The Terminator...

T

train

No offense...

But if Coleman did win... I'd have to deny all knowledge of your existence...:rolleyes:

:p :p :p :D

C

Chaos Turtle

Good luck trying to make anything in San Francisco straight! :D

R

Rooser

[Thought Bubble: Hmm, if Tom Hanks and Speilberg pass for arty in Ferret's mind......]

I think you're all missing the fundamental irony of Arnold running at all.

Remember in Back to the Future when Marty tells Doc that Ronald Reagan is president and Doc says something like, "But he's a movie star!"

And then in Demolition Man they pay homage to this moment and head off to the Schwarzanegger Presidential Library and the Stalone character says, "But he's a movie star!"

So Governor is just one small step towards Arnold living out the most hilarious joke ever to get elected. (Okay, second-most ;))

T

train

If he does get governor and do well - which I imagine he will... He could very well run for president, and win...

L

Lotus Mox

He can't run for president though, because he isn't a 3rd(?) generation American.

T

train

He wouldn't have to be a third generation american... but i did forget that one of his parent's would have to have been a citizen, or he would have to have been born in the U.S....

However - I also feel that this is an issue that could be fought against and won in a court of law...

Presidential Requirements
The Constitution requires that a candidate for the presidency must be a "natural-born" citizen of the United States, at least 35 years of age, and a resident of the United States for at least 14 years.

Natural-Born
An understanding of the nation is essential for the role of President. The framers of the Constitution strongly believed that a person must be born in the United States in order to fully understand the country.

35 Years of Age
Personal experience was very important to the framers. They felt that unless a person had reached the age of thirty-five, it was highly unlikely for that person to have experienced enough to govern a nation.

14 Year Residency
Part of being President involves dealing with both domestic and foreign problems. In order to face these problems, previous knowledge of the nation's history in these matters is necessary. The framers decided that fourteen years was an adequate time span to comprehend these issues.

The following answer some frequently asked questions about the requirements and special cases.

Could a person born abroad to parents who are U.S. citizens eligible to be President?
Yes. A child born of U.S. citizens anywhere in the world is considered a natural born U.S. citizen and is eligible.

What exactly does "natural-born" mean?
Persons born citizens of the United States are considered natural-born. Therefore, a child born of illegal immigrants or born on U.S. soil yet lived his or her life out of the nation could still be President. A naturalized citizen could not.

Does a person need to be married to be President?
Nope. There have been several Presidents who were not married at the time of their election or during their term of office.

T

train

Why is that?...
Because there are Americans - who stand for everything we believe in - the economy, patriotism and the like, and may even be better presidents than some we have had, but this stipulation prevents them from doing so...

All it takes is an Amendment... and you've got to admit - some people would be better presidents than what we've had - and they weren't born American...

The vulnerability of the issue -
The framers of the Constitution strongly believed that a person must be born in the United States in order to fully understand the country.
That's discrimination based on National Origin... not race - but national origin...

Maybe I should go to Law School...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about the original reasoning, but I could see the citizen requirement preventing someone unscrupulous today from "buying" the electoral vote and coming out as president. That's not to say a citizen can't be unscrupulous, but at least their background is more verifiable and stuff.

Amendments have a hard time passing the ratification of all the states... I think there's one right now which is languishing in about half of the states today - can't remember what it's about though, flag burning maybe?

T

train

The amendments don't need ratification of all the states... just 3/4 of them...

so 38 is a safe number to have one pass...

And it's either by state legislatures - or by amendment conventions...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Even so, like I said, 38 is more than you might think. I sure wish I knew which amendment was in limbo right now...

T

train

I'll do a little study and see what I can find about the feasibility of the non-american born citizen becoming president...

T

train

Well he did it...

"He's Back!!!..."

congrats Arnold... turn California into the healthy state now...;)

Ferret

Staff member
I only ask that he do one thing while in office: Make ferret ownership legal! He's worked w/ them before and knows how much fun they can be...

-Ferret

"Dear Governor Shcwarze..Schwartzen...Dear Arnold, I'm writing to you...."

A

Astranbrulth

Maybe somebody should ask Oscar Tan about non-native residents becoming presidents of a country. He is on his way to being a lawyer & is rumored to visit the CPA from time to time....

You know, I wonder if Fujimori of Peru (Chile?) was not actually originally a Japanese citizen.

-- Astranbrulth --

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
Owning ferrets is illegal in CA? :eek:
Yup. Hawaii as well - but they wouldn't like the weather much...

According to the California State Department of Fish and Game, ferrets are "wild animals". This is a jobe because ferrets have been domesticate for roughly 3000-5000 years (depending onw which history you read). The CDF&G claim that ferrets can form dangerous feral colonies that could be a danger to chicken farmers and such and they can also hurt children if not restricted... of course, in Cali you can have a vicious dog running around your yard that can eat children any time they want.

What can I say? My home state is pretty backwards. You can't smoke anywhere, but they're trying to make it okay to smoke pot when you want to (no, I don't want to discuss legalization of pot again).

Previous governors have stated that they would veto any ferret legalization bills that came to their desks (probably in the F&G's pocket or something). It's pretty sad.

-Ferret

"If anyone would like to help w/ their legalization, buy a calendar from http://www.theferretcompan.com "

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought all animals were basically classified the same across states... like I think in Maryland they're exotic animals (my roommate of old had a couple. They're cute and liked to play with my cats, but I guess the game was "sit on the ferret" (which they didn't seem to mind)).

Just talked to a friend who has some and she said they're illegal in most states, but doesn't know whether it's due to the classification of "wild" vs "exotic" or some other criteria.