Terror will be reprinted!

I

Izaryo

Terror... reprinted?

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!
i'm not gonna play other colors than black anymore!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Then again, that is the way of MTG.com. They drop hints everywhere, then cry like...
Can you give me some recent examples of this? :confused: This may have been true in the early years, but it's my impression that they realize that spoilers are a fact of life now.

T

train

but it's my impression that they realize that spoilers are a fact of life now.
I'll agree - though I think they view it as more of a tease... or wetting the mouth - giving us something to drool over...

when it all really boils down to:

We have no freakin' idea...;)

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
Can you give me some recent examples of this? :confused: This may have been true in the early years, but it's my impression that they realize that spoilers are a fact of life now.
They often give their own spoilers, which they are careful to call "teasers" or the like. However, they have written a few articles on MTG.com on how "bad for the world Spoilers are, and how they make Baby Jesus cry..." that sort of thing.

They are two-faced hypocrites that send out the message: "When we spoil a set, its cool because we show you mostly the good cards. When others spoil the set its usually the whole set and that lets you see the junk and that is bad for the environment, the world economy, and the endangered star-bellied sneech."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
When do they give their own spoilers (I assume we're talking about the full expansion card lists)? Whenever someone posts spoiler news in General, it's usually from shade2K or Lotus Mox and they don't seem to be getting it from Wizards.

If it's not the full list and just cards here and there, I'm not sure if they are the same comparison.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well to play Corporate Whore's Advocate for a second, there are other disadvantages to seeing the whole spoiler ahead of time than just seeing the crap they print a few days early.

Think of it this way. Wizards now knows enough about advertising (Hasbro will make sure of this for decades) to know that they should give away some cards as teasers. We are assured official knowledge of a few cards going in, and everyone hopefully should know that much about the set even if they don't read spoilers. They expect people to know that much about it. \
Now IMHO there are at least a few cards that will come to be useful that are not previewed. I think that they choose the cards they do not just because the rest of the set is worse, but to give vague boundaries of what to expect in the limited environment of that set. Remember, without the spoiler, in their ideal world, we know about the cards they revealed, and NOTHING ELSE about the environment.

Some people will have that amount of knowledge, and some people will have been analyzing the set for days.
This makes Prereleases just opportunities to get swag.
I'm surprised that more of us at the CPA don't see that as a bad thing. I'm not trying to pull an Orthodoxer-than-thou here, I'm just surprised.

Of course there are advantages to the spoiler too. But that is a disadvantage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get it. How is getting "swag" a disadvantage?

If you want to know about the set, you're going to try to get the full spoiler whether it's released by WOTC or another place. If you don't care, you could look at the couple of cards released by WOTC and think they're cool. Heck, they might even persuade you to attend a pre-release or whatever. But I guess I'm not understanding what you're trying to say and why it's bad.

A

Apollo

I think he's trying to say, among other things, that going into the prerelease, right now there are plenty of people that know every single card in the set, while other people know just what Wizards has released, or nothing at all. In the ideal Wizbro world, there would be a more limited knowledge of the set and the prerelease playing field would be more level.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah, ideally I'm sure WOTC would like to go back to the times when there were NO spoilers and everyone was surprised at the cards when the set was released, little official "leaks" aside. But like I said, some people want to know the whole set in advance and found ways of doing it. WOTC just bowed to the inevitable and acknowledged that and figured since people were getting spoilers, WOTC might as well release official info.

So I think it's not WOTC's fault, but those spoiler people who drove it to this way. If you want to blame someone, direct it at the right ones :)

A

Apollo

TICM and I weren't blaming Wizards, we were trying to tell where they were coming from.

Of course, me, I LIKE the spoilers because I don't play prereleases anymore. :)

N

Nightstalkers

I don't play prerelease anymore because of: (1) the way my usual place is treating me as of late, and (2) the fact that the official place is the same chain as my usual place and is 20 miles away!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I know he was trying to play the Advocate, but it doesn't sound like a valid argument to be advocating :)

N

Nightstalkers

First they tell me registration is at 5:00 PM. No one is there until 6:00 PM!

And now they have a limit of 20 people when all they have is 25-30 people tournaments? Screw them! I'm gonna start pushing the DC thats like a mile away (Game Preserve is 3.8 miles away) and get them to either sponsor T1, or T2 tourneys now.

T

train

Attention all nightstalkers!!!...

Do any of you own a shotgun?!...

Now... Imagine...:p