T-2 Cheapguy B/R

W

Whimsical

Thanks for the compliment, Purple dahling. It really surprised moi that the deck works. It started off as a joke deck ... now it's a joke deck which kicks heinie. <laughs>

One possible evolution of the deck is the addition of more 2cc's to replace Thunderscape Apprentice. Granted, the little bugger is rather useful ... but I'm thinking more muscle is needed. Suggestions? Mindless Thug or whatever the heck it's called?

Yet another evolution of the deck is the maindecking of 2 Meekstones as an answer to big mean critters. I've been mulling it over for the longest time ... and when I saw that Meek Rebels thread by ... whatshisnameIkeepforgetting, Mundungu I think ... that finalized mah decision to maindeck those artifacts.

Regarding Rages:
I haven't seen anyone pack 4 Rages in their deck in mah area. I think anyone who brought a deck with 4 maindeck Rages would be mugged shortly after leaving the gaming area... <laughs> Rhystic is a nice replacement. 'Sides. Rages are rare. The goal of Cheapguy is to make a kick-heinie deck without resorting to too many rares. The previous statement is just a poor excuse, fully translated into plain English "Nope, no cash. Unless I plan on mugging someone soon.". :D

Regarding Perish:
I've seriously considered maindecking it ... but pride dictates otherwise. Meekstones will suffice. 'Sides. Mah friend will laugh his head off if he finds out I've maindecked Perish too. It's a long story. Tell you some other post... ;)

Comments? Critiques?

D

Duel

Most joke decks do.

I brought my merfolk deck to school when goblin was king..... People began to fear the wrath of cod....

T

TaLoN

why don't you try to splash some blue in for some sleeper's robes maybe a couple of underground rivers. Also have you tried chimeric idol in the deck? i run them in my version and they seem to be good. heres the run down
8 swamp
8 mountain
3 salt marsh
1 Raths edge
1CC
2 kris mage
2 thunderscape
4 shock
4 seal o fire
2CC
3 hate weaver
4 shivan zombie
4 sleepers robe
4 machanical rage
3CC
4 vicious kavu
4 chimeric idol
3 seal o doom
2 backlash

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

this deck looks really nice i agree with you on the thunderscape apprentices, i main deck 4 of their bigger brothers, why did you take out the raging goblins, was it that the deck didn't need the speed?

W

Whimsical

I'm really torn regarding the Kris Mage vs. Thunderscape Apprentice argument. I'd run with two of each just to finally settle it ... but it feels too janky. Now running with a set of both = corresponding loss of much-needed muscle in the deck. Darn it all.

Kris Mage
Pro = can poke itty-bitty creatures
Con = have to discard a card to poke said itty-bitty creatures

Thunderscape Apprentice
Pro = lose life ability works around Story Circle
Con = cannot poke itty-bitty creatures

<laughs> It's probably a meta-game decision. If enough Rebels crop up in mah area, Knife Girl it is. Until then, it's probably going to have to be Thunderscape Apprentices...

Regarding Raging Mons Goblins:
Nope. All the 1cc have to have abilities. Personal Deadguy fetish. ;) Anyways, the Goblin does poke faster, but after the first 3 turns, its haste becomes neglible. Side-note ... you maindeck 4 Thunderscape Masters, Mister Azreal sir? Yowza!

Regarding Idols:
And no, we're not talking about the teeny-bopper kind. :D Any Idols I actually acquire automatically head for mah G/W deck ... which I've been ignoring lately. Idols WOULD be nice addition to the deck.

Regarding the splash of azure:
Naaahhhhhh. While Sleeper's Robe is a nice and dandy card, it strays from the concept that every card in the deck is dedicated to beating your opponent's head in. And it REALLY screws the mana base like there's no tomorrow.

Regarding Talon's decklist:
Errrr. Wouldn't you rather use Sulfurous Springs and bring in more cheese in favor of the blue? <smiles and shrugs> To each his/her own... ;)

Return of the Cheapguy (i.e., 3rd incarnation)

1cc Cheapguys = 4
4 Thunderscape Apprentice

2cc Cheapguys = 12
4 Spineless Thug
4 Shivan Zombie (kicks rebel heinie!)
4 Hate Weaver

3cc Cheapguys = 4
4 Vicious Kavu

Cheap Cheese = 12
3 Shock
3 Seal of Fire
3 Scorching Lava
3 Rhystic Lightning

Cheap Removal = 4
2 Seal of Doom
2 Snuff Out

Cheap Pump = 4
4 Maniacal Rage

Just for Irritation Value = 2
2 Meekstone

Powering All This Nonsense = 18
7 Mountains
6 Swamps
4 Sulfurous Springs
1 Rath's Edge

One possibility, going with the Meekstone Angle, is to plug in more Meekstone, and then put in Cackling Witch (or whatever it's name is, that Black Spellshaper who acts like a Howl from Beyond). Then I can drop the Maniacal Rages entirely from the deck. Hmmmm.

