Scourge Pre-release

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone planning on going? Specifically in Maryland? (probably just Azreal but you never know...)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Yeah I'll be there, Zadok was talking about going, but he might be back in Oregon as classes end the 13th, but he might have finals so there is always a chance.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I'm still working to see if I can make it, it's right around my birthday so I'm hoping I can.... :)

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Azreal the Soulmaster
Yeah I'll be there, Zadok was talking about going, but he might be back in Oregon as classes end the 13th, but he might have finals so there is always a chance.
Well, if Zadok is back in Oregon, we'll be ready for him at Portland. We're going to do some really exciting stuff this prerelease. For example, the third round of each flight will be a "challenge" round. Even if you haven't won a game yet, if you win the third match, you will receive 1 booster.

And, you get a booster for each flight you play in after the first.

All this without significantly impacting the rest of the prize structure.

Ferret

Staff member
I'd have to check my schedule. I sometimes get weekends off - actually, I only HAVE TO work one weekend a month, but the OT is making it worth it...

-Ferret

"massive changes require massive finances"

O

orgg

Ferret:

I know you live in Florida-- are you close to Winter Park?

If my Full Sail schedual lines up with a break on that weekend, I may have the actual time to play... but I'd need a ride.

Ferret

Staff member
Actually, I'm not sure where it is in all honesty...I'm not sure if I'll go though...I'll probably just buy a few boosters for MTGO instead...

-Ferret

"Heaven knows I want to, though..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I ended up going at the last minute, so I wasn't able to tell you Azreal. And I still don't know what you really look like so I couldn't really look for you there. :(

I got there abiut 8:30 and got in the "blue" 32 person tourney. I didn't do too well this time; went 1-2 so I dropped 'cause I could use the extra hour at home. I went green/black after initially thinking to go green/white, and now I'm thinking I should have gone white/black. Green had the fatties, black had the best playable removal (I thought), and white had the flyers. None of my cards were really game-breaking, I think. I'll post the cards and deck in the Deck section, but here's a rough report:

Round 1: Played a guy with almost the same deck, green/black. Except he had Soulcatcher/gorger? the Pre-release card, which netted him a Treetop Scout one game :) and he had two Lingering Deaths whereas I had one. I went 2-1 with him, with my fatties breaking through after my removal spells of Cruel Revival and Lingering Death.

Round 2: Played a green/blue/black deck which got out Day of the Dragon the first game :eek: and won and had a timely Mage's Guile the second, which kept my Cruel Revival from targeting a blocker so I could get through and finish him off the second game. That one was pretty close though. 0-2.

Round 3: Played a white/red deck that was extremely fast. Won the first game due to me having slightly better creatures on the board after a combat where I sacced most to my Carrion Feeder to kill his Ageless Sentinels which were pumped up do to that Goblin guy that lets you sac Gobbies for +1/+1. He also sacced 2 mountains for a morph cost and then was mana-screwed at 2 lands. Lost the next two games due to flyers and we just tried to race each other.

Like I said, I didn't have really any game-breaking spells from Scourge (or Onslaught) but I saw a couple of interesting ones like Day of the Dragon. Never saw any of the cards that were previewed from the Scourge thread except Krosan Drover from the first round :)

W

whuppinboy

dang Spidey, sounds like it was fun. they had a pre-release here in Richmond at the Convention Center but i was working :( and the worst part is, where i work is only 10 minutes from the Convention Center :mad:

ahhhhhhhhh! at least you got the only vampire in the Onslaught block :)

I

Istanbul

I managed to maintain my record of, despite my best efforts, never attending a pre-release.

Ah well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
whuppinboy: I didn't get any vampires from Onslaught... I don't think :confused:

Isty: Maybe you're trying too hard... ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You mean the Soul Collector? Yeah, but I couldn't use him since it was the pre-release card... my round 1 opponent was fortunate enough to get another one in his packs... :(

T

Troll

I went to the Pre-release in NC and went 3-1 and won 6 packs. I also managed to pull the Vampire in one of my packs so he was in my deck. He kicks mucho ass. I ended up playing B/G along with half the ppl there. Most of the decks I saw were B/G. My rares weren't worth mentioning except the Vampire.

The main thing I wanted out of the set were Dragons. I opened and regestered 3 packs, we traded and made our decks, and I won 6 packs and guess how many Dragons I got...not a single damn one!!!:mad: !!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That was a weird thing this time; the 32 person tourneys didn't have to register our cards. It saved an hour which was good and I guess the organizers weren't that concerned about cheating for such a small tourney-type setting...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I loved that part Spidey, The main event didn't register decks either. I ended up playing Green White, the cards told me to do so:D. In my Onslaught starter I got an exalted angel(mmmm bomb), my scourge packs contained: ancient ooze, root elemental, and a foil decree of justice. I would've been in the packs had my first opponent not topdecked accelerated mutation to kill me both games.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Really? The main event too? That would seem surprising...

We gotta hook up next time. Did Zadok come?