Times they are a' changin'...

R

Rando

...and you don't know what they are, do you Mrs. Jones?

Recent turmoil involving the upkeep of this site has got me to thinking.

How do we become more of a club or orginization then we are now? How do we become self sufficient?

As of right now we as a group are little more then just bunch of folks that hang out on the same web page. There is no real sense unity or common tasks and goals. There is no real sense of unity.

The first thing we need to do, I think, is become more involved with the upkeep of this site. As of right now, Ed does everything with no compensation. This is a huge favor that he does for us with little or nothing in return. We should find a way to repay him.

Second, we need to become even more involved with the magic community. The buttons were a good idea to spread the word but that never panned out. We need more. Go to your local card shop and invite more people to join the CPA.

For instance, DUke and I are the only people in the CPA from Missouri. I happen to know that there are many, MANY more casual players in our state then this. Where are they?

Perhaps we could come up with some sort of news letter or other way to make our presence more known and to spread the word. The more active we become and the more people we draw into the cause, the more important we will be to the Magic community.

There is one simple fact: There are more of us then there are "pros". On a whole, we spend more monney on this game. Don't let any one tell you different. The very fact of us being the bigger party by at least 20 to 1 dictates this to be the case.

Any other ideas? Or am I just wishing for something that will not be.

I know that there are a lot of, for lack of a better word lazy, people here that will not want to do any extra work to make the CPA a real influence. There are also a lot of smart, hard working people that just might.

Let's discuss some ideas and then put them into action. Don't let this thread, and the CPA, slip to the bottom of the pile.

jp

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This has always been a problem and I think the last time this issue was raised was that there hasn't been any real push towards a common goal to work towards. Apparently people are generally happy with the current sets and there's nothing to complain about.

As for raising awareness of this particular site, I don't know what can be done. Certainly your suggestions are good ones... I know a lot of the older members/Founders aren't really playing right now but that doesn't mean the newer folk can't do what you suggest.

I'm not sure what the status is with the buttons; theorgg might have to give us an update on that.

R

Rando

I also think that a lot of people don't want to be considered "casual" players because they think that they're going on the pro tour one day and that the term casual procludes them from being a serious player.

Don't be afraid or ashamed of who you are, people! You can go on the tour and still be one of us. As I've mentioned a thousand time before, there are really no real pro's in this game any way. No one makes a living playing this game. It is no one's livelihood, and no one is putting food on their table with their Magic purse.

A

Almindhra

I wish we could be more like a community...I know with the one website I'm with, Dragonmount, yeah, they have over 800 members, but they try to get everyone together, and they're pretty close knit...They even have planned on members banding together at the DragonCon convention...

It seems that we're all pretty spaced out...Which, in a sense, is too bad...And its not like some of us haven't tried to reach others in out vicinity...But a lot of us are young, and without a license or adult freedom its hard to go and out and meet others...

I still like the idea of buttons...Something to just let out CPAness known out there in the community...I'm still going to the Origins convention this summer, and hopefully I'll meet some people out there...I promise I'm not as scary as Duke makes me out to be on here!...;)...

So some ideas form myself...Hmm...How about the people you do know are in your area, get them to join us...Or if you find some on AIM or ICQ, get them...Casuals from other websites...Snag 'em!...Maybe I can think of something better when I'm more awake...That's it for now...

E

ErinPuff

I got two of my friends to join.. and my brother might join.. and buttons would be quite cool.

D

DÛke

...one of the issues that I could talk about forever...but I wont. I know how many get mad about that...

I think, before trying to reach out and make this more than an online community, we need to realize that we are all people: all equal. We also need to realize that, if we plan to make this some kind of a more general socail outlet, we must mostly agree about each other's opinions. For example, take the Off-Topic/spam issue we had back in time...that shows that not all of us are willing to engage in a more digital, yet socail life. Some of us want this place to be what it is: simply an online, Magic community for casual players...yet, some of us, like myself...want this place to be more than just a Magic community, but a place for friendship...not Magic friendship, but simply, friendship (including Magic).

You know, I think it is sad when I try to talk to someone, and if I'm not talking about Magic, he or she would not give a dang about my precious will to talk. Yet, some, when I don't talk about Magic, that's when their "oh YES baby!" kicks in...

I think everyone has friends in the CPA...well, notice this: some of them talk about everything: life, music, and all kind of subjects, and some..."what's your favorite color...in Magic I mean?", "I hate Blue, but I like Black - Magically speaking", and all that...all about Magic...

This place is great...and I don't see anything wrong with it's current state...if it is destined to evolve, it will have to be mass evolution...otherwise, it will be another one of those big, fat, long, disgusting, unusual, stupid...disagreements...

There. :)

By the way...my sister wanted to join about a month ago, but I disapproved...I don't know if I made the right decision by disapproving her...She knows how to play Magic, but like me, she rarely plays...I don't know...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Almindhra has pretty much hit it on the head: most of the active members here are teenagers and can't actually go places where we could all meet. Plus we're pretty much spread out across the world... (active members).

DUke: Why'd you disapprove?

C

Cateran Emperor

Now that I have a car, I can actually start to go places. Unfortunately, the only Magic related site near me is at my local store, where most of the players either are pros or think they are. Casual games are *really* hard to come by.

You know you're in a bad situation where a 'casual' game consists of testing your deck against Fires/Rebels/Skies et al. Yet conversations there tend to go well away from Magic, which makes it a generally good place to hang out.

