Shards of Alara Previews

E

EricBess

Actually, I think the point is for it to be much more...It compounds, so the more of these guys you get into play, the more that one big bruser is. Any white guys with Trample, or do we need to splash green for that 1/1 elf with trample?

M

mythosx

Yeah. Its like a neo-errantry/banding. I know they did not like banding as it is. This seems like a distorted version of it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh? I don't think this has anything to do with banding... they tried re-doing banding with the en-Kor creatures from Tempest...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
It's a great multiplayer card. A pity it isn't legendary, it'd make a great EDH general. But I must say colored artifacts are very, very lame. IMHO, of course. Colorlessness (heh) is what defines an artifact to me.

M

mythosx

I agree. Artifacts are the items that everyone can use. If you make it an artifact with colored casting it might as well be that item. I believe the reason for the shift is that they want the type of card to mean something now. Artifacts are things, enchantments feel like add ons and so on and so forth.

E

EricBess

There seems to be a lot of "begging the question" going on with this set. I think it's a pretty interesting model of designing 5 "mini-sets" and then wrapping them into one, but I think their explainations are a bit contrived, or at the very least, irrelevant.

For example, defining the worlds by "what they are not". So, for example, the Black world with Blue and Red doesn't have White or Green, the two colors of life, so th Black world is all about death and destruction. Wow, that's so much more interesting than just plain Black, which is about...death and destruction.

And the blue world...rules by wizards, that's simply ingenious. So original. I agree about the artifact thing, BTW...But I think their model of only 3 colors per world sort of did in typical artifacts, so if one of the groups realized that and felt that they could do something interesting with artifacts, then why not. That might end up being a pretty decent idea for the set. I'm just bothered by the flavor issues. Particularly when you have a "Artifact Creature - Human Wizard".

The other thing that has me wondering a bit is that each "world" was sort of built in a vacuum, but were the worlds built to have tension within itself? I get the impression that it's more like Ravinica, where each world was built to be a team against the other worlds. I'm just wondering how things work out if you don't have a foundation of conflict specifically within keywords. You could very easily end up with some balance issues, not based on power-level, but based on matchup. How do you insure a RPS environment between the 5 worlds?

It will probably be an interesting set based on an unusual experiement. We'll see.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
You made me laugh out loud. You should write an official set preview. Heh. In all seriousness, a pretty solid analysis.

It makes more sense now to me btw: UWB world has no life, so you get artifact creatures that are color-aligned. Still, I'm not exactly thrilled.

M

mythosx

Eric makes a good solid point about the colors. In magic there are 5 colors. You can make sets that focus on 1 color making 5 sets of cards, or 2 colors that focus on 10 sets of cards. If you make it 3 colors its still 10 sets as you would be the negative of the 2 colors. 4 colors would make it the same as focusing on 1 color. They have to go beyond the contrived grouping of colors at this point and perhaps focus more on flavor. I would prefer to see them make sets focused on the story rather trying to wrap a story around the technical stuff.

M

mythosx

not so good. I am not sure what the point of the card is. If I was really losing a game. I don't want 20 more life and 7 new cards. Chances are I am going to keep losing said game. Every time I have tried to jump into the middle of an established game I have been the chum...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Well said. The card could be crap. It's a lot worse than I thought it was. Sure, 7 cards and 20 life is a nice starting point, but it doesn't save you from that 20+ power of goblins on the opponent's side of the table.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the only way I could see this working is in Vintage with fast mana and all, so you can put out one land and 0 cc mana artifact(s) and casting Balance or Pernicious Deed or something else to even out the playing field...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Still on the subject of the Lich's Mirror: I think it can be a very annoying foil in a vintage combo deck against burn/weenie decks. Imagine you're playing burn. You're goal is to kill your opponent by a certain turn or else your clock runs out and you're out of resources. You're a turn away from victory and your opponent gives himself another 4-5 turns against you thanks to this card.

It obviously won't win you the game, but it can and probably will be just enough to give you more turns to get your combo off.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Is Wild Nacatl and example of the 3 color theme of this set?
Forest, MT and Plains...... I always did like 3 color decks.....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shabbaman said:
Sure, 7 cards and 20 life is a nice starting point, but it doesn't save you from that 20+ power of goblins on the opponent's side of the table.
It should. Seven cards is a lot.