'T1' Commons tournament - Red Sligh

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by TheCasualOblivion
I have no problem with the concept of a tournament report here. It was more the tone of it. I think Gizmo plays in a hyper-competitive "casual" environment that is about 1 notch off of full tournament play.
The field I play at the moment is best described at 20 random scrubs, 5 good players who dont much care about winning and play what they feel like, and 5 players who are trying to become proper tournament players.

I haven't really seen much from them to suggest they'll turn out to be much good, but there's plenty of time yet. Ironically it's the girl who plays the mono-black highlander deck made up of cards she thinks look 'cute' (since when was a big fiery black flying horse cute?) who is showing the most promise. She's grasping that it matters just as much WHEN you do something as WHAT you do.

Mind you since I've started playing there they've all come on very rapidly in basic elements of how to play. 'In Response' for instance was a phrase that was very rarely heard two months ago, similarly players would take damage from your attack and immediately untap and begin their turn ... "but doesn't attacking end your turn?"

M

Mikeymike

Let us know next time you have an all-commons tourney, I've got an idea for R/G aggro.

T

TheCasualOblivion

Originally posted by Gizmo
The field I play at the moment is best described at 20 random scrubs, 5 good players who dont much care about winning and play what they feel like, and 5 players who are trying to become proper tournament players.

I haven't really seen much from them to suggest they'll turn out to be much good, but there's plenty of time yet. Ironically it's the girl who plays the mono-black highlander deck made up of cards she thinks look 'cute' (since when was a big fiery black flying horse cute?) who is showing the most promise. She's grasping that it matters just as much WHEN you do something as WHAT you do.

Mind you since I've started playing there they've all come on very rapidly in basic elements of how to play. 'In Response' for instance was a phrase that was very rarely heard two months ago, similarly players would take damage from your attack and immediately untap and begin their turn ... "but doesn't attacking end your turn?"
Its amazing how an experienced player can change the play of a group of newer players. I've seen it with my group. Since I've come along, their decks have gotten a lot faster thanks to my influence and my beating on them with fast decks. It also helps that my decks are simple and not that hard to understand. I'm starting to get through to them on the value of removal as well, though that strangely enough is coming slower.