The CPA Expansion Project, Phase Two--Assignments

N

Notepad

Okay, now we get down to who does what on this team. I guess nominate yourself for what you would like to do.

The Team (alphabetical now)
-DÛke
-Istanbul
-Notepad
-Oversoul
-TheCasualOblivion

Design: Make up the cards and mechanics. Likely the easiest and most fun part of the project thanks to the brainstorming aspect of it all.
Playtest: Name says it all.
Develop: Alter cards t fit power levels. Delete and add cards to adjust the mix of the overall set. Probably the outright hardest part of the project, due to all the rules and power quirks that will pop up.
Storyline: Design background world and characters.
Flavor text: For those big blank spaces. Make up some stuff for flavor.
Graphics: If we want these to look better than basic card mockups, we'll need someone to get us nice borders and mana symbols. (Not really required, but it makes everything prettier.)
Art: Same as above, and tied into it. If we have actual card borders and symbols, we'll need art to fill those big blank art boxes. (Prettiness reasons only, and not required.)
Lead: We need someone in command to have the final say on things. Not a tyrant, but someone there to stop the madness when the otherwise democratic process starts to break down. Also, someone to lead the flow of the project.

(Any project aspects I forgot? Please note them so I can get them in this list.)

Once we get everyone's roles figured out, we can begin brainstorming for the overall set. Then, to work on the cards! :D

============
I'm wanting to be on Design and Storyline mainly. Secondary interest in working on Flavor text and Development.

D

DÛke

Design and Storyline mainly here, too. The Desgin part a lot could partake in because we don't want a set created by 1 or 2 people...more minds, better.

N

Notepad

Exactly. I'm guessing after the brainstorming phase, everyone will likely be in on design, and then split to work on different areas from there.

Nice to know I'll be working on storyline with ya, Duke. :D

D

DÛke

You know, it's kind of an inevitable chain. I mean, if we're creative enough to come up with cards, we're creative enough to have visions and ideas as to where these cards come from, storywise. But then, we also probably have ideas as to their flavor texts. :D

So add me as one contributer to flavor text.

The "lead" shouldn't exist, in my opinion. We're all the "lead" in our own ways. If someone decides to reck havoc, then we don't need anyone in particular to have us notice it or resolve it. The project will ebb and flow on with the participation of all members, not the lead. We need no guidance. :) And anyway, at the end, we all should have a final say on things, not just a selected "leader." Just my humble opinion.

Come on people...I have millions of ideas and characters and I need to share them...:D

N

Notepad

I'm all for totally democratic process for this project. However, I've seen such really fall apart in the past. Then again, it might have been because there were like 20+ people on board, and when you have that many, then you *really* need a leader. What does everyone else think about having an El Capitan on the project?

So far we have:
Design: (probably everyone)
Storyline: DÛke and Notepad
Flavor text: DÛke (Notepad on backup)

That leaves Playtesting and Development untaken.

Still waiting to see what Istanbul, Oversoul, and TheCasualOblivion pick out. I have a feeling Istanbul will likely be all for development.

One thing, with everyone likely having a storm of ideas for cards in the Design phase, we'll have a boatload of excess cards. Many of our submissions will be cut, changed to look like nothing they started as, or even merged with other things. We should all be very ready not to treat any idea as a baby to protect. But, like WotC, we should have a backlog list of dumped cards to bring back in case they turn up needed in the development phase. (Or even, if we make another set! :D) This way if anybody does have a pet card or two or three...they can rest assured the idea is not totally extinct.

D

DÛke

Why don't you "lead" this thing then? I feel comfortable with you...

N

Notepad

So far we have:
Design: (everyone, obviously)
Storyline: DÛke and Notepad
Flavor text: DÛke and Istanbul (Notepad on backup)
Development: Istanbul (Notepad on backup)
Playtesting: Oversoul

Still waiting to see what TheCasualOblivion wants to pick out.

Duke, as for leading, no way man! I dislike leading projects and teams and such. We do need a reign-puller though, because I can tell you there will be a point where something gets out of line, or ideas bottleneck, or somebody gets butt-hurt over something and needs to be talked to.

It is only a given when working in groups for an extended period of time. Though, with a group of only five, we might just be able to function in a truly democratic manner.

Since clearly defined roles aren't needed until Phase Four, may as well start Phase Three, the brainstorming. So, while we wait for TCO to say what they wants, we can go to this thread to begin the creative pre-development process:

http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14551

EDIT: Didn't notice Oversoul had picked something just before posting. Doh!

T

TheCasualOblivion

I'd like to help out with brainstorming and discussion, possibly with design. I'm not really any use whatsoever on the art front.

I had proposed developing a new basic set, and I'm still very interested in that.

L

Limited

don't know where to send my application, but I would like to make *some* art.. I'll see if I can figure out the sticky posts on misetings to figure out how to create cards..

When a card is ready, just message me..

N

Notepad

There's a Phase One thread in this very sub forum, Limited. :D

It shouldn't be too late in the process to let people join in. Since yourself and one other expressed interest in joining. So long as everyone on the team is cool with you coming in, that's cool.

So far I cast a vote that I'm cool with it.

We really do need an art person. So many on development and flavor text and such. Not one for art. So hey, if you can do card borders and art, we could reallyuse that. :D

L

Limited

I know I missed the first post.. but I thought i couldn't hurt to offer my assistence..
As you guys will be figuring out what the storyline and overall flavor of the set is, you could give something like an..
ar directive?

*shudders*

N

Notepad

Limited, I think we can always use art people. Just as long as we aren't ripping off copyrighted images, graphics, etc. I think that's what usually sinks dream card projects. So, however the hell Brainburst gets away with it, maybe we can do that, as well. :D

There's new thread in case you want to chime in and see how the team decides on yourself and DarthFerret joining up:

http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14582