Stupid CPA extinction poll

The state of the CPA...

• Is: alive and kicking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is: it's still a viable place for Magic talk.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Is: it's still here, somehow.

• Has seen: better days.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Is: in it's September days.

• Total voters

Ferret

Staff member
My wife came up w/ a brilliant idea on how we can advertise, but still keep things simple - click here to find out what she has to say...

-Ferret

"It's simple and to the point and really really easy to implement"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by SeFRo
Now here is how other sites have solved it (and I've suggested this before!)...forum linkage! Our writing (those few of us who write) can't be bothered to constantly come up with new casual stuff to spin into articles. But, the forums are always abuzz with at *least* one topic a week that can make it to the front page, ala Brainbust and SCG's style.

Here are some threads I'd suggest linking:
-Blue sucks in multiplayer (A nice topic to discuss!)
-Ninja abuse (Another nice topic. Get people rolling with their ideas on this new mechanic)
-Buying Basic Sets (A trusty fluffer of a rehash topic, but it got started, and has some talk)
-BOK Previes (People love to give their thoughts on new shiznit. This thread is absolute proof)

And that's just off the top of my head of threads from this or last week. With the right spin, you can make nearly any of the other active game-related threads into a "Whoa! Did you see this!? You HAVE to come discuss it!" hype the way SCG and BB do.
I am all for this. I have seen it done at SCG, but I think it could be better here (our forums are better). And hey, what harm could it do?

C

Chaos Turtle

Linking to forums from the front page? What a great idea!
Wish I'd thought of that... ;)

I wish I had more time...:(

Ferret

Staff member
Okay, I'm not sure what "Forum Linking" means, but something tells me I won't like it...is this the idea of another set of forums showing up in the same list as ours? Call me weird, but I've never been that good at playing well w/ others (well, except in Magic, of course). If it's something else, that would be nice...

...of course, if it means that some other site would have a link to our forums (and vice versa) I'd have no real problem w/ that...

-Ferret

"This reminds me of something that happened on some local BBS' I've seen and they sometimes end in huge ego-wars..."

C

Chaos Turtle

Yes. like the Featured Threads I used to do way back in the day when I had my own working computah.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I think SeFRo pretty much nailed it down. From what I understand, there aren't a lot of truely "casual" sites and I'm always wondering why our active membership is so low. I mean, Anthony Alongi writes a column for WOTC that covers a lot of MP; do the majority of casual players read and discuss it/hang out at the magicthegathering forums? I just don't know.

Tournaments would be awesome, but definitely I don't have the time to organize that. Wish I did though, I'd do them in a hurry.

Chaos Turtle's Featured Threads/forum linking from the front page was great - I just never really knew what might qualify as a featured thread. You could say when it reaches x replies but it always seemed like a fine line to me - when to catch it when it's a "hot topic" and not when it's star is flaming out. But I can try to be more vigilant and active in that area - that doesn't seem to require too much time commitment :)

Ferret

Staff member
I like the featured thread idea. It's kind of a nice thing for things that people say that aren't lengthy enough to be a full-blown article (which get their own share of responses).

I see one has already been done. I can't wait to see how it pans out...

-Ferret

"baby steps"

N

Notepad

Thanks for doing the first featured thread, Spidey! Done at least a couple times a week, it is sure to keep the CPA's front page from being blank. Plus, it gives those who stop by a reason to keep coming by. Our worst enemy really was the deadness of the front page. Problem solved.

As far as getting popularity for some sort of project, it is still a possibility. I was wrong with my suggestion of hosting a tournament, though. That is just too hard to do, and pull it off so we get recognition for it.

The new big idea...

However, we can design an unofficial set. I think dang near every forum has a dark corner were psychos make their dream cards. Some people (such as our own wonderfully psycho Isty) make entire sets, with an eye for balance and card quality. But, this is just a little private type of thing shared a bit and not really cared for, sort of like a student getting up and reading a poem of his in front of his college English class. There isn't much value.

What if we joined together and made an unofficial Magic expansion? You know, form a R&D team, brainstorm cards, come up with ideas and whatnot. Then, like WotC R&D, we playtest the set to see what works and what doesn't. In time, maybe with a year's development, we should have a tightly-built set that works really well. We would likely want to design this as a stand-alone set with the possibility of its own mechanics and themes.

