The Deck that saved Shandalar!

E

Exaulted_Leader

This is kinda silly, but I've been playing the old Microprose M:tG FOREVER! It occurred to me today that I was having so much fun collecting all of the restricted cards and saving towns, I had never yet bothered to actually beat the game.

So, I just did. ;) Arzakon was pummeled with the following build:

Creatures

4x Llanowar Elves
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Verduran Enchantress
4x Force of Nature

Enhancements

4x Aspect of Wolf
4x Web
4x Regeneration
4x Venom

Utility

4x Fastbond
4x Sylvan Library

Land

20x Forest

Enchantress is a powerful card, even by today's standards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
hey Fstbond is restricted! 467958079-85689-947

doN'T yOu no tht?

also i am 2 lzy 2 captlize letters even tho ther r 2 shift keys on mi keybord and i can completly disregard speling and grammer and punctuation and n e way i think that there might even be some r4ndom -140365304664316164-13134 numbers in my post and i dont eve n no how that cud hav hapned mi keyboard must be broken or someting just like yor deck with 4 fstbond that is restricted ad her my post will -34927098526 become completely incoherent LOL 30-247-6027522547524y087524l'k ngfz;kjhpoq3rgj[tyhnbf]htnrhnnh=adn9-ny=92584n0qn0dghi=9qenhiner9uhni-8yq=08WE=NIFWQ9-8H=3207968378a76&*%^&^#$&*REVGDFIUP^*%083420buiv(^&*^$^Ygyt03wb u-ty9-87WE4R&^(&)(*679

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry for generating that random CPA response to decks with multiple copies of a Type I restricted card. I don't know what came over me. But I was exaggerating, which is to say that such posts never actually declare that they are lapsing into incoherency...

I blame it on the whole "n e way" thing which actually takes one more keystroke than spelling the word correctly...

That just drives me over the edge, I think...

So ANYWAY, I wish I had that old game myself. Cool deck too...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Fastbond probably wasn't restricted back when the game was made PLUS there's several ways you can get multiple of the "restricted" cards and allow them in your deck.

I'd post my monowhite deck I used to beat the game with if I didn't save over it with a new game starting with black :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey, I don't remember if Fastbond was restricted back then or not. That was really not the point of my post...

Didn't the game have its own creature? What was it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Then what was the point of your post? Aside from perhaps being slightly tongue-in-cheek? Because what I got from it was that the deck had 4 Fastbonds and you were saying "oh my, 4 Fastbonds, that card's restricted" and putting some weird post to signify that it was a typical CPA response (other than you) when met with multiples of a restricted card.

Not sure what you mean by "had its own creature"; it had a final opponent whose life total was vastly greater than yours, about 350, but not really sure what deck it played.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The point of my post was, aside from being tongue-in-cheek, that I have been driven over the edge by too many posts that use the same level of conventions. I don't even understand how people can type like that. It actually slows me down to try and do so...

By the time I finished the post, I had gotten it out of my system, but I felt like posting it anyway...

I mean I thought that there was some creature that was only in that game, and not part of an actual set. I thought it was the Microprose game, anyway...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No offense, but if it bothers you so much, you might be in the wrong place. I mean honestly, in the four years I've been here, you're the first to not follow the B/R lists (and make yourself known). I would say that would be a couple hundred active posters who have come and gone.

No, it wasn't a special creature, but cards belonging to what they called the "Astral Set". Basically they took advantage of the computer being able to make random calculations (so one card would be "when this card comes into play, it gains protection from a random creature in your opponent's deck").

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What? What do the B/R lists have to do with conventions?

I do follow the B/R lists. But I only follow the Type I B/R lists for that format (Type I). I don't see why that would be hard to understand...

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, Astral. And at least one of those cards was probably the creature I'm remembering...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. What do you mean by "conventions" when you say:

I have been driven over the edge by too many posts that use the same level of conventions.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, okay. No, that and the conventions thing are not the same issue...

I mean you did notice the ridiculous lack of conventions (spelling, grammar, and punctuation) employed in my post?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I did, but that wasn't what I thought of when you said "conventions". I thought you meant "deck conventions".

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Oversoul
I don't even understand how people can type like that. It actually slows me down to try and do so...
The creature I was remembering is Aswan Jaguar...

E

Exaulted_Leader

Yup. Aswan Jaguar:

As Aswan Jaguar comes into play, it selects a random creature type from the creature types in your opponent's deck.

GG (I think):Destroy a creature of the chosen type.

There was also Goblin Polka Band, Rainbow Knights, Faerie Dragon, Gemstone Bazaar... and some other crap that was equally dumb.

Arkazon, IMHO, was a joke. He had 250 LP when I fought him, and even with that kind of a life total advantage, never gained an edge. They stranded him with an absolutely bizarre 5-color weenie deck whose most spectacular move was dropping a War Mammoth on turn 1 with a Black Lotus. Oh, NO! GOOD GOD! ;P

The most difficult matches in that game were against Red mages, who locked you down with cheap blockers like Wall of Fire and hammered away at your life points with burn until dropping Mana Flares and Shivan Dragons.

Black was such a laughable color. What the hell did Black mages even do before Necropotence and Duress were printed?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, without the Juzam Djinn from Arabian Nights for each you need the expansion to gain access to, black really is pretty weak with just cards from the basic sets. I'm going to try to use the "best" of them - Will O Wisp, Black Knight and maybe Erg Raiders, Hypnotic Specters, and Sengir Vampires and use Unholy Strength for early pressure and Drain Life for a final blow once they build up their forces.

And use The Rack.

Black has terrible removal at this point with just Terror, so it's that and Nev's Disk. Well, Pestilence too but since that affects me, I can't use it carelessly (unless I get a good Drain Life).

Still trying to build to 60 cards right now though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, without the Juzam Djinn from Arabian Nights for each you need the expansion to gain access to
It's called something like Spells for the Ancients and I don't have it, just the original game.