Three Cards

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by Jigglypuff
You're right. I completely forgot about that. Green should only get mana-producers and inferior creatures. How silly of me.

(- STeve -)
Green is about superior fat creatures, mana producers, disenchants, life gain, stupid effects dealing with creatures (Biorhythm, Oath of Druids etc.), creature recursion, creature enhancing, land animating, land destruction and some other effects, mainly dealing with creatures (the weakest sort of permanent ;) ).

Green is not about countering spells, only activated abilities. :)

Of course you can still bleed abilities to other colours, but that should be done in flavour and being rather weak (e.g. Skullscorch)
It would certainly be interesting to see a counterspell for 2GG which gives that spell's controller X 2/2 Bears instead.

Captain Caveman's idea is also pretty cool and in flavour.

But making a good green counterspell would defeat the purpose about there being 5 colors.

my 2 eurocent

J

Jigglypuff

Superior fat? Since green's 3-mana creature are so much better when compared to Phyrexian Negator and Serendib Efreet. And green's 5-mana creatures are so much better when compared to Morphling. Who would play Morphling when Gorilla Berserkers are available?*

Besides, didn't MaRo say that Wild Mongrel and Basking Rootwalla were mistakes? Didn't he say that green would never get anything even close to that good ever again? Didn't he conveniently forget to say that blue would never get anything remotely close to Morphling ever again?

EDIT: Actually, he didn't say any of those things. But Randy Buehler did. Oops.

(- Steve -)

* Not discounting Gorilla theme decks, of course.

L

Lotus Mox

Basking Rootwalla + Mongrel are weenies, Randy said that green won't get such good small creatures anymore, and Mongrel was definitely a mistake when you consider the graveyard/madness theme of OBC. I like the fact that white gets at least better weenies than green, it got the shaft lately and Onslaught (and Judgment too IMO) helped it a bit.

Call of the Herd is generally better than Phyrexian Negator.
Morphling was a mistake, but comparing it to Gorilla Berserkers is like comparing Riptide Chronologist to Weatherseed Treefolk.

When talking about the new distribution of abilities, it isn't really fair to talk too much about old creatures. It doesn't make much sense to criticise wotc that nowadays greens big creatures aren't as good as older blue creatures, in MtG, you can rotate out the cards which are too powerful, you don't neccessarily have to make newer cards better and better.

OTOH having the generally best big creatures isn't the greatest part of the colour pie to have, since the other colours will all get some good creatures (including big ones) too because they are the essence of MtG.

But giving green countermagic is most certainly wrong, it can destroy all non-creature permanents, and has the best creatures, it shouldn't be able to shut down instants, sorceries and troublesome creatures so easily.

Green got already creature-based card draw, and Disenchant effects with Onslaught, and this was just the beginning (although green is already quite powerful, so I have a feeling it won't get much more). Also Onslaught is big creature friendly as the black removal spells it contains are generally more suited for offing weenies. The bounce is also rather weak. For these changes losing the best weenies is just fair IMHO.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Seredib Efreet is definitely too old to be compared; that was before they decided on "flavors" for the colors.

Green could probably get a counterspell but with a higher cost or drawback that blue wouldn't have. Like it's first-strike creatures were higher cc or different rarity than white or red now has that 'take control of creature for a turn' card and black had a creature counter spell but with a greater cost (pay life?) than blue Remove Soul.

J

Jigglypuff

I wasn't really comparing earlier cards to newer cards. I was mostly commenting how green has historically gotten weaker fat than the other colors, even though it was supposed to be "the creature color".

(- Steve -)

C

Captain Caveman

I've always thought of Green as the Fattie creature color.

But your point and Jp's point are both right, I my opinion. Green
should have superior FAT and superior creatures if it is considered
the creature color.

IMO, Green should always have some creatures in Type II that
have power and toughness equal to there converted mana
cost. (e.g. 4/4 for 2GG)and one or two that are real good.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it......:)

Caveman's junky Green guy..

Card Title: Giant Pinequil
Color: Green
Type: Creature-Giant Basilisk
Cost: 1GG
Pow/Tgh: 3/3
Card Text: Destroy all creatures that block Giant Pinequil.
"Run Hans, thats' no Lhurg...o...l...

J

Jigglypuff

That was exactly my point. I interpret "creature color" to mean it has the best creatures, not just the most.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is it like what Capt. Caveman says and has p/t = cc? All the time? The majority of time? With no drawback? I think the Serendib Efreet has a drawback...

The majority vs other colors? Can other colors get "some"? Or are they totally shut out (p/t < cc and/or with drawback)?

J

Jigglypuff

I don't think that other colors should be shut out of having some good efficient fat. But I think that green should have the highest percentage of good efficient fat.

(- Steve -)

C

Captain Caveman

I see not reason for Green to get all the good fatties but I
believe it should have the largest percentage of quality fAt.

What JP said......

I'd like to see each color have a few good Fatties, a few good
weenies and a few good utility guys. Whats a "good" card?
I'm not sure but templets from past set do exist.

"Is it like what Capt. Caveman says and has p/t = cc? All the time? The majority of time? With no drawback?"

In my opinion, Green should have a "few" of; p/t = cc without a
drawback. Ravenous Baloth is a good example of such a creature
card. I'm not trying to suggest that every green card should be
of that quality, just a few. I would rather see Green use Trample
and the Basilisk ability a lot more but that's just me.

:)