Sligh Of The Times

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Gizmo
...but I back that up with methodical structured arguments explaining why I think I am right.
And then you write them all down, put a check next to the really good ones, burn the list up, and replace what would have been your exemplary arguments with flames (not particularly good ones either) and puling?

Why go to so much trouble just to be a malcontent?

But enough about such unsavory ordure as Gizmo...

Jorael: I guess the "for some casual beatdown" phrase gives more credence to such a deck. But hey, anything is possible...

J

jorael

Originally posted by Oversoul
Jorael: I guess the "for some casual beatdown" phrase gives more credence to such a deck. But hey, anything is possible...
Yeah I know, that's why I phrased my thoughts that way.

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by Reverend Love
So Gizmo what's your actual name. I'd like to see what your rating is simply out of curiosity.
90271948. It's down a bit at the moment, but to honest much over 1900 would be flattering me. I'm content with being in the top 2000 players in the world.

Ferret

Staff member
90271948. It's down a bit at the moment, but to honest much over 1900 would be flattering me. I'm content with being in the top 2000 players in the world.
Still, it's a rather impressive rating - amongst people who might care. I don't remember my rating, but I suppose I could find my DCI card around somewhere and look it up - but, of course, why would I? I don't play in DCI sanctionned events because they have a tendency to be filled w/ egotistical morons who think that their whole entire existence rides on how many games they win and how much "better" they are than everyone else...

-Ferret

"Thank you for making me feel better about myself..."

G

Gizmo

But I'm not obsessed with that, or any of the sort. I bring it into play only to help boost my point in arguments when I'm accused of being "not intelligent enough to understand Magic".

I know Magic, I know what is good, I know what is bad. My ranking is at least part of the side effect of this. I know Magic strategy, and I know deckbuilding - I can point to a huge number of reasons why I can believe this to be true.

Best in the world? No. Better than average? Yes, and significantly. If I get into a conflict of opinion with somebody who has NO evidence whatsoever to back up either 1) their argument, or 2) their record as having made good arguments in the past, then I think I've got good reason to think that I'm better than them and thus very probably right.

The CPA has always attracted people who, basically, don't care that they are rubbish (no offence intended). That's a good attitude to have, it makes the game fun because it takes the pressure of success away. Unfortunately it's also attracted a couple of people who are rubbish but love to hear themselves talk (or see themselves type) and it niggles me to see them offering what is basically utter nonsense as 'the truth'. It niggles me a damn sight more to have them claim that they know better than me, when I think it's quite clear to anybody not blinded by the size of their own ego that they aren't.

A good metaphor would be a school bully reckoning he's harder than Mike Tyson. They both fight (me and Isty both play magic), and they both win a lot of their fights, and the bully even wins more fights than Tyson. But you'd have to be ****ing clinically insane to think the bully was right and that Tyson was his bitch.

And tournaments I go to tend to be filled with likeminded people enjoying the dynamics of a game that they're playing to win, as opposed to for fun.

But tournaments are hella fun, and a great laugh. Win, lose or screw I love playing Magic (well, maybe not screw).

D

DÛke

...just passing by...

I think it's hilarious, all of this. Very entertaining.

Gizmo, I think the reason why everyone seems to be on your case is because you already said what you had to say when you replied to Istanbul's article in the article page. Then you started this thread for...what...?

I think Istanbul does like to talk and hear the echo of his voice in an empty room, but so do you and you've only proved it with your unrelenting desire to have everyone see "the truth" that they don't want to see, or care to see, for that matter.

You're right, after all - this place is not serious at all - therefore you have no reason to be here if you are going to want some serious, thoughtful and thought-invoking discussions. Need I mention the post-9/11 drivel and nonsense that was posted when the plainest truth was rather simpler to see than ever before, and yet was overlooked altogether?...It proves the point.

I personally don’t mind this place and find it amusing every now and then, but other than that, it adds nothing to me any more, so…behold the solution: I stopped coming here as often. You’re doing the same, it seems, but when you comeback, it is as if you comeback to stir up some overly serious discussion, or the need thereof, not with civil manners, might I add, and then just slowly dwindle again.

The point being: even if you have a point (and I am no judge of your points as I don't care for Sligh, or Red), no one cares here, and if you don’t, it’s all the same. In conclusion, find another place that lives up to your expectations, as I hope you have better things to do than wasting your time trying to prove your points in a lighthearted atmosophere in which this game is only played lightheartedly.

G

Gizmo

In the end the CPA is so small and pointless nobody would notice what Isty says anyway - it's not like people passing by are going to stop in for the hottest red tech is it.

My original reply on the article wasn't aggressive in the slightest, it was a polite correction. Isty is the one who kicked it all off with his smug response to that correction. You come back at me like that you can expect me to fight back Wolverine-style.

-- Snikketty-Snikt --

Come get some!

D

DÛke

In the end the CPA is so small and pointless nobody would notice what Isty says anyway - it's not like people passing by are going to stop in for the hottest red tech is it.
Exactly, so why are you burning so bad because of an article which you believe to have no foundation in reality?...Let it slide. No one will convince a blind man that he is blind if the blind man did not himself believe he was blind.

The only reason why I thought your response was crude related mainly to the fact that your first response to the article was written under the handle "Gizmo (again)," which lead me to, perhaps mistakenly, believe that your first reply was deleted due to improper content.

However, if that was your first reply...and I also did read your second reply...I do agree that it was Istanbul who provoked with his "interesting but wrong" response, which I hope he doesn't regard as valid reasoning in itself.

My advice? Take your advice to someone who cares. No, seriously.

