Snow or Blackman?

G

Gizmo

Apparently I`ve been turned down as an editor for the front page because people felt I would bring too much of a 'pro' feel to the site. I`m not bitter, but it has made me think that you all might be getting the wrong impression of me (as if I could be serious, what are you people THINKING?!!?).
So what do you think, am I a bit too Steve Blackman, or would I better off as Al Snow?

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think of you as a pro at magic who needs a taste of subtley.

However, you are a genius when it comes to magic (And im inclined to beleive in other area's as well) and I respect your opinion very much.

I hope they reconsider about the whole editor thing, because I think you would make a fine one.

I hope this doesent offend you, it was not ment to.

[Edited by FoundationOfRancor on 12-29-00 at 09:12 PM]

A

Almindhra

Hmm, thats odd...Obviously Gizmo has been proven to be one of the more intelligent people on this site, next to me...*grin*...But, do editors have that much power over articles?...Don't they just correct spelling?...Check for foul language?...Delete the paragraphs that are about butt monkeys eating chocolate bananas?...

I don't understand why you're at this site exactly, Gizmo, unless you just want to boost your ego in front of a bunch of casuals...But I don't really see any reason why you couldn't be an editor...

And I think you are bitter... ;) ...

Z

Zadok001

[me] is avoiding all names for the purposes of this post. As a result, I'll be saying 'we' a lot. That is not a representation of all Founders/Admin's opinions, merely a good way to quote people without naming them. :)[/me]

This relates to the Eternal Debate. Should the CPA be a polished, professional looking site, or have the more 'casual' feel associated with it? All of the Admins and Founders have different opinions on this debate. Some of those opinions state that we're better off with a slightly lax editing style. And some of us were not sure you fit that role. You (from what I've seen, please don't consider this judgemental in the slightest!) seem like a very exacting person, and we aren't sure how much 'exactness' we want right now.

To be honest, I don't know what will happen eventually. If we need more editors, you're certainly one the first I'd want to ask.

As for how you act around here, I certainly don't view you as painfully serious. :) You're one of the few higher level players we have around here, therefore, you're separated from the pack right off. But that doesn't mean you aren't a great poster. :) Have fun, do whatever, don't let the world blow up in your face.

A

Apollo

You're usually more serious than the average member, but not in a bad way. Plus, your usual serious nature makes your occassional one-liner even more funny.

As far as I'm concerned, you're fine. Just be yourself.

I personally think you'd be an OK editor. I think I'd be an OK editor. I think there are a lot of people here that would make an OK editor. It's really a judgement call of the founders, and I just leave decisions like that to them.

N

nodnarb24

I think you'd be a mighty fine editor.

Zadok: Is "exactness" even a word?

Also, I'm always open to be an editor...

[me]hears eveyone laugh.[/me]

What's so funny? Did I miss something?

A

arhar

I personally think Gizmo would make a great editor. Just because he's a pro, doesn't mean he can't have a passion for Casual Magic (as well as Professional Magic). The fact that he's a great writer doesn't need anymore proof, and CPA would only benefit from Giz being an editor. "Oh, CPA? You mean the site that has David Sutcliffe as editor? I gotta check it out..."

D

Duel

I think that Gizmo would make a good editor.

I don't see the value of your reason not to have him? He's TOO good at magic?

Hey, if I win a tournament will I be out of the running too?

I'd love to be an editor, though I'd bring alot of "scrub" feeling to the site.

Besides, his english is worse than yours, Zadok, so lax editing isn't the issue.

I do see your point thought, but I think Gizmo sees it too. I think he can restrain his impulse not to publish something he thinks is incorrect, or to fix a bad decklist before letting it go through. Can;t you, Giz?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Almindhra - you'd be surprised... [me] rolls his collective eyes[/me]

As long as he doesn't become THE editor (since he doesn't agree with everyone about everything), I'm fine.

P

Purple_jester

Too much of a pro? I don't know...

Gizmo would probably make a good editor. Just because he's a pro, doesn't mean that he won't enjoy the occasional casual, non-tech/non-deck/non-strategy article.

Of course, I can't gauge his skill with grammar, which is something that editors should be good at as well. ;)

G

Gizmo

Of course, I can't gauge his skill with grammar, which is something that editors should be good at as well. ;)
Well I did get 100% for my A-Level (age 17/18) English language coursework (this is "some good", as the benchmark for getting a grade 'A' is about 60%). I`ve probably become a bit rusty since I sat my Creative Writing degree four years ago, but I can`t have forgotten all of it.
;)

C

Cateran Emperor

Much as I have a tendency to disagree with everything he says, I'm inclined to say he would make an excellent editor. He has an extraordinarily blunt personality, but I consider that a good trait in an editor. If nothing else, he could help balance out the strict-to-exact editor ratio.

Quick question, who are Al Snow and Steve Blackman?

A

Apollo

I think they're wrestlers, or something like that.

Boy, if I was way off, I'm gonna sound silly.:)

N

Neil Rigby

No offence to anyone but since when did qualifying for 1 (one) Pro Tour make you a 'PRO'.

Yes, Gizmo is better than 'most' of you at Magic but that doesn't make him a pro. The term pro means proffesional : One who makes a living from xxxxx.

Gizmo makes a living from being a scally student who does as little as possible as long as it involves waking up in the afternoon.

p.s. I wrote this after a night on the p*** and Gizmo is about to knife me, mainly through frustration from not getting a shag re:Austin Powers (sex) and me taking the mickey (p***) out of him. (this is not spam, it's a nice pork flavour ;)).

Even though I have probably had to much to drink, most of the above is true. I have Q'd for a few tour's, on the sligh Giz is a bit ropey at playing magic, although he make's a killer deck, and h...
(*SNIP!!!!!* - Gizmo, who know`s Neil`s password)

[Edited by Neil Rigby on 01-01-01 at 09:18 AM]

A

Almindhra

If he has a huge...(*SNIP SNIP!!!!!* - Gizmo, know`s Doe`s password too)

Unless Ed has somehow discovered Gizmo's gift from God ( I don't want to know how he discovered it ) and is jealous, and won't let him edit because Gizmo has a huge...

[Edited by Almindhra on 01-02-01 at 02:44 AM]

H

Hawaiian mage

Even though I have probably had to much to drink
Yes... 2 kegs does qualify as too much...

Don't know, I just can't seem to give this guy any credit for some reason..

Z

Zadok001

"No offence to anyone but since when did qualifying for 1 (one) Pro Tour make you a 'PRO'."

"Pro" is not being used in a realistic manner on this site. Pro is someone who goes to PTQs and occassionally wins 'em. Well, won one once. (Tongue twister.) :) Pro is a comparative term, he is a Pro compared to the rest of us random scrubs.

D

Duel

Well, if my vote counts for anything (Yes, I know it doesn't, I don't have to be told) Gizmo is in if we need another editor. Do we need another one, though?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I love wrestling. And I would find you more Steve Blackman, who was recently stripped of his hardcore title. But, that's not why. I don't find you as ignorant as Al Snow.

Ransac, cpa trash man

A

Apollo

Heh. After Gizmo edited Neil's post, Ally sounds really silly.