Scourge Pre-release

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

No he didn't have any finals this week so I believe he left for Oregon Tuesday.

E

EricBess

He didn't show up in Oregon for the prerelease, either. Russel Sherman (aka Duel) was there, back from college for the break, and he and Dave (Zadok) are good friends. I didn't think to ask him if he knew what Zadok was up to.

Oh, and we didn't swap much, either. We ran 7 flights and I think 3 of them swapped. We saved a lot of time by not swapping, but by swapping occasionally, it helped keep people honest.

Plus, when top prize is half box, which is what we gave for 5-round flights, there's not a lot of incentive to cheat. Just have fun and move on ;)

N

Nightstalkers

A HALF OF A BOX!@#$@#%

I'd shove a pick-and-chew right up where the sun don' shine if I was ever jiffed my $20 for that kind of crap!

Do these shop owners think that they can save money now that Magic is becoming alittle scarce? I think not!

T

train

Actually - I'm trying to talk the shop owner here into running PTQs... He has to divvy up for those...

He also said he'd pay mileage for me to test... and any testing fees - though there aren't any I know of... but he may also pay my yearly fee... if it still exists...

"Certified... If only I were certified..."

E

EricBess

Well, it has nothing to do with the shop owner, Nightstalkers. We used to give a full box, but we can only do that if we play at least 6 round events. We've had people complain that the events run too long, so we cut back to 5 rounds. It's just not possible to give a full box to one out of every 32 people. We don't have that kind of prize support unless no one else gets much of anything.

Plus, the winner of the third round of every flight received a booster pack that was not taken from the prize support provided by WotC. The ownder of the shop was providing that himself.

Trust me, the players that typically go undefeated will come and play regardless and they will get their packs somewhere regardless. The players who aren't as good really don't mind that top prize is half a box instead of a full box. 4-1 gets 12 packs, which makes a lot of people happy.

Oh, one last thing Nightstalkers. Magic being scarse? Shop owners get nothing from players who already have all of the cards they want. They have to sell something... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, our 32 man tourneys only had 4 flights, with 4-0 getting 16 packs and 3-1 getting 9? 12? somewhere in there packs (maybe Azreal remembers better...)

2-1-1 got 2 packs :)

E

EricBess

Standard prize support is 2.5 packs per player. So, with 32 players, a typical prize support should be a total of 80 packs.

In a 4-round, 32 man tournament, you can expect 2 people to go 4-0 and 8 people to go 3-1. Note that this is discounting draws. If the prize structure is done properly, draws don't matter.

Two people getting 16 packs and 8 people getting 9 packs is a total of 104 packs given as prize support. Your TO is supplementing up to 20% of the prize support. That's probably the same ratio of what our TO supplements assuming there are not additional incentives (like our 3-rd round challenge round and the extra pack for entering a second+ flight).

If he is going 12 for 3-1, then that number is 128, which is a very high ratio that he is supplementing. I would be surprised if that were the case.

Personally, I would always keep the packs an even number. For example, I might give 10 or 8 for 3-1, but not 9. And 2 for 2-1-1 is really bad if 3-1 gets 9. If 3-1 gets 8, 2-1-1 should get 4. Always.

The one thing you don't want to do ever is encourage collusion. For example, say you have 2 players, both with a 2-1 record. One will finish 3-1 and get 9 packs. The other will finish 2-2 and get no packs. If they draw, they get 2 packs each.

So, what if they are friends and want to ID? Or what if the game really does come down to a draw? They are likely instead to declare one of them the winner and take 4 packs apiece instead of 2 (maybe play for the extra pack with 9). IMO, they should always be allowed to legally draw and still get as many packs between them as they would if they play it out. It's much cleaner that way.

Anyway, we did 64 man flights of 5 rounds with 5-0 receiving 18, 4-1 receiving 12, and 3-2 receiving 2, with the draws exactly in the middle. The expectation is 2, 10, and 20 respectively receiving those amounts for a total prize of 196, which is just under the 100 per 32 players that your TO is giving out.

If you don't give anything to the 3-2's, then you can give a box to the undefeateds, but we've found that in the prerelease, a winning record really should get something.

T

train

in the prerelease, a winning record really should get something.
Darn tootin'!!!...

Hey EricBess... could you uh... swing down to San Angelo to test me for Level 1... Honestly - If I didn't pass it I'd be surprised... maybe even suicidal... but I need to be tested!...

I get a 20% shop discount just for judging... :cool:

"Just wait 'til I'm certified...":eek: :D :cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Aww, I get a 10% discount for judging... I'm not even certified and got more sense in the rulin's than the local high level judges around here!

thats just not right...

E

EricBess

Originally posted by train
Darn tootin'!!!...

Hey EricBess... could you uh... swing down to San Angelo to test me for Level 1... Honestly - If I didn't pass it I'd be surprised... maybe even suicidal... but I need to be tested!...

I get a 20% shop discount just for judging... :cool:

"Just wait 'til I'm certified...":eek: :D :cool:
Sure, just get me a couple plane tickets for some weekend. I'm sure you're wife wouldn't mind putting me up on the couch for a couple of days and feeding me...Make sure there is a large enough event going on that I could observe you running something (technically, 2 tourneys) and answering questions.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure of the prize structure in the middle. And maybe 2-1-1 did get 4 packs... but I know at the Legions pre-release, I think I got three packs and I intentionally drew the last round with my opponent so we both went 2-1-1, so I think 3-1 was 6 packs. Or 8 (if I ended up with 4 packs 'cause we just split it).

W

whuppinboy

sorry to hijack but has anyone heard when they're going to release Scourge online? i thought i saw a blip that it would go on sale on Memorial Day??? can't find anything about it now :(

Ferret

Staff member
From what I've been reading in the rumour mill, it looks like it could be as much as four weeks after the actual paper release - mostly to maximize paper sales of the cards. I hope they're wrong because I refuse to buy any more cards (online or cardboard) before I can get my mitts on some digital versions...

-Ferret

"I wonder what will happen to my 7th Ed cards when 8th is released..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I refuse to buy any more cards (online or cardboard) before I can get my mitts on some digital versions
Digital versions of Scourge? 'Cause otherwise it doesn't make sense... :confused:

I

Istanbul

In the past, all MTGO sets have been released about one month after their paper counterpart.

Expect Scourge to come out on the 4th of July.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Istanbul
In the past, all MTGO sets have been released about one month after their paper counterpart.

Expect Scourge to come out on the 4th of July.
That's like six weeks! I am not amused...I want it NOW!

-Ferret

"It's not wrong to be impatient, is it?"

T

train

"It's not wrong to be impatient, is it?"
No... it's wrong to be treated differently than cardboard players just because you're now addicted to digital pics!!!...

N

Nightstalkers

At least WotC has the foresight to have backups of all of the accounts on MTGO. Hackers would have a hayday with the thing...

O

orgg

So... Who's going to do a Pre Relese Report? I know someone out there wants to... I would've, If I would've went...

It might take over a year, but I'd of done it.

As a matter of fact, the Latest.Tournament.Report.Ever. should be coming up in the next two months.

Torment/Judgement PR Reports.

:D

And what I hope is a new record. The latest one I know of is a year-late MTG Invitational report.