Survey...The best Punk Rock band?

D

Darkstar

Originally posted by nodnarb24
My favorite punk band has to be AFI, I have all of their albums :).
Green Day Started me out into punk I have all their albums, {1 is a vinal!} cept for kerplunk. Yet AFI is much better! I have The Art of Drowning, could you recommend another good album of theirs? thanks.

To Pie Eater: Since you didnt list a single band, your vote is contributed to AFI as well.

Orgg: I would classify them as NewWave Techno.

No one has listed Mudhoney yet? I am the supreme master of punk rock, can anyone challenge me to this title...?

A

arhar

Gee, Blink 182, GreenDay?
In that case, my favorite punk band are the almighty BACKSTREET BOYS! :p

S

Sammy Dead-O

Originally posted by Darkstar
I am the supreme master of punk rock, can anyone challenge me to this title...?
Um...your enthusiasm is good, but maybe you should leave a title like that to someone who's lived a life in the scene rather ride a Green Day intro into self-proclaimed punkrock mastery. (Note: I ain't the masta...)

If we're into lists, some of my favorites are:

Punkrock:
Operation Ivy (also way up on the list below)
The Bouncing Souls
Rancid
The Clash
The Dropkick Murphys
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
7 Seconds

Ska:
The Slackers
The Impossibles
Hepcat
The Pietasters
Venice Shoreline Chris (Chris Murray)
Stubborn All-Stars
The Robustos
Dr. Ring-Ding and the Senior Allstars
The Usuals

Skapoppunk converts: Give yourself some time and let some old skool and non-punk third wave ska get into your system. Pick up a super-cheap Hellcat Records compilation or something...you may find you really appreciate the soulful musicality that can accompany the punkrock ethic.

N

nodnarb24

I have The Art of Drowning, could you recommend another good album of theirs? thanks.
I reccomend the "Black Sails of the Sunset" album. That one is my favorite next to "The Art of Drowning." A close third place would probably be "Shut your Mouth and Open your Eyes."

M

Mundungu

Well I could not even say what category they fit into but did anybody ever listen to Alien Sex Fiend ?

They were on of my most fav groups when I waz a teenager.

D

Darkstar

I like sak, just I like punk... more. I have over 30 punk cds, Can play 37 Green Day songs, 4 AFI, 12 NOFX, and 2 Bad Religion songs, all by heart on my tele. I live like a punk, dress like a punk (only 1 of 4 at my school) and eat like a punk. Any questions on whos the king?

But really guys thx for helping me out on the survey, ill close it doen at 30 or 50, which ever comes first. thx

S

Sammy Dead-O

But really guys thx for helping me out on the survey, ill close it doen at 30 or 50, which ever comes first. thx
I have a good idea which one will come first.;)

D

Darkstar

Most CPA members pushed their vote for, Offspring. It came out with the most votes. I guess it is the winner. Second goes to AFI, and a short but long lived third to Devo. Thank you all.

C

Chaos Turtle

What's wrong with you people? The Ramones and the Dead Kennedys are the greatest punk bands of all time. My god! Offspring is not a punk band! It may "look" like punk, but it's not. Well, maybe neo-punk, or pop-punk. I mean, I like the Offsring and all, but punk they are not. New punk? Hell yes. Rancid is (relatively) new and Rancid is punk. Humor garage-punk from the Daed Milkmen! Punk indeed! Offspring can't be punk because they sound good! Real punk bands don't sound good. at least not very. It's the whole point: F**k the music, hear the message! Live hard! But anyway, I'm invoking my almighty Turtle powers of Chaos to put right this horrible wrong.

ATTENTION

Everything you have been told is a lie.
You are a poser.
The actual winners of this vote are The Ramones and Dead Kennedys, with honorable mention to Rancid.
You must watch SLC Punk! as it is a wonderful film.
This is not a subliminal message.
I swear-ta-god!
Thank you.

D

Darkstar

I know their choices were foolish, how could offspring ever be considered punk? Your right, DK and the Ramones are great punk bands, yet I was the only one who voted DK, and very few voted Ramones. I have to go by what was voted, I cant just do as we may wish it to be. All this poll showed was that many people have the wrong idea of punk. They belive that the pop antic of blink and offspring are true punk, when it isnt. If anly we could all listen to Detox and Bad Religion, the world would be a post apocalyptic punk paradise!

A

arhar

I just looked at this thread again and realized I didn't vote. My vote goes to the brilliant band named A.C. (A**l C**t) :D Those who know what it stands for, rejoice!!!.....

D

Darkstar

Is A..C.. punk? Ive never heard of them. I sure hoope you dont mean AC/DC! They are bby no means punk in any way.

D

Darkstar

Originally posted by Sammy Dead-O

Um...your enthusiasm is good, but maybe you should leave a title like that to someone who's lived a life in the scene rather ride a Green Day intro into self-proclaimed punkrock mastery. (Note: I ain't the masta...)

If we're into lists, some of my favorites are:

Punkrock:
Operation Ivy (also way up on the list below)
The Bouncing Souls
Rancid
The Clash
The Dropkick Murphys
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
7 Seconds

Ska:
The Slackers
The Impossibles
Hepcat
The Pietasters
Venice Shoreline Chris (Chris Murray)
Stubborn All-Stars
The Robustos
Dr. Ring-Ding and the Senior Allstars
The Usuals

Skapoppunk converts: Give yourself some time and let some old skool and non-punk third wave ska get into your system. Pick up a super-cheap Hellcat Records compilation or something...you may find you really appreciate the soulful musicality that can accompany the punkrock ethic.

Ive been listening to punk for 5 years now. Green Day simply lit te flame cuz i stole Dookie from my cousin. And I cant say I lived in a punk scene cuz i moved a bunch, I lived in Maine, Tenn, VA, KY, FL, ILL, IN, and NY! you missed one of my fav ska bands! Long Beach Dub Allstars! And in punk you forgot...
F-minus
AFI
BR
DK

S

Sammy Dead-O

I didn't forget 'em...they're just not my favorites. Anyone who enjoys punkrock has to respect Bad Religion and the Dead Kennedys just for the places they've made for themselves in the punk pantheon.

I haven't heard much F-Minus...just the stuff on the Hellcat comps, actually. Fairly good, although maybe not melodic enough for stuff I could really get into. I do wanna hear their first album sometime simply because Tim Armstrong produced it.

Are you familiar with Choking Victim, BTW? Another band I've been introduced to through Hellcat...very good...

LBDA are good. My band even lifted their horn line for our version of "Take Warning." Maybe if I saw 'em live, I could get into the music more, but the recorded stuff I've heard lacks some of the energy in a lot of other ska stuff. Feel free to recommend something that could change this view, by the way...

I'm off tomorrow night to see King Django...can't wait...