RPG, Chapter 4 : Into the Mines

D

Daggertooth

"Thank you Zilore, I will treat it as if it were my own. You wouldn't mind if I enhance it with a bit of rune magic would you?"

I hold the bow, feeling its balance and testing the tension on the string. Finding it surprisingly strong for a short bow.

"I should only need this if we head north. I would rather stay where I can stand, but the northern path is probably the best way. That is my vote."

I Destring my bow and lash it securely onto my pack. I do the same with one of the torches. This way I will have light and free use of my hands.

"Well Jaspar, It appears that your as blind as the rest of us humans. My diluted elvish blood doesn't seem to be equipped with night vision. Here take one of my torches. I don't know how well Rot-gut works as a fuel, But if it is anything like Dwarven spirits it should last a while."

As soon as those with nightvision get out of range I will light the torch that is on my pack.

R

Rando

Well, since a few suggest going up the north passage, and none say the main mine, I'll guess that the north passage it is!

To Dorgath -
You scamper up the north passage, around the corner and out of sight of the others. At 25 paces, the passage turns again and is once more heading north. At 40 paces you come to a leangth of the passage that is cut stone, not natural cavern. Above you, there is a small opening in the cave's ceiling where water is trickling out at a steady pace, and then running down the passage behind you. A few more feet passed where the cave becomes carved-out, you find a heavy wooden door, studded with iron bands. There is a single key-hole and a pull-ring on your side. Upon further investigation, you can see 4 skeletal fingers sticking out from under the door.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is this door blocking further passage or on a side wall?

In any case, I dutifully report back to the others what I've found.

R

Rando

*Oops! Sorry, the door blocks the passage.**

To all players -
Dorgath returns with a report of what he found. Archway speaks, "Intriging. Now who here is adept at picking locks? Or, at least with knocking them down?"

E

EricBess

"Sounds like someone was trying to get out. This could simply be a prison cell. You say the passage ends there? That's not consistent, nor is the workmanship. If the 'boss' is tyrant enough to employ ogres, perhaps not all of his workers are so happy.

"One thing concerns me though. If the back door to the hideout is supposed to be used frequently, why would a skeleton still be blocking the doorway? Perhaps that is not the correct passage after all."

D

Daggertooth

"Well, I could blow the whole thing up, But I'm not willing to do that unless all other options have been carried out."

R

rkoelsch

** I was hospitalized Monday with a bad back. I am unsure of how much I will be on line for the next couple of days so I would like to leave general instructions. I will side with the dwarves on any decision involving the cave. I will carry my staff in one hand and the Globe in the other. I have nothing i can use on the door. I intend on keeping Archway ahead of me.
"Perhaps we should check out the other shaft? Unless someone can handle this door. It is cramped in here so make a decision soon."

S

sageridder

"Maybe it isn't the back door at all,If someone wanted out that bad who knows what kind of nasty might be locked in there.I have limited experience with locks,If that's the way you guys want to go I will try."

***If the consciences is to try the door,I will attempt it.But If that is the case,I will listen at the door,and see if I can see anything through the keyhole first.If not I will follow the party into the mine area keeping an eye on archway.***

D

Daggertooth

"this strange door has made me very curious. What could possibly be back there? It could be anything, but we would never know unless we check it out. I say we take out the door.

By the way, since it is a wood door why don't we just burn it down?"

R

Rando

To Jaspar -
Thedlyn speaks, "Aye, they do. When I was but a whelp, helping my papa in the family mines, three of my cousins were overtaken by a strange mist that seeped up from the very stone."

To all players -
Archway says, "well,let's come to some sort of decision here. Do we try to get passed that door or explore the main mine over there?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I think it is some poor soul who stumbled on this "back door" while trying to escape but could not unlock/get past it. I say we investigate the door, the skeleton may hold some clues."

D

Daggertooth

"Naw, I think that this guy tried to steal from 'da boss' and got caught. Instead of flaying him right there the boss threw him in a prison to rot. That prison being behind that door. But theres only one way to be sure. Lets go check it out. :) "

R

rkoelsch

"I don't think burning it down is a good idea. Any chance of surprise would be negated by the smoke. Perhaps Zilore should try his hand at the door"
"Archway, do you have any ideas how to get beyond the door?"

** Are the hinges visible? Is there a noticeable direction of air movement?

S

sageridder

"It just occurred to me,I hope "N'S" stands for north south.Not for "Narren's" 'Cause "ca***" could stand for "caves",I still wonder where he snuck away too.That might explain the orgers being forewarned.Well lets have a look at that door."

***I'm still keeping my eye on archway.I want too listen at the door,and look to see if I can see into the room beyond through the keyhole before trying the lock.In fact nobody checked to see if it was locked so I will pull the ring and look for any traps before fiddling with the lock.All of this of course someone objects.Sorry for putting so much at one post,I'm going to be in meetings all day and probably won't be able to post again for about 8 hours.***

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Who said anything about burning down the door? That would be a VERY odd thing to do..."

I'll stand behind, ready to do something if the door turns out to unlocked (highly unlikely, unless someone just decided to leave the skeleton fingers there, 'cause if the person couldn't get out then presumably the door will not open easily).

R

Rando

Sorry guys, but the game will have to be put on hold until next week.

My maternal grandfather died last night, and I have family obligations to attend to.

See you all later...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
A voice booms from above "Stop! The game will commence at a later date!"

I take to meditating and sparring with the other members or the party, practicing my unarmed combat techniques against the various weapon types (in our "soundproof" bubble, of course. If the noise is going to actually have an effect on gameplay, I will just meditate).

* Sorry about the news, Rando *

R

Rando

I'm back!!!

When I returned from my 3 days of bereavment due to my grandfather's death, I discovered that all the computers, and indeed the server for my unit, had been switched out for new ones.

It's taken me this long to get hooked back up again. It's not easy when the Internet Conection Wizard has been removed and you have to guess at proxy settings.

But, at any rate, next week I'm off for a week's vacation. I am going to bright, sunny Florida.

Are there any objections to calling where we have left off a cliff-hanger, and picking up again when I get back?

Will anyone still be interested in playing?

Please let me know.

Thanks!