The Storm Ability.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Istanbul
It's funny that Mind's Desire is far and away the winner for Broken Type 1 card on the front page.

Considering it's...y'know...banned and all.
Depends on whether this poll was posted before or after the Desire was restricted.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I put the poll up on Monday when after reading all the messages here, I thought it was still being discussed whether it should be banned or not. I didn't check for a WOTC announcement...

I could change it to "Do you agree that Mind's Desire should be immediately banned or should it be proven first", but rakso's example probably already biased people (those who cared to read it, that is).

S

Skyrider

yeah the aluren/gate combo for storm-bait is really sick. I tore apart the old planestorm comeback precon and threw together a deck to test out the mechanic ended up taking out 3 people in one turn. It works, but I think in most T1 games it would be too slow unless a way was found to speed up the combo. Either way, if you're playing green and gating in any sense pretty much any storm card is broken. With Mind's Desire and Brain Freeze being the two foremost (of course) and Tendrils of Agony coming in at third place.

M

Multani

Hmm...

Does Stifle deal with the Storm Ability? After all...it is triggered in a sort.

And then the qestion...Can you counter the copies?

S

Skyrider

I don't know about the stifle, I'll let someone more knowledgeable with rules answer that, but I do believe you can counter each individual copy.

N

Nightstalkers

Scourge not legal in T2 yet! Aw crap!

And I wanted to drop my calculator in the game for once.

<Nightstalkers: The Shadows Know>

S

Skyrider

lmao yeah I can imagine that. I should bring one to a 1.x tournament once I get my storm deck going fast enough (well fast enough without playing with moxen).

Drop one card and then pull out the calculator to figure out exactly how many times I have to bounce a spell to kill my opponent.

E

EricBess

Stifle counters a triggered ability. Storm is a triggered ability that puts copies of the spell on the stack.

So yes, a single Stifle will keep the copies from even being generated in the first place. Of course, the original spell still resolves unless you deal with it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
On Friday I put a thread and link to a WOTC article that explained (kind of ) Stifle and Grips of Chaos. I think Stifle is underrated right now since people don't know it can counter Storm...

M

Multani

Hmm...since Ericbess says its a triggered ability...Stifle isn't needed right? Just counter the original spell, and it won't resolve and the Storm ability doesn't trigger...

And as for Stifle...its already up to $10 on certain online cardships...KardKastle and Starcity..

S

Skyrider

that would work except that the storm ability triggers when the spell is played, not when it resolves. Good thinking thou, unfortunatly wizards already thought of that. Aside from the rare (Stifle) there's no way to stop the storm from blowing everything away. It's a shame you can only have 4 stifles in a deck ::snicker::