Shiny Cards!!!

T

Thrash Golem

Does anyone here ever notice how people with the foil ports and avatars love Foils, but the people stuck with 3 plains and a mogg toadie hate foils?

Like some people hate rich people.. but rich people don't. They only hate them cuz they're jealous.

Foils are an aspect of magic that appeals to the collector. You can collect entire foil sets.

If you hate foils so much, what would you rather have?

a) tangle wire
b) foil tangle wire
c) no tangle wires

if you answered a), you're a stubborn person who's too stuck on pride to want a foil card.

if you answered b) you're a normal magic collector and like more valuable cards.

if you answered c) you either have 16 tangle wires, hate them, or don't play magic.

A

Almindhra

They're shiny...And they're worth more...Come on, if you saw someone with an all foiled deck, you would think they were hot sh**...I have a lot of foiled cards...My bf trades them off of his cousin and our friend who will do anything for a dumb white card with a high casting cost...

E

Elrond

I agree with the Emperor, it's not like you're getting cheated when you get a foil version of a card. I also agree with the idea that they make good trade fodder, one of my friends got four Sylvan Libraries and a couple of other cards for two foil uncommons.

D

dw51688

Emperor, you bring sense to everything. You bring a new vision to everything.

C

Cateran Emperor

Thanks everyone, but bringing sense to things is just what I'm good at. This from someone whose favorite color is Red, and is going into politics :D

C

Cateran Emperor

That's also a backup plan of mine dw. I'll need something to pay the bills before I try to run for anything. I'm just good at arguing things :D

Secondary backup plan: get a high paying job high level corporate job and play games all day after giving out some obvious orders ;)

T

theorgg

I'll quote Meatloaf on this one:
What about your future?

It's Defective
YOU CAN SHOVE IT UP YOUR AAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
I want my money back!

I still don't like foils. I've gotten very few other than the "souvineers" of the pre-releses, so I consider myself lucky. Foils give me a headache. the only foil that didn't give me a headache when I played with it was a Rystic Elephant... Dark colours on foil=no headache for me.

Any other foils=BAD headache...

I STILL hate foil. I hate 'em even more now that I cain't trade 'em for things anymore.

As for the tanglewire question, I have one thing to say:

If I had to choose between a foil tanglewire and a normal one, I'd prefer the normal.
between a foil and nothing(if I was going to be playing it and hopefully seeing it in my hand/play) I'd prefer nothing.
the headaches I get are THAT bad.

by the way, DUNE, where are the Beefcakes and Bonesmashers?
:)
still havn't gotten 'em.

C

Cateran Emperor

Headache? How do you get a headache from foils? The glare or some such thing?

N

Namielus

Foils are worst that normal cards, cause you don't want to play with them in a deck, with foils having 'higher value' that normal cards you don't really want to abuse them like you do with all your normal cards. Also foils don't have the same taste as normal cards (yes I just ate a foil island and a normal island to prove it), the foil indeed looked better, but it lacked the extra flavor that I've grown acustomed to in my magic cards. :p

D

Duel

foils are like normal cards, but harder to read, and if you leave them out overnight, they curl up.....

Most cards take a few weeks to do that...

L

Lythand

To me a foil is just another card to play with..they are nice..but no value to me..I ussualy trade thenm to friends for the same value as the originals

U

Ura

I personally don't like foils all that much, but I've never been much for the "collectors" side of the game. To me its just another card. The only ones I have are pre-release things and alterante art ones. Though some can at least be humorous.
Imagine a deck with:
4 Blinding Angel
4 Wall of Glare
4 Foil
and other cards of the like. That would be funny in all foil.

Otherwise the only reason I don't like them is because of an article in either Inquest or Scrye that was an interview with one of the heads at WotC, and the guy from WotC said that they would NEVER put "foil, chase, ultra-rare, refractor, and the like" style cards in magic. I remember the word FOIL specifically.

*shrugs*
I'm just picky about promises though.

C

Cateran Emperor

I've seen the card curling thing, but I've never had any problem reading foils when compared to nonfoils.

The Blinding foil deck hmm? I like it! To be more annoying, only play the deck outside or near a big window on a sunny day :D

N

NeuroDeus

I hate foils, but they are good to change for something good with foil hungry persons :).

H

Hetemti

Hey, if you don't want your foils anymore, give me an email of what you want to get rid of. I'll trade to you a normal card, 1 to 1 . :)

G

Gerode

Couldn't help but notice this post! (See nickname)

Foils only take up space in my (small :( ) trade binder. No one I know collects them, but I'm too afraid to put them in my decks in case I ever do come across someone who wants to take them off my hands. I do know friends who have gotten some nice hauls off of trading foils. At the JSS qualifier, my friend was able to trade his Foil Thran Quarry doorprize for _9_ good T2 rares :p
I should get on eBay or something and sell some of mine.

G

Gerode

<eyes sageridder's shiny trust jewel>

I've seen someone with a deck that had all foil lands. I'm not sure if he ever played it.

L

Lythand

I played Lee Steht at a tourney in Orlando..ACC blue he was playing..I think his deck was all foil...Anyways I too am afraid of playing foil cards in a deck. I had to buy 2 Tangle wires to use because 2 of the ones I had where foils and I hate using Proxies.