The new Evil Empire

E

EricBess

Basically what I'm saying is that if you look back in history, it seems that odd stuff always starts happening just after switching from a Democrat to a Republican.

Of course, it's easy to see patterns if you are looking for them, even if they aren't there. So, I'm not claiming that there is a conspiracy, just that there could be. For example, I doubt that the timing of the terrorist attack was anything but coincidence. I'm not so convinced about the timing of the Enron (et. al.) discoveries.

Duke: You already know I'm a religious person, so a lot of people may laugh at what I am about to say. You won't laugh, but you might not agree either. That's okay... Anyway, this country was founded on good religious principals. Before I get immediate flames, I'm not saying that religion was part of the founding, just that the principals behind the founding of the country were based on strong religious beliefs. In fact, the founders of this country were inspired in the drafting of the constitution and in the type of government that was set up.

The "empire" as you put it, will indeed fall if the nation becomes corrupt to the point where the values of the founding fathers no longer mean anything. We each have three choices (generalizing, that is). We can choose to reject those values and ignore the importance of a good family base in society (think about it - it's more important than you think), we can choose to embrace the values and do everything in our power to make sure that those values continue, or we can choose to simply stay out of the way and believe that the values aren't important, whether or not we personally choose to follow them.

Again, I'm not insisting that anyone agree with me, but I would encourage you to at least consider it strongly before flaming. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you were kidding about the Enron/economic stuff... now you're saying you weren't? :confused:

I think it was a coincidence also... just like the Internet stock bubble bursting. It just happened on Bush's watch (well, maybe towards the end of Clinton too).

T

train

I believe there will be a "founder" or other person that can re-establish some of those beliefs and that is where most parties get torn in two...

So I think the US won't falter on the part of losing belief i those principles... but in the faith to follow them - just like EB said...

It all boils down to us... society... and we are too shallow for our own beliefs at times... we grow weak in faith or doubt our thoughts... if we cannot remain strong, or become resurged then no values could ever withstand the obstacles we place in front of them...

E

EricBess

Spidey,

It depends on what you mean. Do I believe the Enron scandal was caused by the democrats? Certainly not, just a bunch of greedy people.

Do I believe that the democrats intentionally exposed the scandal after Bush took office in an attempt to collapse the economy? No, not really. I personally just think it is coincidence. But what I am saying is that it wouldn't surprise me to find out it wasn't. After all, whether or not the economy is good or bad during a presidency is often used during the next election, even though the president himself has little to do with it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I personally just think it is coincidence. But what I am saying is that it wouldn't surprise me to find out it wasn't
Ah, I see. Well, I guess you can't rule anything out, but I do think the chances are slim... (how did Enron's fall come about? Was it a whistleblower? We just saw the CBS Enron show on Sunday and my wife asked that question and I couldn't answer).

After all, whether or not the economy is good or bad during a presidency is often used during the next election, even though the president himself has little to do with it.
Ain't that the truth. But, people like to attach the economy to the "leader" of the country, so the president seems to get that dubious honor :p

Ferret

Staff member
Now, this I can agree with, DÛke. This empire that we live in is nothing more than a corrupt charade of liberty where everyone is enslaved and most of us are quite content to accept it. It will fall apart some time in our lifetime because enough of us won't take it and will not be afraid to fight back.

-Ferret

"...it'll probably start in Texas..."