes, UW Control is very tough to play in MP but I like the challenge. :)
So that's two high CC creatures a STP will get rid of. Vise... seriously? In a MP game? It only targets one player! Still, if it really has to hurt you it has to come down early, do CB won't really help you here either. You still need other counters, bounce or removal for these cards. Not a problem, because you would run these cards in a UW control deck anyway. Still, if you can consistently counter everyones 1 and 2 CC, you're on a good path to making a lot of enemies ;)

BTW, now that you're already annoying the table, why not run NO-stick?

Killer Joe

In the organized MP game I run once a month I always am the target :(

What's "No-Stick"?

Sorry, not up on the MTG lingo :eek:

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Sorry, that's Isochron scepter plus a bunch of instants like lightning helix, orim's chant and counterspell.

Killer Joe

Yup, did that one and got slaughtered via mob; 6 players took me down when the first Scepter hit the table with a Terminate on it :(

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
Yup, did that one and got slaughtered via mob; 6 players took me down when the first Scepter hit the table with a Terminate on it :(
But of course..... that's like running through an airport holding a stick of dynamite and wearing an arab headress shouting, kill infidels......... kind of gets everyones attention...... the combos need to be more subtle..... Like the one RX did.... Cadaverous Blossom and some card drawing enchantment on a creature.... when he had the most life......

Killer Joe

Counrebalance is not subtle either or should I say, at least in my group (MML). Since the players that play with us are NOT tourney-minded, a new card (to them) would equate pretty much to, "Look! He played a card we don't know. KILL HIM!!!!"

...okay, I mis-spoke, that actually happens ANYTIME I play any card. :(

Honestly, I didn't even realize that there was a viable tourney deck called Countertop, I just love counter magic and that's why Counterbalance appealed to me. I just assumed that it would be very good in a UW Control Deck. The more I 'toy' with the idea the more I realize it would definitely SUCK in a MP game of more than three.

But I might revisit the Scepter deck though, thanks. :eek: :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
With the Scepter idea, you might need to protect yourself with those enchantments "Players can only play one spell a turn". Of course, that puts the target even more on you, but since it's there to begin with, it shouldn't matter... :)

Killer Joe

I know who you are! You're one of them! :rolleyes:
In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you'd fit in PERFECTLY with the MML; you're casual but very smart in the way you play. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you wear GLASSES!!!!! The folks in our group who wear glasses are the most fierst in killing me off quickly. :D
Oh sure, I'll play with that blue enchantment that allows only one spell per turn or a Sterling Grove, only so you glass wearers can finally burn that TRANQUILITY you've had in your hand since the beginning of the game...... :eek: :p

Sterling Grove, huh,....good call, I have some somewhere...... :rolleyes:

M

Modus Pwnens

Spiderman said:
With the Scepter idea, you might need to protect yourself with those enchantments "Players can only play one spell a turn". Of course, that puts the target even more on you, but since it's there to begin with, it shouldn't matter... :)
Scepter still requires you to play the copy, which does count towards your single spell/turn, don't forget that :)

Killer Joe

Who activates a Scepter on their turn??? ;)

I guess if you've got Orim's Chant on it, then it's appropiate to use it on your turn. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure what the setup is, but since it's the generally playing of the combo that gets you into trouble, you'll either play the Arcane Lab or the white equivalent first, then the Scepter on the next turn or the Scepter/combo then the Lab on the same turn, which would mean more mana/later in the game.