The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
Mooseman, I got your word document. On Captain Bovdar, you have an ability that merely reads "Captain Bodvar gains Trample". It doesn't say how or why. Any help?
That is supposed to be part of the 1G activated ability.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Gotcha. New wording.

<W>: <THIS> gains +0/+2 for each creature blocking <THIS>.
<1><G>, Sacrifice a Wolf or Bear: <THIS> gains trample and +X/+0, where X is the sum of the sacrificed creature’s power and toughness. Use this ability only when you could use a sorcery.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
How do you want the format of each card to be?

Card Name
Cost
power/toughness
type-subtype
rules text
flavor text
submitted by

If we keep all submission in the same format, it makes it much easier to edit.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oh, that doesn't matter. I have to plug the information in line by line, anyway. IF you could though:

When referring to the card name in the card text, use <THIS> to refer to it.

When using symbols, use these: <U>, <W>, <G>, <R>, <B> for mana symbols, <T> for the tap symbol, <1>, <2>, etc. for mana numbers, <X> for X mana symbol.

I forget if there are any more symbols, but you get the point.

As far as all of the mechanics are concerned, the MTG Editor can plug in Mechanics and wording. I've gone ahead and added our mechanics to the automatic mechanic system.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
Oh, that doesn't matter. I have to plug the information in line by line, anyway. IF you could though:
It will make it easier for people to read on the board.

Ransac said:
As far as all of the mechanics are concerned, the MTG Editor can plug in Mechanics and wording. I've gone ahead and added our mechanics to the automatic mechanic system.
You are amazing........ :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
If that's the case, here's my preferred format:

Card Name ~ Submitted by
Cost
type-subtype
Card text
Flavor text (If present)
Power/Toughness

My for relocating the P/T is that it has the lowest placement on the card itself. PLUS, the MTG Editor has the P/T below our other stats.

And, yes, I am amazing.

EDIT: Just noticed that I plugged in the old Time Paradox wording. Please update to read thus:
Take another turn after this one, then your opponent takes an additional turn after their next turn.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

I downloaded that one too. It is a DOS based command editor, but once you learn the system, it looks like it will be a more complete setup. It allows for everything that has been made to date. I would suggest that we continue using the MTGEditor until everything in this set is complete (including all the artwork). Then, if I can get up the time, I think I can put them all into this other editor. It has a spreadsheet style program to create your own decklists...etc.. At least is says it does. I dont have the time to delve too deeply right now, however, I will try to play a bit with it over then next few weeks.

In the meantime, I also got the MTGEditor again and remember how to use most of it I think.

Ransac, I am too lazy to PM you, could you get me the password so I can download the current set list you have posted into my editor?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
~You have been Punked~
R
Sorcery
Target creature your opponent controls must block target creature you control.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

I think that the card should have this quote on it, since I was the inspiration!

You are a punk! - DarthFerret, CPA Sith Weasel

Ok, got the sets loaded, and will start looking at some artwork for them. Is there anything we really need to worry about in the way of copyrighted material or anything like that since this is pretty much a private project, yet on a public web site?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm not sure. I think that since we're just doing this for fun and what not, it won't matter.

HOWEVER, there is a place at the bottom of the card set-up for the Artist's name. Be sure to find and include that if you can.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Can you make the set symbol "CPA"?

As long as we are not selling or distributing for gain.... ie. advertising or marketing purposes, we should be just fine using any artwork that is not expressly prohibitted.
Adding the artists name to the card is a good idea.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm sure we can. I just made some symbol that could fill in the rarity colors. When I tried a 'CPA' logo, the letters were too thin to fill. I'll try again, though.

Okay, I have an alternate icon, but in order for the letters to be big enough to distinguish rarity, they overlap the border of its line. I'll email it to the account.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I am working on some of the artwork (this is where I should have a lot more imput.)

If anyone knows a good site online for pictures, let me know. I have a few resources, but could always use more!

I am about halfway done with the white, and will be posting the cards with pics pretty soon, probably in sets of 5 or so.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Awesome. I just tweaked the "CPA" logo for the set. It fits in the line, so it doesn't look awkward that way. Kinda generic, though. E-mailing the file to the account. Also e-mailing an updated cardlist with the name changes that Mooseman suggested.

DF: You are getting the artist's names, right?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have all the White, Blue and Red cards named. (see Limited's threads by color)
I'll work on the rest next week or so.
If anyone doesn't like a name, feel free to suggest another.

Ve is Odin's brother
Jut is short for Jotun, with some rearrainging or letters
Some of the other names I have altered slightly or transposed letters.
Most of the info I'm using is on Wikipedia for Norse Mythology.

D

DarthFerret

I am trying to get pictures that have the artists names, but there may be a few that I cannot find the artist. I can honestly say that I haven't yet narrowed down any one particular picture yet, however, after this move I am going to be making soon (on the 1st I think), I will have a lot more time to devote to this.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We seemed to have "petered out" for a little bit. But, fear not, I have an idea.

Here is our color distribution right now:

White: 18
Blue: 31
Black: 22
Red: 25
Green: 20
Gold: 21
Land: 9
Artifact: 8

It seems to me that white is severely lacking, while Blue has been on an uprise.We need to give a little bit more attention to white, but the excess of blue spawns another question:

If we do the "Odd One Out" concept (like we have been going through with), do we give Blue more cards AND, if so, what's the distribution?

Next, we don't have that many cards with their rarities disinguished. Now, while I agree that they should not be finalized until the very end, perhaps we could go through and figure out the obvious rares.

Next, DarthFerret is gracious enough to begin the tedious task of seeking appropriate artwork. Flavor-text needs the same attention. However, I'm not sure if we should dive too much into this (or maybe too much into the artwork for that matter) until we are in agreement on the storyline or the base of the storyline. We have the "All against blue" storyline and we've begun to look at Norse mythology for some of our names. Is there anyone who knows enough of Norse Mythology to know if these two concepts can work together? Or, do we go in one direction and scarp the other (i.e.: keep the "out with blue" and creature brand new characters/races to continue).

On that note, I'm noticing an absense of legends. I count 3: King Stirge, Shalla Grimm, and Quaron, Masater of Mutation. If/when we make any more legends, I believe they need to tie into whatever storyline we come up with.

Last, we have a few cards that are suggested with a group of suggestions for what to do with them (for example : Cowardly Ghost v1 and v2, Bifrost v1, v2, and v3, etc). Do we want to go through these and discuss which best fits our sets OR do we want to shelve this until we see where the evolution of our set takes us?

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Sounds like a good play, yet I know little of Norse Mythology. I think, for now, I will content myself with looking for artwork and if someone can post some links for some of the storyline mythology, I will even try to get some flavor text out of it too!