4 Horned Kavu

Other:
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Shock
4 Giant Growth
4 Rancor
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Fastbond

I think I need another creature.. any ideas of what to cut and what to add?
Critiques?
Sideboard?

Ferret

Staff member
Call me cliche, but those Haste Echo Goblins from Urza's Saga were great to have. If you have the upkeep they keep hurting your opponent - if not, they're like a tiny Ball Lightning...

-Ferret

"Nothin beats high-speed pain (pun intended)"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think a reset button would be good, like Jokulhaups.

Enchantment removal like Naturalize. Probably replace the Shocks with those.

Regrowth.

The Sprites seem an odd choice... unless you're just looking for a 1 green drop.

If you're using Horned Kavu, I'd say replace the Sprites with Wall of Blossoms for card-drawing, then add a couple Hurricanes in to deal with flyers.

T

train

Spidey made some great suggestions...

Personally I'd run 2 Gaea's Blessings to recur the graveyard and draw a card...

As for the enchantment removal - maybe go a step further and play Creeping Mold - that way you can rid the board of any artifacts, creatures, or lands that you don't like...

It is more expensive, but it's versatility is worth it...

or...

Chain of Acid!...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Is there a cheap green creature that lets you draw when it CIP?...

Again - I'm without CrystalKeep at work!!!...:mad:

(The way that sounds... I should be glad I have the net at work!)

:mad:

T

train

I agree... and a 0/4 card-drawer isn't bad...

I just looked at the deck and saw it as aggressive... that's why I was wondering...:D :cool:

That and i couldn't do my own search!:mad:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but he doesn't have a lot of removal, especially if he actually takes out the Shocks. I was just trying to see if there's a better use for the Horned Kavu than returning the current creatures.

If he intends to kill creatures by his creatures and expects a lot to go to the graveyard, maybe Lhurgoyf...

T

train

If a lot is going to the graveyard... maybe a gobin bombardment...

D

DeathMaster666

I like the Wall of Blossoms idea. I'll board Creeping Molds and maybe drop the Shocks for them. Aside from that, Obliterate is a good reset for late game, and maybe I could throw in some Jackal Pups for 2/1 fun.

R

Reverend Love

Tinderwalls for early game defense and acceleration OR Seething Song, which is very underrated.

Drop the fastbond. Unless you've got the ability to tutor, your relying strictly on the luck of your opening hand.

Drop the Giant Growths. Either replace with more creatures or burn of your choice.

Find room to slip in 4 Browbeats. After your early beats opponents won't have the 5 life to spare..and you'll get your three. If not it's a great way to set up bolt.

If you can find room for Yavimaya Elder. He's a 2/1 for GG1 which sucks for this deck. However you can pay 2 to sac and draw a card AND whenever Elder goes to the graveyard you can search your deck for 2 basic land. This helps thin your deck out AND increase the likelihood of drawing a threat as opposed to land.

I concur with Train's suggestion of Creeping Mold. All to often some type of monkey wrench is thrown before a beats deck which completely kills their speed attack.

Drop Horned Kavu...there's better creatures out there. With less debilitating costs.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you do drop the Kavu's, then probably drop the Wall of Blossoms as the Reverend says. Some possible substitutions are River Boa, Jolrael's Centaur (I usually think of old school cards first :) ), even Mirri, Cat Warrior.

D

DeathMaster666

I think I can get my hands on River Boas, and I think Jackal Pups can round out my creature selection. Maybe drop Giant Growth for Browbeat? What about Fires of Yavimaya?

R

Reverend Love

Fires might be a good idea it's definitely one of those "gotta try it" type deal.

What about throwing in a Hurricane or two? Your weak at flying, however it's a beats deck so you should be up on life. Hurricaning would be nice as it'll cover your bootie while whacking yet more of their life total down...plus your creatures come out unscathed.

I

Istanbul

I realize that I entered this thing late, but...

If you want a green "CIP, draw a card" creature, there's always Multani's Acolyte. GG for a 2/1 that draws you a card when it CIPs. Yeah, there's echo, but there you go.

B

BigBlue

Another probably late comment...

But, Creeping Mold doesn't get Creatures - basically everything but - Land/Artifact/Enchantment.

Given the cheapness of this deck, 22 lands seems a bit much (are those 2 fetchlands? that helps)... Maybe you could put a couple cyclers in there or something to discard them to.

D

DeathMaster666

A bit late; I was out of town. About the land, the count is pending until I can get more fetches. I'll probably cut the count to 20 with 4 fetches, maybe 18 if I can get a hold of duals. I am gonna try Fires, as that was one of my favorite decks to play back in Invasion block. Thanks for all of the help, and keep the suggestions coming.

A

Academy Man

If you are going to use fires of yavimaya, saproling burst is great. Maybe use bonesplitter instead of giant growth. Ascetic troll is also good if you can get any, the one wheel of fortune seems a little random, maybe replace it with a black vise. Incinerate is a very good burn spell instead of shock.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, the Wheel is there to refill his hand after he empties it (which he is likely to do, given the general cheapness of his spells). Besides, you'd need 4 Black Vises to make the chances of getting them more effective.