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques? :)

L

Landkiller

Ok. To enhance the Mercenary Aspect of the deck...add Rathi Intimidator.

1. It doesn't get blocked a lot.
2. It finds the Mindless guy.
3. It is BB1, not too bad of a casting cost.

other things to think about
Smoldering Tar
Flame Rift
Vendetta
and
Backlash

Consider the synergy of Backlash and Meekstone...that's right...very good stuff happening, there.

Backlash is player burn, with high damage potential.
Also, it disables a creature one turn.

Problems, it targets.
That means, it isn't gonna work on Blastoderm.

But any creature power 3 or better it works on is just broken. Play in response to Armadillo Cloak to totally throw the math off.

Also, it's a temporary effect with only one purpose...winning the race. So, you really like to draw it, but you still need creatures to back it up. Also, Crimson/Obsidian Acoyltes negate it. That's why Dread of Night is good for Sideboard.

W

Whimsical

Regarding more Mercs:
Hmm. The BB aspect of Rathi Intimidator's casting cost can be a hassle for the deck. Maybe I can trim out some of the creatures to make room for the guy. No promises though... ;)

Regarding Tar:
Too slow. 2 copies of it max, if ever, in the deck.

Regarding Vendetta:
I like the way Snuff Out and Seal of Doom complement each other. While Vendetta is a lot cheaper, it's also a lot more painful.

Regarding Backlash:
It's a fun card! I still haven't found any ... or rather, didn't spend any time looking for any. <laughs> Bad Whimsy!

Regarding Flame Rift:
I repeat... Yecccccccchhhhh. :D

Anyways, here's a revised version of Cheapguy.

Cheapguy 2.0

1cc = 4
4 Kris Mage

2cc = 10
4 Spineless Thug
4 Shivan Zombie
2 Hate Weaver

3cc = 6
3 Vicious Kavu
3 Rathi Intimidator

Cheese = 15
3 Shock
3 Seal of Fire
3 Scorching Lava
3 Rhystic Lightning
3 Backlash

Removal = 4
2 Snuff Out
2 Seal of Doom

Artifacts = 2
2 Meekstone

Powering All This Nonsense = 19
7 Mountains
7 Swamps
4 Sulfurous Springs
1 Rath's Edge

Hmm. The lack of Maniacal Rage makes the deck lose a lot of muscle, as well as diminishing the damage potential in the early stages of the match. It more than makes up for it though with the added flexibility that the decklist now provides. Should be interesting to test this baby out... ;)

P

Purple_jester

Poor Whimsy. This, her pet deck, has mutated beyond its borders. Meant to be an inexpensive alternative to the rare-driven metagame, it has now succumbed to the cold allure of power cards...

Where none was intended, there are instead 7 rares in her deck... Soon, we shall be seeing suggestions of the mighty Skizzik, Urza's Rage, Do or Die and Void. <snif> It's really so, so sad...

:D

W

Whimsical

I only count 5 rares, Purple dahling. All of 'em land, and none of them particularly back-breaking to find. <laughs> That's about the most rares that'll make it in the deck though...

Side-note. 7? Where are the other two?

Progress report.

As LK dearie as so kindly explained in a previous post, the synergy between Backlash and Meekstone is fun to watch. In fact, in this deck archetype, Backlash really shines. I've once managed to Backlash a Hunted Wumpus in response to an Armadillo Cloak being dropped on it ... and then dropped a Meekstone on my turn.

Further playing though has shown that the danged deck now has a clutter of 3cc spells. <sighs> Time to revise the entire decklist again...

1cc = 14
4 Knife Girl
4 Shock
4 Seal of Fire
2 Meekstone

2cc = 16
4 Spineless Thug
4 Hate Weaver
4 Shivan Zombie
4 Scorching Lava

3cc = 10
4 Vicious Kavu
2 Backlash
2 Rhystic Lightning
2 Seal of Doom

4cc/Alternative = 2
2 Snuff Out

Powering All This Nonsense = 18
7 Mountains
6 Swamps
4 Sulfurous Springs
1 Rath's Edge

W

Whimsical

Oy vey. <laughs> I've never really thought of Meekstone as a rare ... considering that it's priced about the same as an Afterlife in mah gaming area. <takes a gander at Apprentice> Well, whaddya know. <laughs> Okay, fine. 7 rares. None of which are particularly back-breaking to find. Must ... resist ... urge ... to ... add ... more ... rares ... :D