The Ultimate Magic Draft

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sucks to be the other two then... that's the beauty of the Singleton draft, to see what cards are valued over others :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Melkor and Turgy: way to take my next two picks and help weaken my manabase.

Man, my deck is not going to work. This is going to be so embarrassing...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I was so excited when I saw Oversoul had the last post and I thought it was my turn to draft... but then it wasn't :(

Melkor

I have returned, to everyone who can spare the time and money, I heartily recommend world travel (obviously as the precursor to world domination) but all good things yada yada yada. I am pleased that I got Underground Sea at what would appear to have been the last minute, obviously a critical card. I think we've definitely gotten to the point where what everyone is doing is clear, I'm miles away from my plan, but I'm sure it will all work out. Opens up the possibility of a little straight counterdrafting in my opinion.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, now that's how this draft SHOULD be going... roughly what, eight picks within 24 hours... let's keep it going!

turgy22

Nothing Special
I don't know about you guys, but this thread is getting ridiculously long and hard to read through. So I've edited my first post to reflect all the picks that have been made up to this point and I'll update it every day from now on, so if anyone needs to check and see if a card's been taken, they can just go to the first post and look for it. All other posts, you can just post your pick, instead of quoting the whole draft every time. Sound good?

Oh yeah. I pick Sinkhole.

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'll put up links to the cards as well.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, fine. If people do not want to post the updated list every time, I guess they shouldn't have to. But I, for one, have used the list to make sure what I was about to pick hadn't already been picked. Going back to the first page every time shouldn't be necessary. So I will post the updated list when I make my picks...

I figure if just one person (me) does this, the list should always be either on the last page of the thread (or maybe the one before it at some points--I haven't counted).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see what the difference is between having one "master list" on the first page and just checking the latest post by the last drafter. Either way, you're still scrolling through some type of list.

The only person who's not posting the list after picking is Lythand. Everyone else seems to be be fine posting the list and keeping it up-to-date. And someone usually updates the list after Lythand picks anyway.

And I think aside from myself because I'm an admin, you can only edit your own posts. So having one master list isn't going to work since only the person who started it can edit it (and/or me).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Personally, I just found the long list to be really tedious. Right now, we're at round 15 and I already think I'm doing entirely too much scrolling. I can't imagine what things are going to be like when we get to round 30 or 40. I don't mind quoting the list, it just seems silly to have the same list over and over and over and over again. On top of that, when you edit the quoted message, you have to edit who's turn it is and who's next, then scroll down a bunch to add your card to the list. On top of that, not everyone names the card they're picking. So you get some message at the top of their post like, "Can't believe no one's picked this so far..." and then you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find out the card they chose.

I just thought having a master list would save everyone else a lot of time. So if we were doing this democratically, I'd vote for that, but if everyone else wants to maintain the long quoted list, that's fine.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, but I still don't understand the difference between scrolling though some master list or scrolling through the last post that someone made. Either way, you're scrolling through a long list.

The editing of who's turn it is next is a courtesy, usually you should be able to figure out who's turn it is by the last post (except when Lythand doesn't quote). But even then, you should be reading the thread anyway so you know he drafted and it's someone else's turn.

And there's still the problem of everyone editing the master list. Yeah, the person who posted the list can edit it, but then you need to wait for him to update the list if you want to see all of the cards and you're back to the same problem of not seeing an up-to-date master list.

So the current way, you quote and edit in your picks and the next turn.
The proposed way, you post your pick, then go back and edit the master list (assuming the edit problems are resolved)

The current way is slightly cumbersome, true, but I don't see any improvement on the proposed way, but I could be missing something...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I don't see what any problem right now is. If turgy22 wants to keep an updated master list on the front page, go ahead. But, I don't see why we can't still quote the whole thing everytime.

It seems like it's a lot more time consuming for turgy22 (since he'd have to edit it everytime someone makes a pick). I'm personally fine with the way it is, as there haven't been any serious problems yet (shy of people not checking the page when it's their turn). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And I'll try to remember to list my pick at the top of my post instead of teasing you guys :D.

Ransac, cpa trash man