Rules and Player stats for future RPG's: Input and sugestions, please...

R

Rando

OK, just mulling over some ideas for characters to all be equal. This is all for descriptive purposes, mostly, of the characters, and can help for comparisons to each other and the things and people you would meet.

Basic Personal Stats:
You have 9 points to divide up between 3 Basic Personal Statistics, with 3 being and average score, and no score being over 5. Other factors may increase these scores later.

These statistics will determine how good you are with any skills that are tied to that statistic.

The three statistics are:
Physical
Mental
Magical

Races
There are 5 races, Dwarf, Elf, Human, Gnome and Ogre. Each race affects the scores in your basic statistics, and some give bonus skills.

Dwarf -1 Magical, +1 Physical, Auto skill of Mountain Lore.
Elf -1 Physical, +1 Magical, Auto-skill of Forest Lore
Gnome -1 Physical, +1 Mental, Auto skill of Engeniering
Ogre -2 Mental, +2 Physical
Human -1 to your choice, +1 to your choice.

Dwarfs - 4 feet high, dour and serious sort.
Elf -Tall and gracefull, care-free and aloof.
Gnome - 2 1/2 feet tall, Tinkerers and Smiths.
Ogre - 7 or 8 feet tall, ugly and mean. Not too bright.
Human - Average Joe Schmo of the fantasy world. Least problems adjusting.

Toughness
This is how much Damage you can take before dieing. Your Toughness score is your Physical stat, plus the following:
Dwarf - 6
Elf - 5
Gnome - 4
Ogre - 8
Human - 5

Skills
You have 5 points to spend on skills. You may spent more then one point on a skill. The total profeciancy you have in a skill is the base stat tied to that skill, plus the number of skill points you spent on it. Humans get 6 points instead of 5.

Skills

Mental Skills
Lore (specific geographic area)
Tracking (only in areas you have the lore skill)
Hiding
Engeniering (covers working with anything mechanical)
History
Telepathy (must have score of 5 or higher)
Telekinisis (must have score of 5 or higher)

Physical Skills
Small Weapons (knives, sling, club, staff)
Medium Weapons (swords, axes, spears) (must have stat of 3)
Missle Weapons (longbow, crossbow) (Ogres not allowed)
Large Weapons (two-handed swords and axes, pole-arms)(must have stat of 5)
Endurance (Elves not allowed)
Acrobatics (Dwarfs and Ogres not allowed) (must have score of 4)
Climbing
Swimming
Stealth

Magical Skills
(must have a score of at least 4 to have any magical skills)
Fire Magic
Water Magic
Earth Magic
Air Magic
Healing
Auditory Illusion

(the following require a score of at least 5)
Visual Illusion
Necromancy
Divination

So...lets say I got a guy named Biff, and he'll be an Ogre.

First, I'll split up his points for the basic stats

Pysical 5
Mental 4
Magical 0

Next, I'll adjust for race..

Physical 7
Mental 2
Magical 0

Next, I'll spend points on skills.
I'll take...
Medium Weapons 2
Large Weapons 2
Forest Lore 1

When added with the Base stats, Biff looks like this...

Biff the Ogre
Physical 7
Mental 2
Magical 0
Large Weapons 9
Medium Weapons 9
Forest Lore 4
Toughness 15

I don't know, just throwing ideas around. Got any of your own?

E

EricBess

Well, to be honest, I don't think it will matter. The #1 important thing in the role playing is that everyone needs to be responsible for their own character taking a part. Were people complaining that their characters weren't powerful enough? Or that other characters were too powerful?

When I was playing Galdan, I intentionally made him quiet, reserved, and thoughtful, but with very little actual magic. Most of what he did was simple cantrip effects, but they were effective because of how he used them. I personally like characters to be a little less powerful, but with a good solid perception of what their strengths or weaknesses are. I don't mind having to set down stats, but I like the flexibility of choosing skills (sort of) on the fly that apply to the character.

Perhaps what would be better is to have each player have to submit a brief history of their character. This would give you the chance to veto certain things (Yomar met with the Gods when he was 7 and the imbued him with super tough skin, which allowed him to wade through the lava fields to defeat the Megadragon Biff), while still keeping things flexible.