G

Gizmo

Yes that was my first reply. The Gizmo (again) thing was left on from the last post I made on an earlier article which had been revived and I forgot to change it when I made the post on this article. Didn't realise it until I saw my reply posted under that name.

Basically he just has personal issues that he can't keep to himself, leading to him reacting to me with personal abuse.

For those looking to keep score as to just how has been the knob here... it kinda went...

Isty: Article
Me: Polite Correction
Isty: Smug
Me: Detailed correction, challenge to prove me wrong.
Houts: Gizmo is right
Isty: Childish response.
Houts: Responds a bit to Isty's trolling.
Isty: Personal abuse.

And then there was THIS thread (which I started because I was tired of waiting days for article replies to appear), which began with...

Me: Detailed correction.
Isty: Personal abuse

Kids, eh.
:rolleyes:

Ferret

Staff member
We seem to have different definitions of "polite" here. I've seen nothing polite from your posts. You just sound like so many tourney players I've met that like to tell people (that couldn't care less) how much better they are because they can play a GAME better than them.

Let me ask you this: Did you get enough attention as a child (assuming you still aren't one)? Were you the kid that everyone beat up on - or, even worse, were you the bully? Right now you're trying to convince people that the only way to play a deck is the way the deck was originally created. You're trying to stunt the creative efforts of others just because it doesn't go w/ your narrow view of things. I'm not sure if you noticed, but WotC puts out 3-4 new sets every year while phasing out old ones. This means that players are encouraged (or, dare I say FORCED) to come up w/ new ways to create decks that win.

You are quite right that no one will come to this site looking for the latest "tech" or how to deal w/ the "metagame" or any of those other silly buzzwords that tourney players like using. However, there are lots of sites where your "wisdom" would be appreciated. Why not go there instead? Why come here and antagonize people that just enjoy playing the game? Does this give you some kind of rush doing this? Does it make you somehow feel like a better "man" by beating up on people that don't care about how people built decks 8 years ago? You're definitely not making any friends here...

-Ferret

"...and for the record: I have never been a fan of decks that try to win by turn four..."

G

Gizmo

More kids unable to keep from spouting personal abuse without foundation?

What has the CPA come to?
:rolleyes:

"In this day and age democracy refers to a governmental style where the wishes of the people are entirely disregarded and one family rules the country on an hereditary basis, all land nominally belonging to him and apportioned out to the people only as it so befits him to do so. "

There you go, whoever knew that fuedal Europe ruled by monarchies was democratic... and yet simply be redefining democracy we can prove that it WAS democratic in almost every way. Who knew it was so simple?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
Right now you're trying to convince people that the only way to play a deck is the way the deck was originally created.
That's actually not what I got. What I understand the whole argument is that Isty wrote an article about Sligh and Gizmo was saying that it's NOT Sligh, but a R/W? deck (well, something not Sligh). That's what this whole argument is about; whether a deck's label is correct, NOT how to play a deck.

G

Gizmo

Exactly, I didn't make comments on the effectiveness of his deck (I think I did just once, in fact, as a side point in this thread). If he wanted to be truly creative he'd come up with a new name for it - Drop Dead Red, Red To The Head... whatever you want to call it. Call it Susan I don't care... but don't call it Sligh because that name already has a meaning, and this deck flies in the face of the things that define Sligh decks as being different from just A. N. Other Red Deck. Sligh can be built a dozen different ways depending on the metagame you are building for, the card pool you are building with, and how shallow you curve it. But none of those ways comes within spitting distance of what Isty has there, because his deck is a flat out rejection of what Sligh means.

Except that Isty long ago dragged the whole thing away from his deck and into the realms of personal abuse, leaving me feeling the need to defend myself from what are basically just pathetic attempts at mudslinging to cover his own intellectual shortcomings.

G

Gizmo

He also sends me abusive Private Messages when he gets outwitted in public debate (which let's face it, is often).

He's made no attempt to defend himself, just to troll mindlessly. Ergo he know's he's wrong and likes causing trouble.

Case closed.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
He's made no attempt to defend himself, just to troll mindlessly. Ergo he know's he's wrong and likes causing trouble.

Case closed.
Istanbul did rebut your ridiculous statements--at first. He now seems determined to ignore you. Writing this, I wonder why I have not followed his example in this regard...

As far as who is wrong, I have already explained that sligh is an umbrella term. I am not going to beat a dead horse.

But when it comes to who likes causing trouble, you are the one that started this thread, so that's a pretty weak accusation.

Case closed? Oh? How so?

T

TheCasualOblivion

I VOTE FOR ISTANBUL

hell, gizmo, this is a casual forum/site. I give mad props to anyone who says something completely wrong about a classic tourney staple. I'd take it as a compliment personally.

As for being right or wrong, this is the "Casual Players Alliance" so here's a story or two.

I'm playing a game against a fairly inexperienced player. The local tourney jerk and a few others are watching us. My opponent plays a spell and says "oops I didn't want to do that" picks up the spell, puts it back in his hand, and plays something more to his benefit. The local tourney jerk says "you can't do that, you already played it and you have to live with it" I then tell that guy to get lost, and tell my opponent to go ahead and play the spell he wanted.

Another time I was playing against the aforementioned tourney jerk, and I played things a little out of sequence (I played a land before I drew a card for the turn, where I play, we all do that all the time). He starts giving me crap, so I pick up my cards and leave. I don't play against him anymore.

There is being right, being wrong, and having fun. Give a thought over which one is the most important around here.

***(added later after actually reading through this topic)
wow Gizmo is a jerk. I hadn't actually realized it until I actually read through this a bit. Calm down dude.