Tribal II - Big Blue Limited Mythosx Oversoul Spiderman

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I only have five cards in my hand. Perhaps you are forgetting that I used Swords to Plowshares at the end of your turn.

I'll assume that if you have something that can save you from this, you would have kept it and discarded something else (a reasonable assumption, I think). So after you discard a card, I will take all of my floating mana and play Serra Avatar. If you do nothing about this, I will predictably equip it with Lightning Greaves. If you do nothing about this, I will predictably attack you.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
For some reason, I never thought about it until Mythosx pointed it out, but I've been waiting for Starlit Sanctum the entire time when the card I really needed to kill my own Avatar was Worthy Cause (which I already had). I don't know how I got the "cleric" and "creature" parts of those cards juxtaposed. I am such an idiot. Sorry for wasting however many turns that was, guys. :eek: :(

B

BigBlue

Hmmm... actually, the whole thing was predictable.... Once you said "aha".... it dawned on me that you would have the Serra Avatar.... I had forgotten about the swords, so I discard a tainted field to the balance, and in response to the activation of the greaves, I swords your avatar, thus doubling your life total... unfortunately.

As far as it not being a cleric.... there was no rule that all creatures must be of your tribe (at least there wasn't one I was aware of....)And, I will concede now that I have no concievable chance of victory. fuggin avatar...

I'm assuming you do actually have 20 clerics in your deck, that was the requirement for tribal (well that 1/3rd of your deck was creatures of your tribe)....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You can't take care of any future Avatars since they'll come up before decking him? Good game everyone...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I had 20 clerics in my deck.

My reasoning after Mythosx was out was that I could announce my intention to deck you by discarding Serra Avatar and shuffling it back into my library whenever I drew it. This could end things quickly since you would probably concede, but posed an unnecessary risk if you had some means of killing the avatar or decking me by forcing me to draw cards or something. I reasoned next that I could wait until I had mana to play the avatar and beat you down with it. But I feared the Swords to Plowshares. I then thought, "Oh well, I'll just Worthy Cause with the buyback in response to every Swords he plays. He'll run out of them and then I finish him off. But wait, Worthy Cause only works on clerics. I know when I built this deck I had some contingency for a situation such as this one. Oh yeah! Starlit Sanctum works on non-clerics. I'll just wait until I draw it."

I didn't even stop to think about this plan again until after I'd already put it into action (and wasted a great deal of time). Not one of my more lucid moments... :rolleyes:

I thought it was a pretty good game up until shortly before I made it drag out like that.

Spidey: There wouldn't have to be any future avatars. I would simply Worthy Cause with buyback the Avatar I have now. It would shuffle into my library and he'd never be able to deck me (unless he could find another way to remove it from the game or deck me despite it, which judging from his concession, he couldn't do--although I'd be happy to let him continue if he remembers something and thinks he can win, as in almost any other game my stupidity would have cost me my victory anyway and I feel pretty crappy about that).

B

BigBlue

Actually, it's the other way around... the sanctum only works on clerics, but the worthy cause works on the avatar....

And for the record, I think it was a good game.... the funny thing was, I had no idea about the avatar until this turn, and when you played the balance, for some reason I knew you had it in your hand... when you floated mana, I was wondering more about armageddon.... I figured you might have had a feldon's cane - which I will guarantee you I am including at least 2 of in every one of these tribal games from here on out...

If limited had said something after he got to see your library, I would have conceded a long time ago.

I'd completely forgotten about the second part of the avatar... I was trying to figure out if I'd have enough blockers to get rid of another one after I swordsed it...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
BigBlue said:
Actually, it's the other way around... the sanctum only works on clerics, but the worthy cause works on the avatar....
Yeah, that was the stupidity on my part I was lamenting in that last post. It doesn't make sense to me now that I had the two of them switched like that, but from the point where you took out Mythosx up until today, that was the way I had it worked out in my head.

And yeah, Feldon's Cane seems like it would probably be some nice tech in this metagame. I almost used it myself in this deck until I decided on Serra Avatar (and I actually had three Spirit Links and three Serra Avatars when I first added Avatar into my decklist, but later decided that it was unnecessary, although in retrospect I might have gone back to that).

Edit: I guess I didn't "almost use" Feldon's Cane since early on in the designing of the deck I chose Soldevi Digger over it. I forgot about that. Digger is more mana intensive, but I at the time seemed like a good idea.

L

Limited

BigBlue said:
If limited had said something after he got to see your library, I would have conceded a long time ago.
Like I am allowed to share that information ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
More importantly, you could build up a more powerful army than the person with the Feldon's Cane. You'd have the advantage unless the defense was totally impenetrable. Well, those board-sweeping effects hurt that, but aside from those, you'd be able to generate a superior army (especially with some searching by that Overlord).