UW Counter-Top Deck

Killer Joe

This is a continuation from another thread, but now it's about building a deck. Here are our two heroes:
Counterbalance
Sensei's Divining Top

Draft v1.0
4 Counterbalance
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Brainstorm (Like the Top, this works, too.)
Is there another instant card like Brainstorm where you redo the top cards of your deck?
From here it's all personal taste, I've chosen classic Blue White Control:
4 Wrath of Gods
4 Counterspell
4 Absorb
4 Propaganda

4 Exalted Angels

not sure whatelse, yet.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Killer Joe said:
Is there another instant card like Brainstorm where you redo the top cards of your deck?
Sure: enlightened and mystical tutor. Any card with scry, but there aren't many noteworthy instants I guess. Unblinking bleb could be a nice surprise if you plan on playing Exalted angels.

R

rokapoke

Killer Joe said:
4 Brainstorm (Like the Top, this works, too.)
With all your instants and sorceries, you could, if you so chose, replace some Brainstorms with Eyes of the Watcher.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Lim-Dul's Vault UB from Alliances
Look at the top five cards of your library. As many times as you choose, you may pay 1 life to put those cards on the bottom of your library and look at the top five cards of your library.
Shuffle all but the top five cards of your library; put those five on top of your library in any order. Effects that prevent or redirect damage cannot be used to counter this loss of life.

Natural Selection
G from Unlimited
Look at top three cards of any player's library. You may opt to rearrange those three cards or shuffle the entire library.

Prophetic Bolt 3UR

Spy Network U from Onslaught
Look at target player's hand, the top card of that player's library, and any face-down creatures he or she controls. Look at the top four cards of your library, then put them back in any order.

Telling Time 1U from Ravnica
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of those cards into your hand, one on top of your library, and one on the bottom of your library.

Trickery Charm
U from Onslaught
Choose one - Target creature gains flying until end of turn; or target creature's type becomes the creature type of your choice until end of turn; or look at the top four cards of your library, then put them back in any order.

R

Rakarth

Aren't there a few creatures with CIP abilites that rearrange cards in on top of your library? So using Teferi would allow you to use Sage of Epityr, Aven Fateshaper (which also has an ability 4U:look at top 4 cards of library and put back in any order), Cryptic Annelid with repetitive Scrying, Descendant of Soramaro (ability 1U: Look at top X cards of library and put back in any order - X is # of cards in hand)?

Rakarth

D

DarthFerret

Don't have time to look it up, but doesn't Sage Owl go through the top 4 or so of your library?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Don't forget you have to worry about the converted casting cost of cards that you put in your deck. You might want to stick to 1 and 2 CC mainly, so you can save your hard counters for more expensive spells.

Well, that's the thought behind legacy countertop decks anyway, I'm not sure what you're aiming for with your deck. What are you aiming for?

B

Budget Player Cadet

To make people HATE HIM! Otherwise, he wouldn't play countertop.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought he wants different cc spells in his deck so he can counter almost everything with the Counterbalance...

Killer Joe

I have ablend of cc spells like Brainstorm, Counterspell, Cancel, Rewind, Rout, a few 6ers and such. The deck is for RANDOM multiplayer games only. :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Nothing wrong with random ;) Vintage rules, I guess?

The problem is that you have to make a choice what you want with the counterbalance, because it's tough to "have it all". The instant tutors are great to get something on the top of your library, but you can only use 1 each. Besides that, you run out of cards anyway, so if you rely on other cards than Top to rearrange the top of your library you'll run into troubles in multiplayer.

So.

What are the cards you are most afraid of? STP, wraths, deeds? Countertop shines if you fear a single card and keep that one at bay. If you're afraid of wraths, use a lot of 4CC. STP, 1 CC. Use the tutors for a few random high CC.

Still, UW control is hard in multiplayer to begin with.

Killer Joe

Cards that like to screw me:
Stuffy Doll
Black Vise
Platnium Angel
to name a few.

Yes, UW Control is very tough to play in MP but I like the challenge. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Shabbaman, you coming on here more often? You interested in playing some Magic games online in the Games Run forum? Constructed or Mindmaster?