Saviors of Kamigawa Preview

Y

YoungBeard

Limited said:
@Youngbeard: I like the idea of Words of .. with Enduring Ideal. I'm just wondering if EI/Genju could be a Standard deck. White prevent deck with green mana accel, ended with an epic EI for Genju of the Realms?
Maybe... I don't know if the Genju are good enough though. EI's expensive like Tooth & Nail but seems less powerful. My impression is that T&N is so good because it can pull out something overwhelmingly powerful, like Darksteel Colossus + Kikki Jiki (and attack for 11 the same turn)... And you can still cast other spells next turn, too. Somehow the Genju don't make quite the same impact, IMO. Not that I play a lot of tournament-level Standard, so maybe you are on to something here.

F

Force of Will Smith

7 may be a lot of mana, but there's nothing stopping the others from costing less.. lets say that the green version is similar to the white version...

the academy rector to your defense of the heart..

if it were 5GG to tutor for 2 creatures into play each turn.. that might be well worth it..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I'm not falling for the Dragonstorm thing again. For all we know, one of these Epic spells will be as good as Mind's Desire. It seems unlikely, but I'm still going to reserve my judgment until I've seen them all...

It would be hilarious if the blue one is broken, and so soon after the whole announcement about weakening blue...

J

jorael

Long Forgotten Gohei just got better. I like this card.

I wonder if it is tournament constructed material, but the additional requirement doesn't seem too hard.

F

Force of Will Smith

Wow.. bunrei looks kickass!.. almost constructed play

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I sense synergy with Enduring Ideal here...is Planar Collapse still around? ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Note that the creatures produced by the Promise of Bunrei are Spirits... that means that if you want to play a deck based on sacrifice, you can use cards like Devouring Greed. In fact, Devouring Greed + Promise of Bunrei is a two card 20 point life swing!
If I still bought cards, I would totally try this out in a casual deck...

N

Nightstalkers

Stupid question about Bunrei = If a token goes to the graveyard, it hits and is removed... right?

C

Crackdown

Am I missing something? That wouldn't be out of the ordinary of course, but it looks as if the entire "wisdom" mechanic is detrimental to the WW archtype in a way that will probably kill it off during the cycle.

WW has small powered, fast creatures that almost necessitate emptying out a hand quickly. It's best card drawing engine is the ... Mask of Memory. :) Oh my, and with this we are supposed to compete with the control decks and MBC discard decks?

WW is the most popular archtype played at FNM across the country, according to reports. It's also the one embraced by young players first going to FNM as they have a competitive deck on a budget. Now, they're going to find themselves completely hosed by the Saviors new mechanic. That's certainly going to be a pleasant initial experience.

Seriously, why would Wizards do this to an archtype that has been around since the beginning of Magic?

I really don't believe that they meant for such an effect, so where is the place for WW after Saviors' new mechanic?

J

jorael

I liked Mirrodin-block, but Kamigawa-block is way more fun, if you ask me. Champions and Betrayers were very nice and Saviors looks cool.

I like it how the Wisdom mechanic interacts with most of the other mechanics in the block.

F

Force of Will Smith

?!?!?!?! Thoughts of ruin is insane!! again with infernal tribute you destroy all lands and theres no drawback... and the first to suffer?? could be a black wrath for 3BBB

saviors is looking to be huge... i have a feeling snakes are going to be sick... and oh yes... i WILL play epic spells :)