Starsmucks

N

Nightstalkers

So tonight I get off of work and I go out to my car and.... It doesn't start. Somehow the battery was like... dead.... So dead nothing came on. So while I'm waitin' for my buddies to give me a jump or buy a battery I go over to the starsmucks not like... fifty feet away from where my car is parked and go in for an iced chai (two extra shots for the strength!) and... There are five magic players playing magic in the corner!

So... yeah... Weird coincidence... >.>

So that got me thinking that howabout we all have a meetup thing at one of these standardized mass marketed food places like Starsmucks or McFondles?

[EDIT] Yes, I referred them to this site to give a shout out... So I do actually try to get new people to come here contrary to popular beleif.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually not too surprised... it's a cleaner atmosphere than a stereotypical gaming shop AND you get refreshments...

I'm more curious about your pet names for these places... :eek:

:)

Killer Joe

In Binghamton, NY the guys I drafted with would sometimes draft at this club called "The Cyber Cafe" or something like that, I can't remember. It WAS weird. At first I refused to draft with them there because I was -in the closet- back then with my Magic playing (circa 1998) and I didn't want folks who knew me from work (school) to know I played.

~shrug~

As for the funny names of establishments I'm sure it's because of Nighty-Nights "Anti-Establishment" attitude. ;)

N

Nightstalkers

Those d*** Starsmucks jerks with their "you just gotta buy a latte" and "espresso it!" attitudes...

And since when does "tall" equate out to "small?" Those coffee swilling patrons are supposed to look all distinguished with their "Starsmucks" coffee mugs and crap? Give me a break!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sounds like there are some real issues here.... :D

I'm not a big fan of those coffee places, but dang, not that much........

Let it out man, just let it out.........

A

Arix

And since when does "tall" equate out to "small?"
I'm getting a flashback now...

Dave: Tall is not small! Tall is tall! I ask for small, they give me tall, but I wanted a small...
Wil: And tonight the part of Dave Hughs will be played by Dr. Suess.

It really is ridiculous though. Since when did tall mean small? Last time I checked, tall meant big, height-wise anyway. Did I get abducted by aliens or something?

N

Nightstalkers

"Excuse my squirrely logic for a second, but isn't Tall the opposite of Small?"

Killer Joe

Nightstalkers said:
"Excuse my squirrely logic for a second, but isn't Tall the opposite of Small?"
Think: Tall and Slender

As for opposites: Tall is to short ::as:: Treefolk is to Hobbits :p

MOOSEMAN: You don't care for those places but I'd be willing to bet if that was the only place to get a coffee, you'd buy one! ;)

N

Nightstalkers

Okay Yellow Jacket... It's a coffee place... So most of the time you're too run down and tired to even give a crap for these stupid word games and such. When I'm pretty much stoned in the morning after waking up I don't want to have to hop on the mental band wagon before me cup of coffee to have to figure out what to order.

I want "small" you jack***es... Now give it to me!!!

"Sorry, b****, we only got tall, grande, and vente."

What is "vente?" Some hoity toity word you coffee pushing pixies made up to confuse the ranks and make it sound so prestigious?

"Vente is french for 'large,' sir."

So? This is America, speak Americanese!!!

"It's English"

Do you want to have a coffee cup for a tampon?

"I'm a guy so... Oh, I get it..."

*glare*

"I'll get you that small coffee sir..."

And don't put any of that expression crap into it... Or I'll stab you with a biscotti!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
MOOSEMAN: You don't care for those places but I'd be willing to bet if that was the only place to get a coffee, you'd buy one! ;)
And I have.... f'ing $2.75 for a refill of my travel mug (that I got for free, perks for working GenCon.... hehe)......
And their coffee s**ks...... Give me an old style gas station cup of mud anyday......

Nightstalkers: Who the ***** buys a small cup of coffee????? :D

M

Mikeymike

Haha, I always give them a hard time about it when they ask for the size. I usually say something to the effect of

Me: Translate 'small' for me into Starbucksese, and I'll take that.
Them: So you want a 'tall'?
Me: Yeah, whatever.

Or

Me: I'd like a small
Them: We only have tall, gran....(I cut them off)
Me: You know exactly what size I'm asking for. Pretend I asked for it in your proprietary language.
Them: So a tall then?
Me: Sure. Say, how come you guys always have to correct people on the sizing - is it some kind of corporate mandate to whore out your naming convention?
Them: Yes.
Me: That's weak. Nice apron though.

Killer Joe

I don't believe I've been to a Starschmucks recently. The next time I pass one I'll check it out. maybe I'll sit down and play Magic solitaire just to freak 'em out!

...or not.

But, for sure, I'll give them the hardest order ever in their history: "A large Coffee, please." :D

I'll just keep re-stating it over and over until I get one. :p

D

DarthFerret

LOL...I like your thinking KJ.

When I have gone to Starbucks, I get really ticked off because....

#1 . Thier coffee sux, they overroast thier beans and it tastes burnt
#2 . They Overcharge for their coffee.
#3 . They have the aforementioned Lingo
#4 . They make you pay for wireless internet access.

At the IHOP in the town where I live, The coffee comes by the pot, costs about $1.87 I think, and it does not taste burnt. Plus, thier internet access is completely and totally free. I hear tell that some McDonalds are putting wireless in, but that they will charge for it also. In Five years (mark my words) 90% of all businesses will have FREE internet access, or will be struggling with a lack of customers.

**Yes I own 2 Laptops, and a Pocket PC....so Wireless is very important, and I do not want to subscribe to 50 different providers so I can use them!**

N

Nightstalkers

Well in this area there's a place called "Panera Bread Co." and they do pretty well on sellin' out their bagels and other weird crap. They're mainly like starf***s only without the lingo and the psychos always coming in saying "I want a mocha frappachino soy latte." They overprice their Chai... but... That's forgiveable seeing as it's a different brand.. Oh, and their wifi zone is free.

How the starpucks next door competes is anyone's guess...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, you guys are pretty funny...

I remember reading somewhere about why Starbucks uses the sizes they have, but can't remember it all right now... maybe I'll try to look for it when I get the chance.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure... like I said, I can't remember. It'll probably be the "official company line" though, so I guess you have to decide whether you want to believe them or not :)

D

DarthFerret

Hmmm...free Wi Fi at Panera Bread? We got one here...maybe i should check that out. I also wonder if they have a smoking section...(not likely). That is the other reason I like IHOP....I can smoke there without having to worry about any new age yuppie scum trying to tell me that I am polutting his air and violating his rights. This is America ... and I have the right to kill myself with tabacco is i choose!...:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
That is the other reason I like IHOP....I can smoke there without having to worry about any new age yuppie scum trying to tell me that I am polutting his air and violating his rights. This is America ... and I have the right to kill myself with tabacco is i choose!...:D
That depends on what state you're in. :p