tribal?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I believe Spiderman and I were thinking about setting one up, but I haven't built a deck yet, and I don't know if he has or not.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't got one right now either. But you're welcome to join in. As far as I know, it's Vintage format with a 60 card minimum and the deck must be 1/3 creatures that share the same type. Elves, goblins, and zombies are banned for now.

B

BigBlue

I'm interested...

I don't know "vintage"... (it's been ages since I played - even more since I played in a tourney to know what the formats are...)

No Zombies huh.... boooooo.... what about Zombies who are other types as well? In other words, if there were a zombie beast and I built a beast deck, could a zombie beast be in it? or an Elf Wizard in a wizard deck... etc. What about beyond the 1/3 sharing a type? if you have 1/3 beasts in a beast deck, can you also have a few elves?

Thanks.

(I can understand no zombies... there are very degenerative combos with zombies... Tombstone Stairwell breaks things badly...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cool...

Here's the Banned/Restricted List for Vintage, but remember this is "casual" :)

You could have the examples you specified. Just the primary tribe (creatures that share a type) can't be zombies, elves, or goblins.

I may have to adjust my tribe now that this is looking to be MP :)

Oh, and Chaos format for MP. Attack anyone, etc.

B

BigBlue

I was hoping to avoid the "casual" topic.... :D I have to admit I always play to win... sometimes I don't mind losing.... :) So, I'm not really much of a "casual" player I guess...

Thanks for the link to the page I shoulda coulda woulda have searched for myself.. ;)

Do we want to say what our tribe is up front to avoid duplicates? of course it could also alter someone elses choice in other bad ways if we do that... (I have probably 5 or 6 tribal decks - Zombies is one of them though).

When are we starting, who all is playing, and who goes first (I don't care really about the last question)?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's probably harder given that it's a specific format - it might be interesting to see if any of the P9 or such can be utilized in a Tribe format, but I'm making a conscious decision not to try to use them - I mean, I want to win but "to me", playing with you guys is good enough.

I think we'll start next Monday, 10/26.

I think each tribe should be kept a secret - duplicates shouldn't matter (and it might be interesting to see what other people come up with for the same tribe anyway).

So far, I think it's me, you, Oversoul, and mythosx. Let's see... we can either get a neutral party to assign the order, or go either alphabetically or from oldest to youngest (or vice versa) (I haven't looked at anyone's birthdate so don't know how that benefits anyone right now).

Oh yeah, these cards are also banned due to their tribal wrecking nature:

Engineered Plague, Tsabo's Decree, Endemic Plague, Circle of Solace, Peer Pressure, and Unnatural Selection.

B

BigBlue

One other thing we "usually" do.... No color hosers.... But that's up to you I suppose... and by color hosers I mean cards which affect "all".... a creature with protection isn't really a color hoser... Flashfires, Eradicate, or CoP are... Armageddon and Wrath aren't (but are usually not casual...) And for the sake of keeping things sane... can Coat of Arms also be banned?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, so I was thinking of going with Merfolk. But I realize now, that while I have all the noncreature cards I'd want for a Merfolk deck, I don't have enough good Merfolk to actually go with them as a tribe. Initially, I thought that with Goblins, Zombies, and Elves excluded, I might not be able to build a tribal deck (one that could have any chance of winning) with the cards I have. But I'm not sure what I have as far as some of the less popular tribes go.

I feel like I'm forgetting something. So I'll go through my collection and see what that something is...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How about we toss the color-hoser question up to a vote? I agree with the first two examples of Flashfires and Eradicate but not sure about CoP's... have to think about that one.

Also agree about banning Coat of Arms.

I'm using Apprentice to build my deck since I don't have any of the Kamigawa block and want to keep my options open... another reason I'm consciously keeping away from Vintage power cards (because I probably don't have them IRL and don't want to get carried away :) )

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
How about we toss the color-hoser question up to a vote?
In that case, we either need someone to form a list of cards we'll be banning, or come up with a strict definition as to what cards are disallowed. "Color-hoser" is WAY too vague.

B

BigBlue

I think of them in terms of "global" things... "Destroy all XXX" (Where XXX is attributed to specific color(s) - whether it's basic land types or creatures). the CoP thing is just because I hate them... but if we want to include them, I don't care that much... One could say something like "Blue Elemental Blast" is a color hoser - but it's a 1-1 card... so I don't think it matters in that way. When 1 card wipes out more than 1 card - and only because they are playing one color or another, then I'd call it a color hoser. I guess the other way would be "Destroy all non-XXX"...

As far as whether you own the cards or not... it doesn't really matter. We should state now whether we'll use them or not, so if one person does it doesn't burn everyone else... (I won't be unless others are).

I say we just play the damn game... If you have a question about whether a card is a color hoser, pose it... maybe we can get an arbitrator....

Some of my eligible tribal decks are (merfolk, angel, vampire, cleric, bird, dragon, rat, thrull, sliver, and beast... I am sure I have another one or two - and I haven't settled on which one to play yet - plus I need to verify some of them have 20 tribal creatures - I think I may be short a couple in some of those decks...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, on one hand, you run the risk of having a dead card in your hand if no one is playing that color/land type (unless you Hack or Sleight it). On the other, it can be pretty devastating to a player if he's suddenly wiped out, which really isn't in the spirit of tribal (I don't think personally). So I agree that no global effects should be allowed, at least for this first take: destroy all lands, permanents, creatures, artifacts, enchantments, etc (Armageddon, Pernicious Deed, Wrath of God, Shatterstorm, Tranquility, etc). Nor should it affect specific creature types like the cards listed above.

I think Eradicate is fine because it just affects one creature name, not the whole tribe.

B

BigBlue

I was confusing Eradicate with the Black card which kills all Green Creatures...

No "global" killers does have an effect on my deck selections then... I agree with you upon further consideration they aren't really "tribal"... but some things suicidal, when the ends are for the greater good of the tribe, are imho acceptable... :D You know, the False Prophet is really just clearing the battlefield for other clerics to follow, the other combatants weren't believers anyways... :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Alright, I have it narrowed down to two general decks. They aren't my usual style of deck, so I'm still tweaking them and trying to find out which one would be better for multiplayer...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here we go... according to birthdate, if no one has any objections:

BB

Life: 20
Hand: 7
In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

Spiderman

In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

mythosx

In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

Oversoul

In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

B

BigBlue

Are you saying I'm old? :D
(Am I allowed to Draw, or is it play only?)

Play a Swamp, Done.

BB

Hand: 6 (or 7)
In Play: {Swamp(U)}
Graveyard:
RFG:

Spiderman

In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

mythosx

In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

Oversoul

In Play:
Graveyard:
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're allowed to draw. I don't have a problem with it.

Draw, Plains, Done.

BB

Hand: 6 (or 7)
In Play: {Swamp(U)}
Graveyard:
RFG:

Spiderman

In Play:

(U) Plains