Single Card Deckbuilding Contest: Mark V

J

jorael

Does that trigger when you slide a creature with Astral Slide? If yes, that would be a good start :D

L

Limited

I don't think Astral Slides causes Overburden to trigger. Something about "returning to play" not being the same as "putting a card into play", but I am not sure..

Something with Warped Devotion and a lot of artifact mana?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Could play it with White and use Limited Resources to make sure you have the lands and your opponent doesn't.

To get around it yourself, use man-lands or artifacts that can "animate".

D

DarthFerret

Actually, jorael, it would "trigger" when a creature returns to play. That is the difference between "casting a summon spell" and "coming into play". If a "cast" spell is countered, it does not come into play, therefore does not trigger the Overburden. If a card is returned to play, it does "come into play" and triggers Overburden, but cannot be countered (although the spell that returned the card to play can be countered...heh heh). That is a pretty good thought you have so far...would love to see a deck based around that.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The problem with this card is in order for it to affect a player, he or she must play creatures. There are also combos involving an opponent receiving your creatures, but that doesn't seem likely to work all that well for deckbuilding purposes.

It is possible to build a deck using Overburden, and only caring about the creatures YOU play. But then we run into another problem. Its effect isn't all that important. Bouncing a land doesn't do much harm or much good, except in very extreme situations. I'm still not sure how to implement such a situation without great difficulty...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DarthFerret: Are you assuming your opponent is playing creatures or that's the experience most of the time? Or should the situation of your opponent playing a creature-less deck be covered?

D

DarthFerret

Well, if you are concerned with creaturless decks, could be combined with Mana Breach to get a higher effect. I am just curious to see what everyone else can come up with....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This is too fragile at the moment, but it's a fun idea...

4x Overburden
4x Mana Breach
4x Night's Whisper
4x Urborg Emissary
4x Hoodwink
4x Elvish Spirit Guide
4x Dark Ritual
4x Lotus Petal
4x Talisman of Dominance
4x Gilded Lotus
4x Thran Dynamo
4x Sol Ring
4x Grim Monolith
4x Chrome Mox
4x Strip Mine

J

jorael

Q: If I use Astral Slide to remove an opponent's creature from the game, and I have an Overburden out, does he need to return a land to his hand at end of turn? Does the 'return to play' play trigger as 'putting a nontoken creature into play'?

A: No, actually you will have to return a land to your hand. When Astral Slide's delayed triggered ability resolves, it instructs you to return the removed creature to play under its owner's control, so you are the one putting a creature into play even if it is not under your control. If Overburden is in play then its ability will trigger and when this ability resolves you will return a land that you control to its owner's hand.

Ouch!

So far my combo idea... Astral Slide + Overburden seems to be the worst bombo possible.

Anyone here asked this at StarCityGames? :p

D

DarthFerret

Good information there jorael. I did not think of it like that. So far, Oversoul, your deck loosk pretty good, I will take a little time later to look up the cards I dont recognize. What win conditions are you looking at here?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Right now its only win condition is swinging with Urborg Emissary. I tested it and it definitely needs a better win condition. I'm still not sure what that would be at the moment. Maybe Black Vise or something. Also, I need to make the manabase a bit more stable...

J

jorael

Some other idea I like to verify:

With Nature's Revolt in play, does putting a land into play trigger Overburden?

That would mean that you stop all land development with these 2 enchantments in play. After that, just bounch all creatures an opponent has (including the now animated lands) to obtain total control :D

From StarCityGames:

Q: I have made this combo, but I don't know if it works. The combo is Aether Flash and Nature's Revolt: The problem is, I don't know what takes place first. So my question is, does the land turn into a creature and then take the damage, or does the damage take place before the land turns into a creature? Or am I the one who decides what happens first?

A: Continuous effects affect permanents as they come into play, then don't come into play as just lands and then get turned into land/creatures (418.2). With Nature's Revolt in play, lands come into play as 2/2 creatures and get whacked by the Aether Flash.

Hmm... Looks to me that Overburden would also trigger.

Nasty!

D

DarthFerret

I would have to agree. if there is a continuous effect making lands into creatures, then that would have to mean that they are creatures when put into play. Therefore, since Overburden definately states "put into play" instead of summoned or cast, it would trigger the effect.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hmm...

Nature's Revolt and Overburden. An interesting combo. It could certainly establish board control for a deck once it hits, as long as the rest of the deck is built around it properly. I wonder if Sunder would work well here...

J

jorael

Playing Sunder with the 2 enchantments in play is really nasty. If you are the only one with a creature out, that could win you the game. If not, casting Sunder isn't recommended.

Revolting Development U/G
13 Forest
11 Islands

4 Overburden
4 Nature's Revolt
4 Crystal Shard
4 Capsize
4 Chrome Mox

4 Man-'O-War
4 Sakura-tribe Elder
4 Waterfront Bouncer
4 Eternal Witness
This is the first thing what I could think of (without Sunder). It has some early mana development and enough bounce to clear the board. Capsize is nasty with the combo in play. The only thing that worries me is that when you play Nature's Revolt you are mostly tapped out, while an opponent can now attack with all his/her lands. Moment's Peace may be a good inclusion for that and against aggro decks in general.

Reap and Sow also looks nice: develop your own mana while destroying an opponents land...

D

DarthFerret

Looks pretty good there.....might I suggest something? Mana Short. It would help you be less venerable when playing natures revolt. as well as slowing your opponent down until you get your combos working.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think that when I said Sunder, I meant Evacuation. Sunder might work, but I'm more evil than that... :D

D

DarthFerret

That suggestion makes a heck of a lot more sense to me.