The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

L

Limited

Its becoming really difficult to keep track of the set development. Perhaps we should start new threads for different cards ideas? And seperate threads for finalizing each card?

Maybe we can actually have options added to the board? New folders and stuff?

I haven't updated the card lists, because its unclear to know what changes should be added (and I would want to overwrite and thus lose the original versions)..

How are we going to handle this?

I like Moose's Decay counter cards, but I think that the effects are too powerfull now. This way, we can't design a lot of cards that interact with the counters, if all of them add such powerfull abilities.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You're right. The set is getting too complicated right now. We have too many ideas going on at once. We need to create seperate threads on concepts now.

I think our next step is to revisit all of the cards we created when toying with the "everybody against blue" idea.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Its becoming really difficult to keep track of the set development. Perhaps we should start new threads for different cards ideas? And seperate threads for finalizing each card?
We do have a thread, but it is not frequented enough.

Limited said:
I haven't updated the card lists, because its unclear to know what changes should be added (and I would want to overwrite and thus lose the original versions)..
I do have a master list in Word, I could email it to the yahoo account each time it's updated with new cards. I'll keep it as close to the original as possible.
We need a committee to handle this stuff. Then the committee can finalize cards. Then anyone can nominate cards to KICK out of the set and the committe will make final decisions.

Limited said:
I like Moose's Decay counter cards, but I think that the effects are too powerfull now. This way, we can't design a lot of cards that interact with the counters, if all of them add such powerfull abilities.
Why are they too powerful? The Enchantments or the creatures..... I agree that the enchantments are timmy-ish, but the creatures do have drawbacks (Tap, activation costs, remove the creature and remove the effect.....)

Also, I have emailed the original list that I have compiled to the yahoo address. It seems to be a bit off of what Ransac has listed. Is there a way to get a text file out of MTG editor so I can compare the lists?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Fixing Jesters Scepter.......

Scepter of the Jester
Cost: 3 Mana
Card Type: Artifact
Rules Text (Oracle): When Jester's Scepter comes into play, search target players library for 2 cards and remove them from the game face down. You may look at those cards as long as they remain removed from the game.
Tap, Put a card removed from the game with Jester's Scepter into its owner's graveyard: Counter target spell if it has the same name as that card.

Now the card is actually useful in wrecking combo decks or at least slowing them down

D

DarthFerret

Ok, to get a text version out of the MTG Editor, you need to save the file as a "spoiler". That is what I did for the master list thread that I made a few weeks ago (oops, maybe a few months). Sorry about not keeping up with it, but with the new job, and my up coming marriage (OMG I only have about a month of freedom left! :rolleyes: ), I dont have a lot of time left. I will try to get back on the ball after the honey moon.

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
Scepter of the Jester
Cost: 3 Mana
Card Type: Artifact
Rules Text (Oracle): When Jester's Scepter comes into play, search target players library for 2 cards and remove them from the game face down. You may look at those cards as long as they remain removed from the game.
Tap, Put a card removed from the game with Jester's Scepter into its owner's graveyard: Counter target spell if it has the same name as that card.

Now the card is actually useful in wrecking combo decks or at least slowing them down
are we fixing excisting cards now?

Mooseman said:
We do have a thread, but it is not frequented enough.
I don't mean one thread for all the finalizing; i meant a thread for each card/cycle, where you can see the original idea, several alternatives and the first playtest version (perhaps even the actual card image).
this way, if playtesting thinks a card needs some change, the older versions are easier to find.

Moose said:
Why are they too powerful? The Enchantments or the creatures..... I agree that the enchantments are timmy-ish, but the creatures do have drawbacks (Tap, activation costs, remove the creature and remove the effect.....)
i just think that too many cards with, for instance, a -0/-1 effect added to a counter, while also providing some way to distribute counters, might lead to very ridiculous games. if your entire deck consists of these creatures, the cumulative effect is huge.
if you have three creatures that each put an * counter on all creatures during your upkeep, and all of them say that every creature gets -0/-1 for each * counter, every creature gets -0/-9.
so, i was suggesting keeping to smaller effects and less radical distributing of counters. And, of course, specific counters!

Elucidate 1BB
Sorcery
as an additional cost to playing <THIS>, sacrifice a creature you control.
All players sacrifice all creatures that share a color with the sacrificed creature.
"To kill by example"

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Elucidate: I like it. It's a way to manipulate Radiance into black successfully. Plus, it's a good bomb to drop, BUT it may just sit in your hand depending on the matchup. Either you play 5-color with it OR you slip this boy in your sideboard. Also, the casting cost is perfect, I believe. If Perish is 2B, this can be 1BB.

