Technically, how old is the CPA?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, Ed's profile shows him as joining July 28th, 1999. I don't remember all of the founders and some of them were gone before I ever showed up. But I'm seeing that most of the founders seem to have join dates at the end of July.

The people I know about with "CPA Founder" as their titles are Ed Sullivan, Igfett, Dune Echo, Ferret, Baron Sengir, and Zadok001. There's also the enigmatic Child of Gaea (Phantom CPA Founder). Theorgg and TomB aren't listed as founders, but were highly active from just about the beginning of the site. Nekrataal might have been an early administrator?

B

BigBlue

It seems to me that it is older than that... At least I thought I had been here when I was in the peak of my playing days and those were done by 99 I'm pretty sure... (Maybe not). I registered, made a couple posts, left for several years, then returned one day and spent a few years here... I recall all of the 'founders' posting except for Igfett. I remember others who were very frequent posters (but absent now)... EricBess, train, and rancor to name a few... Then I left again around 2009 or 10 and just re-discovered my past... but it seems like the CPA was around before '99. Maybe that was the date of a newer server? I remember visiting here more than I did the 'Dojo'... which was why I settled on the CPA as an online MTG resting place.

OK, the internet "wayback" machine has it's first capture in '00. So, '99 is probably accurate.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001205105300/http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/

B

BigBlue

What an interesting thread!

It got more discussion 7 years after than it did initially - but it had great insight into the 'founders'. Given the current thread on 20 things... This certainly is still important. Wizco doesn't much care what 'splinter' groups think, at least I doubt they do. I think they do listen to the elite tourney players probably. And they have embraced the casual players with cards and formats for multiplayer. I recall when that wasn't the case. As far as errata goes, I was a judge back in the day for Arena and then other tourneys + FNM and having to keep an up to date copy of the Oracle was a major pain. If only we had tablets back then... :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Summer 1999 sounds about right, since that was when 6th ed rules came out and was the whole reason why the website got started...

I wasn't a Founder because I liked the rule changes and didn't have a problem with it, but almost everyone I spoke to on the Dojo moved over here so I came in January '00 when the Dojo was dying out. We had a great influx of players that year but it pretty much died down in '01.

BigBlue said:
Wizco doesn't much care what 'splinter' groups think, at least I doubt they do. I think they do listen to the elite tourney players probably.
I think Wizards care what "everyone" thinks, or at least takes it all in consideration, but they aren't going to change based on what "1%" think. And frankly, I don't think the CPA was all that organized to present "thoughts" to Wizards; I think theorgg was the only one who might have made an attempt. But as far as gathering "all casual players" together to form a "bloc", if you will, there weren't any organized attempts or outreach as a whole. I think the casual play forums on other sites (starcity, the one Oscar Tan was on, whatever's out there) grew and were more active than here.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Since all this Waylay stuff has come up again, I remember that for the article I wrote earlier this year I was looking at the redaction of power-level errata, something I'm a big fan of. I'd thought WotC got rid of just about all of the old power-level errata (with a few problematic exceptions). I'm looking at Gatherer now and the erratum that said "play only during combat" or whatever is long gone. The current text is, "Put three 2/2 white Knight creature tokens onto the battlefield. Exile them at the beginning of the next cleanup step." Did the CPA finally win out on the Waylay issue without even noticing?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That WOULD be funny...lol

BTW, I joined only a few days after the site was created, so yeah, we're talking the end of July 1999...:D

C

Child of Gaea

Hi all, you are correct. We were running on a different server to begin with , with a sweet halloweenish theme of orange and black. Then the move occurred and that's why you get a little later born on date. As for status of founders I can only speak as to the whereabouts of Baron Sengir and I. I took a little over a decade off and sold bunches of my cards. Now have 4 kids and a great career, with a son who is just getting to magic age. We have played quite abit with the cards that I have and I started to collect again and the fever struck. Now I'm full blown addicted again much to the chagrin of my wife :D
Baron is in Japan where he teaches English. He graduated college and married a beautiful Japanese girl. He spent a time living in the forest in a village eating insects and raw meat and he couldn't have been happier. I'll talk him into stopping by and saying hi as well. Maybe we can all talk him into playing mtg and with us again.
Ive missed the game and casualness of a nice online group to chill with so its good to be back!

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really, but Spiderman and the guys typically have quite a few games going on...Check out the Games Run by CPA Members forum and see if there's something there that you'd like to get involved with...:)

C

Child of Gaea

I am willing to actively promote the site/ put in some money to help out / do whatever you guys think you want or need to make this more . Or do nothing, as the only reason its still here is because of all of you. My opinion it would be kind of cool to see this fire up again!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Maybe we could get more articles? Amused as I am to have taken over the front page, it would be cool to see other articles being published here again.