Think about it...

M

Mundungu

As Zadok I would refer to the spring season where many asked questions about the being and goals of CPA.

Things have changed since then, not many but enough to see that the CPA has matured and now taken a stable form.

New members are integrated always more easily and they adapt to the style of the CPA. I rember joining when there was only 140 + members. We now have almost 5 times that number !!!

I think the CPA has found itself. And I like the way it is.
It can grow within itself and to a point where recognition in the magic comunity is spreading.
Orgg's sefforts with the inteviews, references in Meridian (RIP), MindRipper (an article from Zadok), MTG news are all signs that CPA is now an accepted and reconned with group within the community.

And as such already achieved the hardest of its goals.

I am personally thank Ed for providing the traffic information (I wanted to know for a while but was too lazy to write). Why, Because I like the CPA and am also proud of it. I am also grateful that he actually ASKED what we think.

He runs the site, could have done what he wanted, when he wanted.

It is a great democratic victory for the CPA itself that the issue is being discussed and a conscensus found, without clash.

I am no Web wizz but I am sure running this kind of site has constrains. If running ads helps keep the site running - go for it. If it can help make it better - go for it. If you can make some personal profit out of it - well I think you deserve it.

In short, if it can contribute to the continuity or further growth of our community, then go for it.

P.S.
A reminder to those who think my writing style or english are no good, English is only my 3d language :) so be forgiving and stick to the content more than the style.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
...but I still think that it's the ACTIVE members that count, not the total number. Ed said a couple weeks ago that there were only about 138 active members... not very impressive.

And I believe Ed's words in the starting post here was "Ads are inevitable. Deal with it". Not very democratic... (no offense, Ed).

In other words, they're going to happen whether we like it or not. Even if the majority of posts on this thread said "NO!!!" (which THEN it would probably look like it did in the spring) that wouldn't change things. Ergo: not democratic.

M

Mundungu

there already advertiesement on the front page ....
Subtle and in the color tones, in a way that I wouldnt see it anymore but it is there ....

And does it shock anyone ?

So it is not even about having advertisement or not, it is just about having MORE advertisement.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
...MOTL's banner? The place that hosts the CPA? I don't consider it advertising... it's like putting "Pepsi" on the plant that produces Mountain Dew...

D

dw51688

Odd, but interesting analogy Spidey. It really makes you think.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Ack! Lots to reply to.

Probably some techie stuff here, so... :p

Ads are good as long as they are not the pop-up ones. (The ones that open a serparte window to advertise)
I close all those before they even open anyway :) I have a hare-trigger when it comes to popups, but their CPM rates are quite good, IIRC.

First of all, that sig-removal line was hilarious, Ed.
Should've been "Alakazam! Sig go BAM!", but alas, I just thought of it now :D

ED: please add all the banners in header right below body (unless you can stick that tag elsewhere), and if you can figure out how to do this have the graphics load last for the page. Just ideas most likey will not work
Ok, THIS is techie :)
The ad(s) will either go just below the <body> tag (where my $header variable is) or I'll stick one the header and one in the footer. Probably former.
The ad will either be in it's own table, or not be in a table at all (<center>'ed and </center>'ed). If you use IE, it should come up and not hang the rest of the page. Now in Netscape, I dunno - it's HTML renderer uses a different methodology than IE's. [me]is patiently waiting for the new Mozilla[/me]

Aren't we only talking about 1 or 2 here Mike?
Probablamente uno.

...moving to issues now.
Dammit! This wasn't supposed to be an ad discussion. See below.

Maybe Ed won't be so grouchy now...
Maybe people wouldn't be so stupid. *shrug* Probably not. (Not you Doe.)

:eek: What's this? A smilie!

And think you should hand them alphabetically...Active members only...Starting with...Me!!!...
Nonono. Reverse alphabetically.

[Yesyesyesyesyes! :) --Zadok001]

What happens if Ed gets tired/finds out he can no longer maintain this site?
Honestly, the former has already happened. But I'm still here. :D

Or college calls or whatever...
You got approx. 2 years, so...

are there more people backing Ed up? I mean with the meat of the site, not just TomB's Voting stuff and all...
Nope.