It would be a ton of work. Collaborative volunteer efforts often turn into storms of bottlenecking followed by heated internal fighting. However, if we put together a team or even two teams, and have clearly defined project leader(s) for it, and assignments are obeyed and deadlines are followed, we could actually succeed. And not just narrowly, I mean succeed well!

Would we follow the guidelines that WotC does with color pie and limited/constructed balance in "packs"? Would me make exciting things that stand alone as well as mix in with existing cards? Could we make artwork, or find support from artists out there on the net? Since this is a free project with no profit in mind, would we be able to legally use the card borders, terms and symbols (I am pretty sure, but we'd need a legal researcher on this, perhaps)?

Imagine, the popularity of a casual Magic expansion made by players, for players. I'd bet a lot of people would come to the site to download the card images/text to use in their casual games.

It is certainly possible. I know Istanbul has made at least an entire set's worth of cards. I myself have spammed out a swarm of ideas. Others (who's names escape me) have worked on Unglued-ish sets. Would we be able to put our collective energies into a group project, instead, and come out with something that not only honors and promotes this site, but makes the volunteer R&D staff shine?

In case I need to push the idea further, might I remind you of one man who made his own set, showed it to WotC, and got a spot on R&D to design one Magic set? How cool would it be to *at least* have some recognition from WotC for such a project? How cool would it be that on the minor chance, one of the fellows from our team might get a shot at such a dream come true?

...just saying...

Edit:
Anyone interested, this can be a very worthwhile project. Please check out this thread:
The CPA Expansion Project, Phase One--Gathering

T

TheCasualOblivion

Another small suggestion of a variation on SeFRo's idea that doesn't really need to be exclusive of it.

Make own edition of the basic set, casual style, using the cards already in existence. Put in all the strong cards from the old days that get all the use. Make it like 9th edition or any basic set for that matter the way it should be. The key would be to edit out tempo, and try to make it impossible to build a tournament deck. Tempo is the key, I don't think it would be that hard to keep strict control over the cards that can speed up the tempo of a deck.

N

Notepad

Some good brainstorm ideas there, TCO. Are you interested in joining the project?

Though it might be better to discuss such things under a later phase of the project (brainstorming phase, heh) I think that would probably be the case, anyway. Making a stand alone set for Magic would mean needing at least a few staples from Magic itself. As for making it impossible to make a tournament deck--um, that isn't possible, and we shouldn't try for such a thing. We want tournament players to be interested in our set and possibly download the printout and play a bit of casual because they like the power of some cards.

What we want to avoid is all-out brokenness that causes a netdeck within the set. No affinity, power nine, tolarian academy...stuff like that. If an idea comes up that proves itself to be too powerful (ala Psychatog, Wild Mongrel, Masticore, Skullclamp) we should have a way for the leadership to can the particular card, or have the team alter or weaken the card. We don't want brokenness from our project.

But, we do want fun and enjoyment, no matter what type of Johnny, Spike, Timmy one happens to be.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is the Featured Thread thing worth doing a couple times a week? I don't know how often other places do it - I don't want it to be overkill but like SeFRo said, I want to keep interest. Maybe Monday and Thursday...

I like the set creation idea too - there have been a couple of attempts to do a full-scale set or expansion in the past but they always petered out. They might have gotten to the cards but definitely not the play-testing part (although maybe that wasn't the goal - can't remember). I don't feel confident enough about my time nor Magic knowledge to actually contribute but you've got my support <insert grinning face with two thumbs up> :p

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think it should be done:

A) Whenever there's a thread especially worthy of linking to

and

B) Whenever we go more than 3 days without anything else to post on the front page, unless there's no noteworthy threads available to link to

Does that sound about right?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TomB: Sounds good, except it begs the question again: What makes a thread worthy of linking? Number of replies? People start rating the thread? Best judgement? ;)

N

Notepad

Spidey, the point of the featured thread is to make sure there is always something to read or get involved with on the front page. For that reason, I'd vote for having it at least two times a week, no matter how slow or busy the front page is. It makes for regularity that readers can come to know, and at least have that reason to keep checking the front page.

As for what threads. Well, yeah, use your best judgment. No ratings or post count. Feature something that you'd feel would spark a good discussion and won't peter out in a day. And besides, with the right spin you can make any post into a featured thread. Though it looks like TCO is having fun sparking good candidates off lately. (Don't use up all the good ideas so fast, TCO!) ;-)

Killer Joe

Spidey: Remember when I asked you to provide a link to the forums from my article? I don't think it worked out that well but I'm sure it will now!