I have the opposite feeling here; this is my Magic site, and not too terribly much outside the game is discussed save in Off-Topic (which has been kind of dull lately, what happened to our wacky members and their maddeningly weird threads? Didn't Xarvox say he was going to kill the DUke/Bob story after a week of inaction...)

As it stands, I have no problem here right now. We're still a growing site, we have all the time in the world to make our presence known. Unlike the Dojo, we aren't losing members, (Zadok has heart attacks periodically though... ;) ) rather we're in the process of still growing.

What we need to do now, as I stated before, is make the forums more obvious. We have to advertise our forums more than anything else, as this is where all the action happens. Magic players go to major sites primarily to read articles, not really to check out the forums, so we need to make ours more prominently.

A big piece of advice to everyone who posts on other boards, do what Zadok's been doing for a long time (and I started doing about a month ago), put a link to the CPA at the bottom of every post, along with a quick message like 'Visit the Casual Players Alliance!' (the one I use). If we do this enough, we'll start to become a greater driving force in the Magic community.

We can go on from there to start advertising in reality ;)

Z

Zadok001

I talk about this site whenever I go to a tourney and meet someone who seems like the type who could enjoy this place. :)

CE, I don't link to the CPA much anymore - I'm using the name "Nameless" now, and I'm a bit more incognito (though not much more so). I do most of my promoting of the site in person, to the people I play against. 'Tis fun, people get very confused when I tell them about this site. Eventually they catch on, though. Not sure how many actually stop by, but hey, can't have everything.

As for meeting in person... You all know I'd love to. But AFAIK, the only local CPAer is Duel, and I introduced him to this place. Next time I go to a major convention (Prerelease, PTQ, etc) I'll try to tell everyone in case there's actually someone in my area. (Portland, Oregon. Anyone? I'm all alone... :( )

Oh, well...

Re: Active CPA

I've said this several times before, and I'll say it again - The CPA is inactive in the political world of Magic right now, but that doesn't mean we have to _stay_ inactive. Unfortunately, activity implies purpose, and purpose implies issues. And I can't think of an issue to grab onto at the moment. Can anyone?

C

Cateran Emperor

RE: Zadok

Ah, so you're the nameless fellow then. I thought I'd seen that somewhere... Oh well. The problem with being active is just as you say, there is no problem right now. No cards are abjectly dominating the environment enough to petition about, nor are any sets blatantly over/underpowered.

By the way, if anyone else lives in centralish New Jersey (USA), feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to direct you to my home store.

D

Darsh

...I tell people online about this place but there are not many Magic players that go to magic sites at all around here, but I do advertise the CPA in the best way....on school desks.;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
CE has a good point: unless you have loads of free time (like at work ;)), you can't really devote yourself to the forums and read all the threads. Obviously all of us active members of some amount of free time, but probably the majority of Magic players like that "read the article, maybe do a quick reply, get out and go on to the next article/Magic site".

So perhaps the CPA is really doing the best it can, since the forums ARE the main strength of it.

In regards to Zadok's question, I definitely follow your logic but as you said at the end, there just doesn't seem to be an issue to rally around.

R

Rando

This is all well and good ladies and gentlemen, but what about my first point, which no one has mentioned:

How do we repay Ed?

I do not like the idea of my favorite Magic site existing only because of one person's good graces. It is not fair to him, and should something unfortunate happen, it's not fair to us.

R

Rando

Maybe we should break down and allow some banners.

The more trafic we start to get, the more they will become a nessesity.

Unless some of us want to start cutting checks, or find some other way to raise funds.

We could allow for a card auction, or post some cards on the front page for bidding, switching them out as they get sold. The funding could then be channeled toward the upkeep of this site.

I would be more then happy to donate cards. This is a serious issue that should not be ignored.

T

terzarima

Eureka!!!

In one of my rare momements I have got an odd yet some how interesting and brilliant idea!!! Posters ( real ones, not internet)! If somehow we could raise funds to make some posters and ship them out (we could mail them up to me in canada if we were really desperate) we could go around and ask different card shops to see if they'd put them up in their shops!!! Its not a bad idea, come on!

A

Almindhra

Now is this money for web space? or to pay Ed?...I don't know if I'm really keen on shelling out money to actually pay Ed (no offense)...I mean, yes, most of us are grateful for what he has done with this site...But I'm hoping he does it because he wants to and not because he has to...

On that note, I think raising funds for web space is a good thing...We've talked about donating cards before...What ever became of that?...Did theorgg pocket the money?..;)...And do we even get enough money from selling a bunch of commons on eBay?...

I'm not too keen on banners either...But what if you could put a banner on the bottom of the page?...But I bet no business is stupid enough to do that...Donations?...Hmm, as I said most of us are kids, or even collage aged and money is very near and dear to our hearts...

So I see I'm not coming up with any ideas really...Just knocking them down...But, I do have a bunch of commons that are just sitting in a 5-tiered box...loiting the bedroom...But before I donate anything, I want to know where its going, and what profits are going to made off of it...

T

Teferi

dang
that posters idea was a good one

now mine seems weird....

D

DÛke

...could give you straight out cold, hard cash...up to a $100, but please...no more. I also HAVE to know where the money is goin', otherwise, forget my donations...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what's up with that either, but from what I remember I think ChasDen was getting the cards, not theorgg. But he could probably also give an update on that, along with the buttons.