Time for me to say goodbye

R

rkoelsch

I really enjoyed my time here. But unfortunately I have let Magic become almost an addiction to me. It has caused problems at work and at home. The only way I know to straighten out my life is to quite cold turkey. So I wil be selling my cards and no longer visit magic sites. I know this will probably seem extreme to some of you but I need to convince my wife I am sincere. For those I have pending trades with. If you didn't send the cards don't send them. I will send the cards I had promised and will return yours if I receive them after I sell my cards tonight. Thanks again

B

Baskil

While I do agree with you that it can be like an addiction, I tend to disagree with the notion that you need to sell your cards when you quit. I have seen it too many times. A guy buys Magic like crazy, plays for a while, says "Oooh, if I sell my cards, I can (insert here)." Then, after a couple of months or a couple of years, they come back, wishing they hadn't sold their cards for 50% of what you could get for them right now.

Advice: Put the cards in storage and don't touch them. Later, when you feel like your life is stabilized, you may be able to go back to them without the large burden of having to buy back a lot of the cards.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Does your wife dislike Magic too? <sigh>

I agree with Baskil; keep your cards, just don't play. That's what I've been doing, although I've started to be able to get on Apprentice when my wife is busy with other stuff.

I know how your situation can be... :(

A

Almindhra

Its the case with most married men, and I've seen it before...

Its a hobby ladies...Get over it...People need something other than a job, school, family, theres needs to be their escape and fun time...Let them play Magic with the buds...Maybe you'll learn to like it if you give the game a chance!...

This really pisses me off...And I wish I could give rkoelsch's and Spiderman's wives a good, swift, kick in the a**...And that goes for any other women out there!...

If it really is a money problem, I can see that...Then you need a budget or what not...But that goes for anything out there...What if you're into electronics? or stamps?...Those cost money, everything costs money!...Next time your wife wants to buy some new makeup or clothes, tell her no, because she enjoys buying those things and its not something she needs...If it has to go for you, the same should go for her...

I hate females!!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My wife likes some games and has played Wyvern and Pokemon in the CCG market specifically, but she feels Magic was taking up a lot of my time which I will admit was true. She has tried Magic but did not quite get the handle on it (and I admit also I am probably a lousy teacher in that I assume too much and I have little patience) so it's not all her fault. Plus she never buys makeup and only clothes when she needs them (honest!) so I don't mind most of the time.

She's really wonderful!

M

Mr_Pestilence

Rkoelsch: I finally got your card from our trade - thanks!

About quitting Magic: sometimes you have to make concessions to keep your spouse happy - that's just life.

I won't question your decision, but just offer a couple of thoughts.

Magic seems expensive, but compared to hobbies, its pretty cheap. Hunting, Bowling, Fishing, Golf or just about anything other than Checkers or Tiddlewinks is going to cost as much or more than Magic.

Time is relative. I you a spend a day or so a week playing Magic, your wife really has no cause to complain. As someone else pointed out, everybody needs some kind of recreation.

Z

Zadok001

:( :( :( :(

*Sniff*

People aren't supposed to leave... Boo...

Good luck, rkoelsch, don't let anything blow up... Have fun! And if you ever come back aboard, we'll probably still be here to welcome you back.

N

nodnarb24

Sorry to see you go.:(

Atleast you are not leaving because of the change, which I thought when I saw the post.

D

dw51688

You have a wife? :(:( I am so sad. Bye Bye. I thought it was a joke like so many others play but WAHHHHH!

[me]sniffles and hopes someone will come and give him a hug[/me]

D

dw51688

Thanks.

Let's wait here for some sympathetic hug from some girls.

[/me]sniffles some more[/me]

D

Duel

Well, good luck in your future life out there, man. It's a big, scary world without Hasbro looking out for you.

Seeya IRL, rkoel.

A

Almindhra

Originally posted by dw51688
You have a wife? :(:( I am so sad.
heh heh, that 'bout sums it up...Well I'm still pissed at all the women out there...They just don't understand!...But, I'm not going to rant on and on about this, because I know I'm right, you know I'm right...:D

But good luck rkoelsch...Keep your cards...You're going to want them when you come to your senses and divorce your wife because shes trying to conform you into being the perfect man...Then you're going to come crawling back to me and I'll just have to tell you "I told you so"...

R

Riva Iron-Grip

no rkoelsch i agree with Amindrah(sorry if i misspelled) but you need to tell your wife that this is your life. unless it is taking into quality time, and work, then magic shouldn't interfere with anything. this is pretty much the only way that we can get together without getting drunk, losing money, and having sex. so tell your wife that she should open up.

D

DÛke

Oh well.
I never got the chance to talk to rkoelsch, but I'm sure he would have been like all the other memmbers so far: great.

I hate when someone leaves because of another someone. That's not fair. Not fair at all. Not fair at all man. Not at all.
Everyone should have some kind of obsession in their life, just one, or two, but one is enough.
You can't make up your life by working, sleeping, working, sleeping, working, sleeping---where's the fun in that? You have to have some time off. You got to get something into your life that you enjoy.
I don't see how Magic could effect personal relationships, especially, when the other side is interested in PokeMon.

Rkoelsch's wife is, is, something! She's into PokeMon and all, and I bet she spends tons, and tons of money! Well, that' stupid, because rkoelsch wants to spend "tons and tons" of money on Magic, or is that not fair since Magic is NOT PokeMon? Sucks.

Good bye man.

N

NeuroDeus

Well, I always hate it when some guy leaves Magic but well... But since I do not have a wife (until now) I got a Mum. She seems to not like Magic from the time I told here I had started playing it. She said it was a bad hobby... So I made her read the flavor texts and see the pictures...

N

Namielus

Hey you guys, calm down, and get off rkoelsch's wife for wanting him to quit. We don't know why he has to quit so don't make judgement about someone til you know all the facts.

Also wifes are bad? Where was I when this sprung up? Of the things the almost everyone in life wants that is that special someone that you spend your life getting old and moldy with. Well you do other things besides that, but that is an important one.

D

DÛke

...I would just perfer to have a "temporary" girlfriend---just for awhile, and then, I could change her:D! J/K:)!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, I have to laugh... :) you "young 'uns" don't know how it is when you're old...

Let me give you a peek. Assuming you work a regular job, that 5 days, 8-4/9-5 (I'm pretty sure you're not playing Magic in the morning). Dinner is somewhere in the evening and usually you're going to want to talk to your wife because you haven't seen her all day. Then depending on how much sleep you can live off of you go to bed around 9-11.

Weekends may seem like you have a lot of time... depending on what you're doing. One of you could be in grad school. Family/friend commitments seem to come up (although getting together to play Magic may be that activity). If you own a house, you have yardwork/cleaning the house (sucks big time but it's gotta be done). And probably TV fits in there somewhere (like watching sports). And you stil want to spend time with your wife because after all of this you want some "alone" time.

And if you have kids, forget it :)

Trust me, when you guys get a significant other that you're willing to spend your whole life with, priorities change...

A

Almindhra

Yes, I understand everything you said Spiderman...( and that really shows how good it is to have a gaming female )...But women are different than men...If a woman has something she wants to do...Usually she'll drag her husband into doing it...Most likely not to his liking...If a man wants to do something, usually he will want to be alone, and not drag the wife around...Then she thinks hes ignoring her, and she'll get pissy...

Originally posted by Spiderman

Trust me, when you guys get a significant other that you're willing to spend your whole life with, priorities change...
And I'm already there so I know how priorities are...We don't live together, but we're together all day, everyday...( I know that isn't the same )...

Females should be more into gaming...