Type 1 Sligh - Help!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Isty: Are you planning on/already testing your deck IRL or through Apprentice by goldfishing/against an opponent before the tourney?

rakso: Woo-hoo, some "free" publicity... ;) Hey, off-topic, but I'm assuming you never got my Private Message... I guess Chaos Turtle told you how to contact him, but on the main Forum page, scoll down at the bottom until you get to Private Messages and click on that and see what you get...

R

rakso

Yeah, Chaos Turtle talked to me. We're penpals now. ;)

Don't mind the free publicity.. as long as you reciprocate! :) Seriously, don't you think Phyrexia is doing an even better job plugging Beyond Dominia and CPA? :p

Gotta love Sligh decks. My kid brother expereinced a resurgence of Magic since it's their last week of high school so he's poking around the Type I decks in my room.

He saw Keeper and asked me to play it against him and refused to concede until I showed him how it actually won games.

Then, he picked up my Goblin deck and said he'd rather just borrow that one so he wouldn't have to explain a lot of things to his classmates, most of whom stopped buying cards during the Mirage Block or Urza's Saga! ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But you know how to use Private Messaging now?

Go Phrexia... :rolleyes: If I went to more boards, I'd reciprocate... :(

R

rakso

I'll assume you know what Phyrexians said about our sites... :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They're the bombers, right? I don't know what was said specifically, but I got the gist that it wasn't that complimentary... :)

1000th Cpa

How about Mana Flare or Furnace of Rath?

Members:1-0-0-0 and counting

J

John`O

'Wheel of Fortune is very good in a sligh deck IMO. You don't tap out though in casting it it is more of a fifth turn type spell used for refueling the emptied hand of a sligh player who can then go "Lightning Bolt, Incinerate, Fireblast, fireblast. You're dead." '

On turn 5 you have an average of three land
(10 non-wheel cards so far , deck 30% mountains)
so you will probably be tapping out.
Unless opponet cats wheel too :)

'As for your reference to the Sligh players who did not use Wheel, well, Ben Rubin used both Wheel of Fortune AND Timetwister in his deck (though he had to forego Fireblast for this) and placed 2-1 just like Kastle and Ishii, and placed higher than Godinez's 1-2. '

Rubins deck wasn't sligh in was more like
pups and resticted list, wheel obviously far better
in his deck than in sligh.
Timetwister and Wheel are very powerful cards
but not in straight red non-P9 sligh, which
is the deck we were talking about.

'As for combo... well, combo is generally no longer fast enough to overtake aggro decks in Type I. '

What is T1 combo?
Trix? High Tide? Turboland? Earthcraft-Enchantress?
I think there are more possible combo
decks in T1 than we know about and the ones
people play are both not well tuned and
very hard to play correctly.

Just for fun heres a combo deck that will beat most sligh
builds comfortably, and could probably be much better
if somebody bothered to figure out the right number
of lands , rituals etc.

4 Goblin Bombardment
4 Enduring Renewal
4 Shield Sphere
4 Duress
4 Academy Rector
1 Necropotence
1 Yawgmoths Bargain
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Dark Ritual
1 Yawgmoths Will
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Diamond
3 Phyrexian Tower
2 Badlands
3 Scrubland
3 Plateau
2 Underground Sea
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine

John

R

rakso

First of all, I'd like to go back to my simple point that what's a Sligh player going to do if he has just 1-2 cards left in hand and one of them is Wheel of Fortune? Wait and topdeck?

That's a losing position for Sligh if the first rush was dealt with (Balance, etc.)

Next, if you look at Kastle vs Rubin, Rubin has more power like Timetwister and Yawgmoth's Will and Kastle has Incinerates. Roughly.

Next, regarding combo, let's not confuse things between those Invitational decks and casual play. They've tried Trix and Turboland is a valid concern. Here, it's probably a better idea to think carefully befor Wheel, but even then you can fish for a Fireblast if needed, or waste a second turn Demonic Tutor.

As for the Pebbles combo, I wonder if it's more flexible grafted onto a good RecSur deck with Academy Rectors.

I

Istanbul

The simple fact is that it's been my experience that if I cast Wheel of Fortune vs. most of the T1 decks I'm facing, I have to win THAT TURN. If I give my opponent another turn, he goes off. Meaning that I need to have five or six mana for a Wheel followed by a feasible kill. Not the position I want to be in; if my deck reaches the point where it could cast a Shivan Dragon, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I want to include Wheel. I really do. But I have visions of casting Wheel, getting a bunch of good stuff...being tapped out...saying 'go'...and never untapping again.

R

rakso

Um... what kind of decks are you playing against, anyway? "Go off?"

C

Chaos Turtle

Seems to me, most Type 1 decks -- given a hand of 7 fresh cards, and a turn -- are quite likely to make you regret your generosity.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So don't give your opponent the extra turn? Like Isty says, hope to kill him with your 7 new cards during your turn?

It seems that's what most of the guys from bdominaria are saying... the new hand will give you more burn to kill him on your turn anyway...

Proxy it up on Apprentice and try it out, with or without the Wheel?

I

Istanbul

This deck does not work with the Wheel.

I'm gonna hate the answer to this question, but...how crucial are the Cursed Scrolls?

I absolutely CAN NOT find any locally.

D

Duel

Actually (Amd I may get beat up on this) if you're playing against a bunch of combo/spell kill decks, cursed scrolls are not the key card. They are always good, though.

I

Istanbul

Heh. Much as I loathe doing this, 'up'...I just spent ten minutes finding this thread for the decklist that was in it.