BTW, are we going to continue the adventure we have now or are we going to abandon it for something else? My personal vote is that we regroup and continue.

S

sageridder

To be honest I feel that kind of structure to be a bit too stringent.I feel for 95% of what I have participated in you kept it well balanced.To be stuck with mear humaniod character might be too much for me to bear.(J/K):p you can always count on my steel and spell.I think any action should be stated as "I try to" and the gm is god you tell what happened.If people can play by the rules that we have set forth, wow (thinks about it all the way back to mtgnews) a year and a half ago maybe two It'll all come out in the wash. I do have an idea for charter balance tho why not do it like sealed deck?Make a question form for the players.Race,gender,weapons,skills,magics,equiptment,where from,training,goals,ect add or subtract what you like but you get the idea.Have all players turn this in and then roll the dice,some might get thiers back many would not, no more overpowered characters.

P

Prince RXI

you forgot Animal Friend.

Oh, and what about classes?

Druid
Warrior
Paladin
Wizard
Ranger
Illusionist
Thief
And so on...

We need those in too.

Prince RXI, wishes rpging was a little less complicated

R

rkoelsch

I will go with whatever you prefer. You have the hardest job. If it would make it easier to have this kind of structure go for it. I think you are just letting the last RPG get to you. It was a difficult situation. I think everyone was doing okay but it was very difficult to decide what to do.

D

Daggertooth

I feel that it is a bit restrictive.

You've been handling it superbly. I'd say keep the same structure as we have going.

Daggertooth

B

Bob

Bob (Human)
Physical:2+1=3
Mental:3-1=2
Magical:4

Physical skills:
Medium Weapons:2
Missle Weapons:1

Mental Skills:
History:2
Engineering:1

Magical Skills:
Healing:3
(Bob also has strange luck that has been both bad and good. He is saved most of the time, but most of his friends die.)

Toughness: 8

Bob is a human from the city of Cyraria, where he was born in the Middle City. He learned his healing powers from clerics at the hidden temples. The temples had to be hidden becuase of the strict laws of Cyraria forbade any worshipping of gods that the Cyrarian nobles did not approve, which was most of them.
When he was 8, the nobles found the temple, and sent in the army. Bob hid while the soldiers slaughtered his parents, his sister, and his friends. He couldn't find his older brother's body, he thought he must have been made a slave. Bob ran from the Middle City to the Slums, where there was tons of crime, and other churches, but not good ones. Evil cults to dark gods, and lots of nasty ogre thugs. Once he was cpatured by a cult member and was about to be sacrificed when he was saved by an elven hero, who brought him to the Elven city, which was free of the Cyrarian Nobles. There he learned to use swords and some spears. He was even given a fine elven blade. He made a friend with another elf and when he was 14 he was sent on a mission to free some elves who were made slaves in the Cyrarian Highlands. They were captured by the Soldiers, and sent to a noble to ask if they should be executed or put in a dungeon. he saw the noble was his BROTHER. His brother sort of recognized him, but the elves accompanying him had killed some citizens, so he spared Bob by throwing him in the dungeon. The elves were publicly hung. (Oh, and the elvish slaves were not rescued)

While in the dungeon, Bob met a gnomish thief who was also a prisoner. He taught Bob some basic mechanical skills. They tried to escape, but each plan was foiled. The gnomish thief promised to take Bob to the city of gnomes when they escaped. One month later, an ogrish barbarian was captured. He was also chained, but he was strong enough to rip the chains out of the stone wall. He also helped Bob and the gnomish thief escape from the dungeon. On the way out, Bob noticed the hall of weapons, and he saw a brilliant sunblade. The Ogre kicked down to wall and Bob took the magical sword, but they were soon surrounded by soldiers. Bob killed a few with his new sword and the ogre smashed a dozen to pieces, but the gnome's pickaxe was little defense againt the longswords of the soldiers, and Bob tried to help him, but the their was impaled though the stomach. He died instantly. The death of one of the ogre's first friends sent him into a rage that killed half the army before he was subdued and sent to be executed. The ogre didnt want Bob trying to save him. He wanted someone to escape, and he knew it was hopeless for him anyway. The ogre was beheaded.

