Survivor: The Latest One

E

EricBess

Yeah. I was thinking of starting this up since you hadn't yet, but so far, there really hasn't been any stand outs. Glad to see that last week, they decided that having contention was worse than having a weaker player, though.

Melkor

Coach is a fun character so far but he is probably heading towards a quick flame out. We'll see how he reacts to not getting his way this week.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it started right before my long weekend (Presidents Day) so I forgot about it and then I haven't even watched the last two shows yet. But I figured I start it up before I totally forget about it :)

As a consequence, I've kinda forgotten what's happened and who's in it so far, just from the first show. I'll try to catch up this weekend.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, just saw one (the 2/19) show. Not sure if you guy remember it but...

Sierra got a lucky break when everyone decided to blindside and vote off Candace. That immunity challenge looked very tiring... at the fifth and final time, everyone was just walking and gasping :) Not much else really stands out...

E

EricBess

Wow, you're behind.

This season has been really slow in getting interesting. It will be interesting to watch how the exile island alliance pans out. This could be the first time they actually manage to pull a cross-team alliance together. It seems like they have tried a lot of things on Survivor to get that to happen, but it always seems to come back to traditional alliances in the end.

I always wonder about a team that is willing to vote off the only person that was doing the challenge correctly. Granted, in the end they didn't, but only because a mistake was made. If you ever get on Survivor and you are feeling overwhelmed...don't voice that. Just remember that any thoughts of giving up will pass with a good night's sleep, but you are bound to regret saying them out loud.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, watched the 2/26 show last night, so all caught up :)

yeah, the Exile Island alliance might be interesting, especially if they can pull it off with their teammates back home and not have them run to the others and spill the beans. I think that teams in the future will be leery of sending the same person to Exile Island... I don't even know why they do that now. Send different people so they don't collect all of the clues!

Are you talking about Jerry? I think he couldn't hold it in, he was just feeling so bad... but yeah, in general, try not to voice or indicate that you feel bad. Erinn did have a little smarmy smirk when Jerry was voted off though - I can see how that might annoy Coach :)

Coach and that stuff about his "assistant" was pretty funny... and watching that one team try to fish made me think that there should be a Survivor Basic Guidebook of what you should learn to do once you know you're on the show: First is obviously learn how to make fire, but next would be how to use a fishing net/fish and make camp :)

E

EricBess

LOL - I couldn't believe they were trying to throw the net out onto the fish. Maybe their hunger is just making them impatient. Now, I've never used a net like that myself, so maybe I'm wrong in how it is used, but it seems obvious that you place it down, wait for the fish to swim over, then pull up the sides.

If someone does know, perhaps they are equally laughing at me, but between the quick motion of the throw and the time it takes the net to sink, there is no way throwing it is going to catch anything without a lot of luck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking more like suspend it so the fish run into it and then close it off at one end...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night's, looks like Jalapao losing the immunity challenge was a mixed blessign as they were able to get rid of Sandy, who appeared a little surprised...

Good thing Taj is trusting and told Sierra about the proposed mixed alliance - a skeptic might have thought Brendan was holding out :) However, from the previews, it looks like this may blow up in his face unless he does some fast explaining....

Melkor

They did a good job of building up Sydney as possibly going home. I loved her saying that the "Sneakiness" was her favorite part of the game. Why didn't she just say, "My favorite part of the game is stabbing people in the back and being untrustworthy."? It would have been even better.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know. But knowing the editing job, it was probably taken out of context and didn't really show if and who else answered the question of why they were there.

And what's up with Taj voting for Joe? That seemed to come out of the blue...

Melkor

It is weird, maybe she promised she wouldn't vote for Sandy and didn't want to go after Sydney?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But in that scene when she, JT, and two others were in the water, didn't she say she wanted Sydney out? Weird is right...

E

EricBess

For some reason, it seems like ever since Survivor 2 or 3, nearly every vote is unanimous. Its like everyone gets together and decides who will be voted off, then everyone votes that way (except the actual person, who thinks everyone is voting for someone else). Every once in a while, there are power plays where the vote is split between two people, but for the most part, if you are on the losing end of that power play, there is a decent chance that you are next to go.

My thinking is that perhaps Taj promised Sandy she wouldn't vote for her. When the group decided to take out Sandy, she went along with it, but in order to keep her promise without appearing to side with Sandy, she wrote down Joe as a throw-away, knowing that no one else would, so Joe was safe anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure every vote is unanimous. From a behind-the-scenes write-up, the show has said that Jeff gets together with his crew and decides the order to read the votes. So he might mix it up if it looks to be close, or if it's a forgone conclusion, he might just read the votes so that the majority go first and any dissenting votes aren't read. Or he might do like last time and read Taj's vote to leave us guessing why she did that when they didn't show anything like that in the buildup to council.

Point is, you can't really trust the votes being read aside from those people voting for that person. It's certainly not the order in which they're put in :)

E

EricBess

Obviously not every vote is unanimous, but they are more often than not. And yes, they decide the order to read them and occassionally, don't read one that was different (though that happens rarely), but at the end of every episode, they do show all of the votes, so even though the cast doesn't know who the other votes were for, the viewers do.

Comments on last night - Tyson is very observant and good at thinking about what he might do in the same circumstances. This is the first time Brendan has chosen Stephen for exile. In fact, the first time Stephen has been to exile, and Tyson is concerned about an alliance with the other tribe.

And if they hadn't won immunity last night, it sure seemed like Brenden would have been voted off. I think a big part of the problem is that Brenden and Sierra are too close-knit. One of the first things said when they decided to vote off Brenden was, "We can't tell Sierra". I think Taj is actually smarter about this than Brenden. She intentionally chose Stephen and is keeping relations with him to a minimum so that no one thinks they are aligned. After all, what good is having the idol if you don't have someone who can warn you that you need to use it.

Of course, as seen last night, that can backfire. Stephen didn't end up having to make the choice, but it's very interesting that he was contemplating just keeping the idol and letting Taj take the hit.

Not sure what Jeff expects JT to do with his tooth...I guess keep it as a momento?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we know why Taj voted for Joe - for the reasons you guys stated :)

yeah, I think people are catching on to Brendan and Sierra. And so far, it hasn't been shown that they know that yet... Taj does seem smarter but since Stephen is thinking ahead and planning his own game, he may not have been the best choice for her either... good stuff.

I think Jeff, from experience, knows that once the game is over or whatever, people seem to want to keep momentos of their time on the game.

Melkor

I'd say one of the reasons that the votes tend towards unanimity is that everyone is talking to everybody else all the time. Everybody is living in such close proximity. Then it just comes down to simple mathematics, if you can't get a majority it is a wasted vote.

I can't think that Taj will be able get too far if she's prone to blowing up like that. That kind of volatility will get you voted out regardless of any additional strategic reasons.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the previews for tonight hinted that it's gonna cause a little repercussion among her tribe...