The art of War

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In duels if you play to the best of your ability...
I believe that includes bluffing and drawing and leading and does apply to single player duels. Maybe things have changed and I don't know how it is now, but I remember reading a couple tourney reports where someone won because they calculated what they thought their opponent had in their hand and believed they could win a counter war after casting a particular threat, meaning they held onto that threat until they felt they were certain they could win.

Of course, I've read others where they gambled that their threat wouldn't be countered, but that was usually because they were going to die next turn and HAD to get it out... they didn't have the luxury of waiting...

T

train

I've read others where they gambled that their threat wouldn't be countered, but that was usually because they were going to die next turn and HAD to get it out... they didn't have the luxury of waiting...
They either get their combo off, or die to sneaky!!!...

:D

M

mythosx

the thing with counter wars and counting spells and such is...eventually you will learn the proper order of play. All players eventually do. At that point you become a slave to logic. And magic quickly becomes methodical. Unless your still learning. You pretty much just play out the game and the outcome is determined by what you draw. multiplayer mixes it up more.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But it's only 90% logic and 10% guesswork, as you still (usually) don't know definitively what your opponent is going to have, and someone will be forced to start thanks to the threat of decking or the hand size limit (unless something is modifying that). Then you get to see whether you counted correctly :)

Magic IS basically logic, nothing wrong with that. Just the basic idea of who has more creatures and how you think your opponent will block/react is logic. It's the shuffling of your deck that provides the uncertainty for the game.

S

space ranger

I would have to say there's nothing worse then loosen to a counter deck. I really dont play counters to much. When I do it's not a whole deck. Might be about 4 or so. I just like the idea of trying to win without countering anything. I only counter when I don't have a choice.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Usually they're part of a control deck and some people like the control and the challenge of fighting back from the early game and taking back the momentum of the game later... ;)

T

train

If anyone wants ot run control decks with counters - or blue - just let me know...:D

T

train

the key is to run all mountains for your mana sources... and the run 4 of every blue counterspell until you total 60 cards between the 2...

Howling mines may be useful in drawing more counters...

:p :p :p

as for nonblue control with counters - the secret is the almight toolbox!...

M

mythosx

has any one read the art of war? I need some parts clarified. The book was good. The movie sucked. Wesley snipes needs to be more animated in his movies. I fell asleep during the middle of it.