Bob took the gnome's body from the Highlands and decided to bring it to the Gnomish city, which was near the mountains. He saw the gnome had a bit of money, and bought a horse to ride to the gnomish city. When he reached it, he showed the gnomes the body of the thief, who had happened to be named Fidd. Fidd's family turned out to be a wealthy family, who were grateful to at least have their son's body. They paid Bob a lot of money, and Bob stayed until he was 20, and he went looking for the elvish city when he was attacked by goblin bandits, who killed his horse(another friend dead!), but they were killed by Bob's blade. Bob then found a cave which turned out to be a dwarven city. He lived there with the dwarves for a while, when he was found by elvish scouts who were at war with the dwarves. Bob tried to get both sides to have peace, but they wouldnt listen. Dwarves slashed elves, elves stabbed dwarves, elves shot dwarves, dwarves blew up elves, with Bob acting as a double agent between the two. He was charged with treason by both sides, but rescued by his old elvish friend. After all the casualties, the dwarves and elves had peace. (They do that all the time) Bob lived with both sides, until the elves told him of the newly formed Adventurer's Guild, where people of all races become heroes and throw great parties. Bob joined, along with some great heroes from all races. When Bob was in his early thirties, They become rebels against the Cyrarian nobles, and one member, a wizard, tried to unleash a plague in the upper city, but it only created a giant mushroom growing out of the top of the capitol. Fortunatley, it was an evil mushroom, and it attacked the city. The head noble Jrassk had amazing magic, and destroyed the mushroom. Bob's brother was the head of justice and vengeace, and he sent the army to look for who did this. he went along, riding a horse as he searched the area for the enemy. The idea of a giant mushroom seemed like a druid's work, so he went towards the elven city, near the Adventurer's guild. The Adventurers helped the elf army fight off the Cyrarian soldiers, and Bob saw his brother in the back. he took a crossbow from a nearby elf and shot his brother, His brother fell off his horse, he had only been shot in the shoulder. He spotted Bob holding a crossbow and remembered him, and grabbed his axe and leaped at Bob, who fought back with his sword. The fact that his brother was wounded, and that Bob's sword was magical, and that he has been taught by elves made Bob have the adge in the battle and he managed to stab his brother and kill him. At the sight of their fallen leader, the Cyrarians retreated. To escape the army, Bob left the elvish city, with the adventurers, looking to continue his life...

Well, thats the end now...but there may be more...

Melkor

I've always been generally happy with the way things have been done in the past. I think that the free form nature definitely helped the game, especially the first two. However I would except a more structured format if Rando thought it necessary to keep things in order.

As for the current (or not so current anymore) game, I think the lay over might be too long now, but I would start playing again if it started up again.

Last comment, isn't it pointless to have the human get +1 to any stat and -1 to any stat?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily, since you get to choose which stats are being adjusted as opposed to having no choice at all with the other races.

Melkor

It's the fact that you choose that makes it pointless, why don't I just put them on the same stat there by completely canceling it out. Or since I choose its easy to just compensate with extra points in those stats.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what the problem is...

You could put them in the same stat if you want to be dopey.

Or if you want a strong, Magical dudewith the addition skill point, you'd put 5 in Physical, 0 in Mental (I doubt you could do that so you probably have to put 1 there) and 4 (or 3) in Magic. So when he's human, Physical increases to 6 while Mental is either -1 or 0 (probably the latter).

So now you can use acrobatics but your physical score is still one of the highest without being a dwarf or ogre.

See?

R

Rando

I was just wondering if it would be OK to abandon the other game and start fresh.

It would be the same free-form style it's always been.

I just never got into this last one. It never clicked with me.

Anyone want to know who the killer was?

I once again apologize for wasting your time and energy.

:(

R

Rando

I will reveal who it is as soon as I have eveyone's OK to start a new game.

P

Prince RXI

It's been so long sence that last one was posted at it is dead. Time to kill it and start a new.

Prince RXI, neutral that is

Melkor

And I admit that the human +1 -1 does have a point because of the fact that you can't put more than 5 in any stat.