'T1' Commons tournament - Red Sligh

G

Gizmo

I cheated like Mike Long on acid, and still got beat because Affinity is stupidly good in Commons magic.

T

TheCasualOblivion

Ick! Tournamenty

I understand this is an alternative Tournament, but you still make it sound all tournamenty and stuff.

T

TheCasualOblivion

I noticed that myself

He even goes on and on about how important the card is.

Kind of makes you wonder about the story...

Also I'm not really sure if the Casual Player's Alliance is the place to talk at so much length about playing Affinity decks in some sort of tournament. Around my way in real life, we all hate Mirrodin block more than people other than me hate blue decks, and thats saying a lot. I know a girl who trades for Mirrodin Block so she can burn them.

L

Limited

Gorilla Shaman is a common, according to magicthegathering... probably rates as uncommon because each different art version is uncommon on its own?

What I'm still wrapping my head around is how he's going to use ashnod's transmogent to avoid CoP/Prot..

G

Gizmo

Gorilla Shaman was Common.

*checks apprentice*

Oh ****, no it's not. Ok you're right that was pretty bad of me, but there was 30 people there and we all thought it was common.
:(

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by Limited
Gorilla Shaman is a common, according to magicthegathering... probably rates as uncommon due because each different art version is uncommon on its own?

What I'm still wrapping my head around is how he's going to use ashnod's transmogent to avoid CoP/Prot..
Doesn't Transmogrant remove the red color from the card when it turns Artifact?

*does some research*

Aaaah, I think I put that down to the fact I had Fifth Edition versions not Chronicles - the wording on the cards is functionally totally different. 5th Ed versions don't mention retention of color, whereas Chronicles specifically mentions it. Sloppy thinking at 2am on my part, that.

I guess I was having a bad day at the office.

In that case Ashnods Transmogrant would probably still have worked because my opponent would have assumed he couldn't use the CoP: Red on my artifact creature and not even attempted to. Pretty underhanded, but a red deck against CoP needs every trick it can find.

I

Istanbul

It's not Gorilla Shaman. Gorilla Shaman was common, according to www.wizards.com.

But a different card in his deck has never been printed as a common.

J

jorael

Originally posted by Gizmo
I cheated like Mike Long on acid, and still got beat because Affinity is stupidly good in Commons magic.
WTF?! Wasn't there like a decklist and short report?! Why did you remove it?

It certainly obscures the rest of the discussion in this thread :rolleyes:

J

jorael

Originally posted by Gizmo
I abbreviated it somewhat.
Now that's an understatement.

Why, I enjoyed reading it. If anything, you should go in even more detail about the matches and such. Common tournament reports sound like the kind of thing that would fit well at CPA!

G

Gizmo

Tourney reports I can provide, and usually in more depth if wanted.

Next week is T1 '6 pack' though (Type 1, only 6 restricted cards allowed in your deck/SB) and I doubt I'll be wanting to play in that. Everybody else has put more effort into designing their decks already than I will be able to.

G

Gizmo

I didn't see any criticism, Cas, just corrections. Seeing as my deck was illegal there was no point posting either it or the tournament report.

And Hulking Cyclops was Uncommon as well? Oh well... I SBed it out most of the time and never once drew it, so at least that didn't matter. I only had it in for comedy value.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think you should have kept the deck and report in unless that phrase "cheated like Mike Long on acid" was also added after the editing :)

Anyway, regarding CasualOblivion, I think tourney reports are fine here. I personally like seeing how some ideas turn out and while the name of the site IS Casual Players, it doesn't mean we have to be exclusionary. All players are (or should be) welcome here, regardless of what setting they play Magic in.

J

jorael

off beat tournaments could fit CPA. Casual players doesn't mean bad players right?

Tournament reports and metagames can inspire new casual (multiplayer) deck ideas, certainly not standard ones, IMO. They also aren't covered (read: overkill) as much as the more regular types.

I would certainly enjoy them.

T

TheCasualOblivion

I have no problem with the concept of a tournament report here. It was more the tone of it. I think Gizmo plays in a hyper-competitive "casual" environment that is about 1 notch off of full tournament play.

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by Spiderman
I think you should have kept the deck and report in unless that phrase "cheated like Mike Long on acid" was also added after the editing :)

Anyway, regarding CasualOblivion, I think tourney reports are fine here. I personally like seeing how some ideas turn out and while the name of the site IS Casual Players, it doesn't mean we have to be exclusionary. All players are (or should be) welcome here, regardless of what setting they play Magic in.
Yeah the phrase was not an excerpt from the report, but a replacement of it and summary of it's contents.

If anybody wants to try and argue that saying I cheated and lost was me trying to somehow make myself look good then I think they need to go and have a long think about how they live their lives with such suspicious minds.

Which I'm sure is a line from a song.