Ransac, cpa trash man

tag guard

L

Limited

ReverseTrampler WBG
Creature - Elemental
Trample
You may divide <THIS>'s combat damage as you choose among attacking player and/or any number of creatures he or she controls
3/3

Its not exactly trample reversed, but still very cute! right?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
ReverseTrampler WBG
Creature - Elemental
Trample
You may divide <THIS>'s combat damage as you choose among attacking player and/or any number of creatures he or she controls
3/3

Its not exactly trample reversed, but still very cute! right?
It's redirecting damage, thus the trample is redundant.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Not necessarily. The damage redirection is not mandatory and it only can select the attacking player. Unless you have some strategy iin mind, you'll want the trample to work out and not deal damage to yourself and your own creatures.

This card is awesome. It wrecks weenie decks (as it can take out 3 1/1's off of 1 block) and it only costs 3 (regardless of the mana requirements). Definitely a bomb rare.

Ransac, cpa trash man

tag guard

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
AH, Attacking player....... very subtle and good........ redirects blocking damage, sort of trample for blockers, but better.

Although it works when attacking too.
Say opponent blocks with 2/2 that has (when this goes to gy you win game) you can deal less than lethal damage to it.

But this needs to be worded to be a replacement of combat damage assignments. Or it could be argued that the player could combine regular damage assinments and this redirection.

Say assign 1 to the 2/2 creature above and 2 to yourself.

You may choose to divide <THIS>'s combat damage among attacking player and/or any number of creatures he or she controls, instead of normal combat damage.

or something to that effect.

L

Limited

I based it on Butcher Orgg and I think the term Combat Damage pretty much makes sure that you don't get to do extra damage.. but perhaps the wording can use some clarification.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
ReverseTrampler
WBG
Creature - Elemental
Trample
Whenever <this> deals combat damage, you may divide that damage as you choose among attacking player and/or any number of creatures he or she controls.
3/3

I think that'll solve the problem.

Ransac, cpa trash man

tag guard

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
ReverseTrampler
WBG
Creature - Elemental
Trample
Whenever <this> deals combat damage, you may instead divide that damage as you choose among attacking player and/or any number of creatures he or she controls.
3/3

That is what I was getting at, not extra damage but damage split between, blockers and attacking player/attacking creatures. This says either blockers (as normal combat damage) or attacking player/attacking creatures.

Or did you want them to be able to divide it up between all three possibilities?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
No, instead works. It's lessens the card to pick and choose that way, but it's a 3cc anyway. It'll still be great.

Ransac, cpa trash man

tag guard

L

Limited

TokenResistence 3GG
Instant
Put a 1/1 Saproling token into play for each attacking creature. All attacking creatures gain trample until end of turn.

Either a cheap way to make some tokens, or to give your own attackers trample, or make some surprise blockers at the expense of some trample damage.. or just totally wreck a weenie deck :p

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but you couldn't use these tokens as suprise blockers.

The Combat Phase goes "Choose Attackers, Choose Defenders, Responses, Damage, Responses to Damage", last I checked (though it very well may have changed). When you CAN play this card during the first time you can response, it is too late to declare any blockers and they'll just sit there. This is why Flash Foliage specifically has the text "Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play blocking target creature attacking you." It gives you the ability to block a creature, not the option.

I still think this card is interesting, but it needs a little tweaking to have the intent that you wanted.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac...... nope.
After attackers are delcared, each player has the opportunity to start a stack and this could be played before blockers are declared. Then they could be used as blockers.

The Combat phase (step):
Resonses to entering Combat step (Stack possible)
Declare Attackers (No stack possible)
Responses and/or triggered abilities (Stack possible)
Declare Defenders (No stack possible)
Responses and/or triggered abilities (Stack possible)
* Assign First strike Combat damage (if needed)
* Responses to damage on the stack (if needed)
* Responses and/or triggered abilities (Stack possible) (if needed)
Assign combat Damage,
Responses to damage on the stack
End of combat (Stack possible)

Limited said:
TokenResistence 3GG
Instant
Put a 1/1 Saproling token into play for each attacking creature. All attacking creatures gain trample until end of turn.

Either a cheap way to make some tokens, or to give your own attackers trample, or make some surprise blockers at the expense of some trample damage.. or just totally wreck a weenie deck :p
You don't like weenie decks do you?

This is a good card, if you play it after blockers declared, then they can't be used a blockers and your attackers get trample.......

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
As I said, they very well may have been changed. And it looks like they have.

Okay, then I approve of the card.

Ransac, cpa trash man