So, what are YOU doing about it?

Z

Zhaneel

A friend of Erin's and mine just got back from Baghdad, and we went to hear him talk. Of course, we never actually got there, as we couldn't find the church and wandered around Philly for a good couple of hours.

T

train

Too bad Apollo couldn't lead you there with his keen bird sight...;)

I think it would've been neat to hear someone speak - so long as he was not bashing the war...

E

ErinPuff

LoL, Zhaneel... that was quite the amusing evening.. but I wish we had gotten to hear him.

Z

Zhaneel

Hehe. Well, we'll get two more chances.

Today my school had a debate that originally was a very small event, but so many people showed up they moved it to the auditorium and the news was there. It was pretty cool.

N

Nightstalkers

This whole gathering thing is just like people building bomb shelters during the cold war. Just seems over the hill to those of no conscious and bottled soul. If memory serves me right, history repeats itself.

Another thing from a ranting Nostradamus, since we have a stockpile of many of the common foods you see in your local grocery stores today, you shouldn't worry if something like milk production becomes low for some reason, the U.S. government has a milk stockpiled up to five years in advance. Something to think about before you start foaming at the mouth because of something minor. we would feel the epidemic years after the actual event occured.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I imagine it would take a while for the US to actually get the supply out though, so there could still be shortages.

Ferret

Staff member
When I continue to hear "This war is over OIL!" talk, I take a good look at the footage of the people cheering in the streets that they no longer have to fear torture at the hands of the government. I think of the man that recounted how he had to watch his whole family be torutured to death in front of him. I remember the account of a man that was able to leave Sadam's prison where people would be butchered for disagreeing w/ his views...

...sure, this is all about Oil.

-Ferret

"...we don't need Oil - have you ever been to Alaska or Texas?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I will agree with Mazzak that oil is tied into it. Not all or not none, but some. Why do you think we wanted to take the oil fields right away? Aside from environmental concerns?

Texas and Alaska doesn't nearly supply all of the US' needs... need to look at bit more :)

Ferret

Staff member
Texas and Alaska have enough oil to keep the country supplied w/ no outside help for easily 50 years. The only problem is that the environmentalists won't let us dig it up. So, we're forced to depend on Mexico and Canada for more of our needs.

The only countries that were truly benefiting from Iraqi oil were in Europe - and most of them were paying for their oil in weapons. Have you noticed that France, Germany, and Russia have been quiet lately? It's because they know that we found their guns, bombs, and brand-spanking new planes in Iraqi hands and no they have to answer for it.

-Ferret

"We don't need any stinking facts! I'm right and that's it!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Somehow, I think it would be a lot easier to just run ramrod over the environmentalists and "dig up the oil" (which would take about 10 years to build the infrastructure in Alaska at least) than to run a war in Iraq.

Z

Zhaneel

"It's because they know that we found their guns, bombs, and brand-spanking new planes in Iraqi hands and no they have to answer for it."

Not like we haven't supplied them before too...

And I won't get into the Alaska thing.

A

Apollo

The only countries that were truly benefiting from Iraqi oil were in Europe
Exactly--Europe was beneifting and the US wasn't. We wanted to benefit too, so we ran over to take it.

It's because they know that we found their guns, bombs, and brand-spanking new planes in Iraqi hands and no they have to answer for it.
You do know, of course, that supplying weapons to unsavory types is pretty much what America does best in the Middle East, right?

Ferret

Staff member
I wholeheartedly agree w/ that. I think that Alaska's oil fields are not being exploited enough. I also feel that we should be trying to focus on more alternative energy sources...but I also am trying to think what is more pragmatic.

America's politicians are trying very hard to keep a majority of its citizens happy. If you go "butchering" your own environment (even in an underpopulated state like Alaska) you stand to make a lot of people mad. If you wreck a country on the other side of the planet people care a lot less...

-Ferret

"...memories of Iraq will fade. Memories of Alaska would linger..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is going to war more pragmatic than digging up Alaska? Which will cost more? Plus, no one will have to die...

I think more research should be done for alternative fuel sources, like ethanol. It's made from corn and we have plenty of that...

Wrecking the environment doesn't necessarily linger. How many people remember Exxon Valdez? Pretty much the same number of people who remember Haiti or Panama or Yugoslavia...

N

Nightstalkers

Hmm... the all mighty meat byproduct, or what train supposedly does?

either way they have to compete with tiny gremlins that don't need to eat or make waste... Put'em into a car and watch it go!

T

train

Hmm... the all mighty meat byproduct, or what train supposedly does?
So would I be wasting energy then...:eek:
Must eat more spam to spam...;)

M

Mazzak

meat byproduct... HAHAHA
there are two distinct meanings I pull from that, one is spam and the other rhymes with "pullspit"...

So large a supply, how come nobody's ever harnessed its power!!??

S

Svenmonkey

The powers of SPAM are too advanced to be understood by the human mind.