to all americans on this board or whoever lives in the us

G

Gizmo

You know what, there's a lot of people that DON'T like seeing this as a united accomplishment, but as an accomplishment of certain individuals...and some of those individuals happen to be not originally "American", which is considered "disgraceful" to some...
And those people are p***ks.
Not originally American - you mean not native indians? I don`t see what other distinction could be drawn without immediately classing yourself as a bigoted rascist. Apart from the native indians everybody else is an immigrant, you`re all in the same boat, even if your ancestors weren`t in the same boat when they got to America.

I put 'local' in the 's for a reason - it wasn`t meant to mean what was happening in your neighbourhood, town, city, state, or whatever. It was simply a catchall term for seeing things as individual occurences as opposed to part of a wider whole. Local as opposed to global.

The American experience is surely one of cultures coming together and having to interact with each other, naturally the outcome is as much conflict as it is intermixing. But that conflict is as much a part of US culture as the intermixed elements, the conflict makes it`s own marks on US culture.
And trust me, the problems of cultures clashing is not a US-only problem, you may have heard recently of some race riots in England, Oldham to be exact. I live in Oldham. Conflict is a part of the experience of bringing completely disparate cultures together in one tight space. Often, and especially where there is only so many resources to go around, those cultures are going to fight like cats in a sack.

Oh, and I found it very funny that Magicman_Moe was the one preaching about being understanding about different cultures and nations when two lines earlier he had sounded like a white supremacist, and two lines later like he didn`t know anything about the world outside the US that he didn`t get straight from CNN*. If it wasnt deeply disturbing I`d be laughing.

M

magicman_moe

white supremisist?
i dont know anything about the world outside the us except from what i see on cnn?

weeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll now.

okey dokey now for what reason do i "sound" like a white supremisist? is it because im just telling people about whats goin on here?
no im not predjudist against anyone. i actually like other races. it would get boring if this country had all white people here.

do you even live here in the u.s?
if so have you even been anywhere else?

now are just stating a fact that i sound like a kkk bastard or are you just assuming that this is my attitude towards other races here in my town.
there is a huge difference between me and the average redneck.

1.im not racist in anyway shape or form.

2. i actually have an understanding of what other races do. hell i should ive only lived here with them for god knows how long.
it just goes to show you that if you hang around long enough you start to pick up things.

i live in a town where the population IS predominitly vietnames and hispanic. now case in point, when i compared say chinese new year to like say memorial day im not kidding on how its more reconized than ours. now i have no problem with that at all i think that all cultures and races should be able to experience itself without all this bs that goes around.

so please,THINK before you start throwing accusations about racists/racism because if you do, you totally missed the point of this thread and you have no idea what the hell your talking about.

M

Mars

My country, The United States of America, in UNDEFINABLE!

And the more one tries to define it, the more trouble one will get into.

It is all cultures, everywhere, in one place, concentrated and spread out, both. It is unique in history that way.

The people are diverse, but German descent is most common, followed by Irish, then English, and everyone else is a distant fourth. And that's changing too. Like everything else here.

But every country in the world has many cousins here.

We are rapidly changing, constantly, and at an increasing rate.

We have NAZI's and Communists here, but those groups are in the minority. Most folks here in America have common sense. But 20% do not, so we lock our cars and homes.

We have "Free-Thinking" Atheists and the Devoutly Religious.

We are a "Bottoms up" country - unlike countries with strong leaders, we value the local government's actions over the counties' over the States' over The Federal Government's.

The Federal Government is a national joke, and we never tire joking about it, which we can do freely.

We are protected by two oceans. But the world is shrinking thanks to mass communication, like this internet we're using.

We have won more Nobel Prizes than any other land.

Most of all, we are very, VERY YOUNG. We are experiencing growing pains. We may or may not get over them. I'd say that's up to us.

We are a Capitalist Country. "Money talks and Bulls**t walks" is a very popular expression here.

Ben Franklin is ours. Good old Ben. A master of many trades and a jack of none.

We'll be OK I think. Oh, and Magic was invented here too.

Greg "Mars" Smith
New Jersey, USA
99 Ways to Kill Spiritmonger:
http://www.angelfire.com/sd/priorities/killmonger.html

D

DÛke

Ura:
Both Canada and the US are multi-cultural countries as they were founded on immigrating from other lands. I think they both turned out pretty well considering how much we've achieved in such a short time.
I can’t agree anymore. :)

Spiderman:
What the US does is "borrow" techniques from others and blend them in to make something new as its own. And that's pretty much to be expected, coming from a land that's a baby compared to most other nations and populated by people from all over, not just one area (like say Central or South America).
I agree. The United States is great for one thing and one thing only…and that would be it’s variety. This variety comes from multicultural population. Without it, there would be no culture at all. However, some people refuse to see the nation for all it's glory. The United States is a very rich, commercial and lively…ALL that because of the different people…because of the different genius that is brought to the land that is combined to form even a greater genius…

Gizmo:
Not originally American - you mean not native indians? I don`t see what other distinction could be drawn without immediately classing yourself as a bigoted rascist. Apart from the native indians everybody else is an immigrant, you`re all in the same boat, even if your ancestors weren`t in the same boat when they got to America.
I agree…but try telling that to the many inhabitants of the United States. Even those whom are NOT native Indians think they rule the land or something, why? Because they were born in the United States. Pathetic. I’m not just b***hing about those who call themselves “Americans”…I’m talkin’ about everyone who dislikes the land for it’s multicultural: each “race” has those kind of people that dislike the others because of superfluous reasons.

Gizmo:
The American experience is surely one of cultures coming together and having to interact with each other, naturally the outcome is as much conflict as it is intermixing. But that conflict is as much a part of US culture as the intermixed elements, the conflict makes it`s own marks on US culture.
Yes, that is very true. However, the Untied States have been like it is since the beginning. What I question is the time that people will learn that the United States would have not been what it is without EVERYONE. The game of “you’re not from here, so you’re not ‘cool’” is getting’ pretty old, don’t ya think? Like I said, the United States has the highest immigration rate…you’d think by now people would realize that this nation is for all the different races...and it will be like that until the end of time.