The influx of Spam we've been getting

Killer Joe

I saw this program on my FAVORITE channel of-all-time about the origins of SPAM. It's pork shoulder bits. The guy who made it was an upscale bussinessman who held a contest at a High Society party he was throwing and a good friend of his called it Shoulder-Pork Ham hence; SPAM.

During WWII meat was at a premium especially in the British Isles so spam was sent there to help them out. In fact, so much spam was consumed by the Brits that many GI's called England "Spamland".

Spam was only supposed to be temporary but it amazingly caught on in the US after the war. I ate spam as a kid and I hated it, maybe I'll try it again for the first time. :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Notepad said:
But I thought SPAM tasted yucky. Now you're saying its actually good...???
Same here. Orgg, is there something wrong with the inside of this particular hotdog?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think he said whether it was bad or good. That was Notepad. orgg was just saying what it tastes like, for those who've never tasted it but probably have tasted a hot dog :)

N

Nightstalkers

It definitely tastes better cooked... between a couple pieces of bread... after drinking a six pack of... anything alcoholic.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I don't think he said whether it was bad or good. That was Notepad. orgg was just saying what it tastes like, for those who've never tasted it but probably have tasted a hot dog :)
I was merely echoing Notepad's sentiment: hotdogs taste good, but I have been led to believe spam does not taste good. If The Orgg is correct, I have been lied to about spam.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Taste is all in the mouth of the beholder. My wife despises hot dogs, for instance, and would not agree that "they taste good". :) So you could have been lied to about spam or not. Best thing to do is to try it for yourself :)

O

orgg

Hot Dogs are a small amount of SPAM covered with intestine. The amount of SPAM is probably a little over a tablespoon.

However, SPAM is usually eaten by opening the can, and shoveling the item into the mouth with a Tablespoon. Cold.

Ever eaten a cold Hot Dog Frank? If so, you know what SPAM tastes like.

I've never tried SPAM cooked, but the way I see people eating it around here (with a spoon), that's the way it tastes.

I, for one, do not like cold Hot Dog Franks. Boiled is another story, but I have the feeling that SPAM would dissolve in water, since there's nothing holding it together if the fat dissolves.