Tezzerret the Seeker: Broken?

B

BigBlue

When we do the Build a Deck for him... is he as broken as he seems to me?

For 0 loyalty, you can grab Seat of the Synod and put it in play... Untap 2 artifact lands each turn (or Mana Vaults for greater effect)...

He just seems to make an artifact deck big in a hurry. Regardless of his "big" ability making them 5/5 creatures until eot.

He could be a turn 1 drop in type 1 w/ Lotus...

Tezzeret the Seeker (3UU)

Planeswalker - Tezzeret
Loyalty: 4
+1: Untap up to two target artifacts.
-X: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X or less and put it into play. Then shuffle your library.
-5: Artifacts you control become 5/5 artifact creatures until end of turn.

Add Affinity artifacts for great effect too...

B

BigBlue

I thought you had to put a counter on it by skipping a turn - so Twiddle wouldn't work... or did they change something?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
They changed that as of last month. It was the reason they also restricted Time Vault in Vintage and banned it in Legacy.

B

BigBlue

That doesn't make any sense... but then, how many actual paper time vaults are out there? :)

B

BigBlue

Making it so you can simply untap it to take an extra turn without having to skip a turn.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's how it originally functioned. It's closer to the text on the card than previous errata were.

M

mythosx

I don't know about time vault working with him. But he is extremely powerful.

M

mythosx

I thought the new wording on Time vault now says you have to skip a turn to untap and put a counter on it. Just untapping it won't work since it doesn't get the counter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, they removed the counter. Here's the latest Oracle wording:

Time Vault comes into play tapped.
Time Vault doesn't untap during your untap step.
If you would begin your turn while Time Vault is tapped, you may skip that turn instead. If you do, untap Time Vault.
T: Take an extra turn after this one.
So you use the Key to untap it (or any other effect that untaps artifacts).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
This unerrata-ing of Time Vault may be one of the dumbest decisions Wizards has done recently....... or they just feel that the formats it's legal in can handle it.

We'll see...... I think it'll be banned, though.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It was pre-emptively banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage. I'm pretty sure that it will see quite a bit of use in Vintage as a one-of, either with Tezzerret or not, but banning it there is unlikely. Cards haven't been banned in Vintage based on power level for a long time now. The DCI has obviously been changing some things up, what with banning Shahrazad and all. But if they wanted to start banning cards on power level, it seems that they'd have gone after Yawgmoth's Will already...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think they want to see how it does with the current (and original wording) after all of these cards and expansions have been released since the last time it had the original wording :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;273163 said:
I think they want to see how it does with the current (and original wording) after all of these cards and expansions have been released since the last time it had the original wording :)
That might be part of it. But it's already known that it will be significantly more powerful with today's cards than it was originally. They did have Twiddle back then, but in order to actually get infinite turns out of Time Vault, you had to have a clumsy three-card combo with Animate Artifact and either Instill Energy or Paralyze. Compare that to Voltaic Key.

I think the main reason for removing the erratum was that they'd been removing power-level errata already, like with Palinchron or with Flash, and trying to make cards behave more like the printed text would suggest in order to make learning the intricacies of the game more accessible to newer players.

My friend tried to build a deck around Recurring Nightmare and free cards like Palinchron and Great Whale (a deck with Recurring Nightmare and Great Whale was once used in Standard tournaments with great success at some point if I remember correctly, but he didn't know about it and it was before he'd started playing) only to find out from me that the free cards had been errata'd.

I also once played a game in high school against a kid who had proxied Time Vault and thought he was being all clever by using it with Voltaic Key. I explained that Time Vault had been errata'd, but he said something like, "Oh, well I'm using the old version." I had to explain that there wasn't any "new" version and that all of the Time Vaults that had ever been printed were the "old" ones, but that they'd been retroactively changed by a governing body. Probably the only reason that I convinced him was that other experienced players were present and backed me up.

It wasn't that this guy was dense or anything, but it's counterintuitive. You see a card and the card says what it does. You don't expect it to actually do something else instead. Errata that completely change the nature of cards sometimes are necessary, but they should be kept to a minimum for the good of new players, casual players, and the health of the game in general. Power-level errata are the epitome of unnecessary errata. If a card is too good without the erratum, then ban it, but let it do what it says it does. Tournament Magic stays healthy and the game is just a little bit less convoluted for everyone else who's not such a serious player to keep up with all the errata and such.

Time Vault was the original power-level errata victim and possibly the last one that still hadn't been restored to original functionality.

Totally off-topic, but I just realized that Phyrexian Dreadnought also lost its erratum...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, but along with it being more powerful, presumably there's also more ways of dealing with it. The Vintage scene is fast anyways, right? So getting both pieces of the combo to get extra turns would be good work in itself.

But yeah, getting cards back to their original functionality so the wording on the card matches is good - the various incarnations of Fog are a good example of it also :)

B

BigBlue

I agree on that count... Back in the day when we played... I can remember trying to prove errata on cards w/o having my copy of the Oracle handy... it was ridiculous... it's bad enough w/ rulings on cards... but add errata and it made the game sometimes unplayable.

Which is likely one reason Magic Online is popular... it always shows the oracle wording...

Get newbies around a "Mono Artifact" and their heads spin...