What happens if ad revenue is not enough to meet expenses? Will the CPA be a victim of its own success?
It will be - (7000*30)/(1*1000) = 210. Approx. 7000 pageviews a day, for 30 days (210,000 pageviews/month). $1 CPM ($1/1000 banner impressions). $210/month :D (I doubt we'd get $1 CPM, and hopefully we won't get CPC (cost per click), CPL (cost per lead), or CPP (cost per purchase). CPC isn't bad, but CPL and CPP! Ack!

And I believe Ed's words in the starting post here was "Ads are inevitable. Deal with it". Not very democratic... (no offense, Ed).
No, it's not. But it wasn't supposed to be. This has been discussed profusely for the last couple months. This appears to be the best route as not only will it cover server expenses, it will allow me to FINALLY pay back Ferret AND start running contests.

...MOTL's banner? The place that hosts the CPA? I don't consider it advertising... it's like putting "Pepsi" on the plant that produces Mountain Dew...
We run 2 ads: TMOB's and MOTL's. TMOB ( http://www.magic-singles.com ) hosts us and MOTL for a while put our banner on the front page (then came IGN though...)

There, think I got most of it.

D

dw51688

Just think, you founders are spreading eternal happiness. Expecially you Zadok, [me]gives Zadok001 a friendly punch[/me]

A

Almindhra

Ok, as long as I'm not the stupid...( Ed, I understand, I mean, I really understand )...And I do use smilies people...Its a rare occasion...But I use them...And I only figured we could start at the front of the ABCs because all the important people are there...You know, Ed, Apollo, Ferret, FoR, Duel...etc, etc...

A

Apollo

Cause for a celebration? I don't think so.

I don't like the idea, but I can live with it if it's necessary to keep the CPA going. I may go sulk with Multani and Jaws, but not for too long.

If it's really necessary, then it's better to have ads on the CPA than to have no CPA at all.

Oh yeah. Alphabetical order works for me. It'd be tough waiting for my turn, but I could live with it for the good of the CPA :)

[Edited by Apollo on September 14th, 2000 at 07:47 PM]

S

sageridder

I think it stinks on ice,but we have to do what we have to do.You know i never thought about it, if the founders are puting out of pocket. I can only give more props.I wish it didn't have to be this way. But this site is gonna be the biggest disfuctional(sp) family on the net.And I whole heartedly support any changes that are necessary to continue OUR existance.Remember no matter what We are this together.Yeah I mean you too.

M

Multani

Perhaps this is the best way.
I agree with Apollo. However, that doesn't mean I have to like the Idea.

J

Jaws10387

I guess if we need them we can;t put it off much longer.
I did find i site without ads. Starcity. If anyone can find an ad on there be my guest.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And so they've probably got their own servers.

I'm sorry about moving the thread Mike, though I do think it was the right thing to do. It had already turned into a discussion before that anyway, so I don't think it hurt any.

And as far as the T-Shirts go, I think it should be by "Date Joined".

:D

But seriously, we couldn't give out one to a member name. Casey'd end up with a whole closetful! :p

D

Duel

Right. I don't mind Ads, so ong as they are selective. You CAN choose who's paying, right ed?

anyone here object to a link to the dojo? and they pay us!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if Ed gets tired/finds out he can no longer maintain this site?
Honestly, the former has already happened. But I'm still here.
Did everyone miss this?

So are you just tired in GENERAL, or tired of running the site (I guess I wasn't clear in my original question)

Or college calls or whatever...
You got approx. 2 years, so...
I thought this was rather important... already a year has gone by. Admittedly two years in cyberspace is actually a long time and stuff can happen but...

are there more people backing Ed up? I mean with the meat of the site, not just TomB's Voting stuff and all...
Nope.
Well, that's kind of bad... If the CPA is to go on, assuming you go to college and cannot maintain the site, I definitely seeing this place go the way of the Dojo... rule by committee, get ads/sponsorships... etc.

No, it's not. But it wasn't supposed to be. This has been discussed profusely for the last couple months. This appears to be the best route as not only will it cover server expenses, it will allow me to FINALLY pay back Ferret AND start running contests.
I'm assuming by this you mean it's been discussed in the Founder's Forum because I definitely don't recall it on the other "open" ones.

Again, I don't have a problem with it, ads are not a big deal for me.

We run 2 ads: TMOB's and MOTL's. TMOB ( http://www.magic-singles.com ) hosts us and MOTL for a while put our banner on the front page (then came IGN though...)
Oh, sorry. I had MOTL in my mind still from the tourney-that-wasn't :)